Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Hello from Julz, new member

Ex patternmaker to the toy industry

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julian Saunders 122/01/2020 16:52:31
7 forum posts

Hello fellow model engineers. I see that others use a Unimat 3, I bought one 40 years ago in Holland, and when returned to the UK discovered the voltage difference caused the motor to overheat, so with the help of Rex Garrod, (robot wars fame, etc) I changed the power to a 0.5kw DC motor, with speed controller, I made new toothed pulleys and swapped to toothed belts. It is now capable of reducing a 1" brass bar to 0.5" in a single pass. As for the oilite bearings on the verticle milling attachement, I had Manganese Bronze of Ipswich do a refit when I had 0.3mm end slop, they sent it back with new bearings and 0.5mm end slop, I'm sad to report, so I made a new larger head, 40.000mm turned slide, stuck in 2 big taper bearings, and put a 0.3hp 3 phase motor on, with speed control, and reverse, you can't stop it with your hand when it goes slow, drills down to 0.3mm lovely, managed to get it to 1/000mm accuracy making alloy adjustable head. I have used the machine an awful lot, have reground the bed a few times...I actually have 3 of the machines !! Used mostly for master patterns for Matchbox and Corgi, Scaledown, Border Fine Arts etc.

Neil Wyatt22/01/2020 20:55:52
18140 forum posts
713 photos
77 articles

Hullo Julz, welcome to the forum, be nice to see pics of the maxi-unimat.

Neil

Julian Saunders 122/01/2020 21:19:47
7 forum posts

Thank you, Neil, I'll get in the shed as soon as it's a bit warmer, and after I have seen the nurse on Friday !! I'll post a pic of the S/S and phosphor bronze and brass 3" rotary table i have made for it, as well. Julz

Brian H22/01/2020 22:40:15
1742 forum posts
112 photos

Hello Julz and welcome.

noel shelley22/01/2020 23:00:16
112 forum posts

Hello Julz, glad you've come to join this happy band of minstels, just play nicely ! Noel.

John Haine23/01/2020 07:54:08
3272 forum posts
175 photos

img_20181127_172122697_hdr.jpg

Welcome Julz. Nice to have another U3 hacker on here. Here's a photo of mine, now has a collet spindle, 3 phase motor and VFD. More photos in one of my albums, including of the Turnado - inspired hand turning tool.

Former Member23/01/2020 08:36:20
1329 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Julian Saunders 123/01/2020 20:26:12
7 forum posts

Bill, I was lucky enough to get the stuff for my hacks gratis...actually a swap...BSL bearings had bought out Fenner, and a skip sat outside which they allowed me to fill a Sierra with 0.5 tons of pulleys, belts etc...I then swapped half of it for the kit to upgrade mine...your outfit looks the bizz...how much did the motor and controller cost for yours ? The motor for mine is as long as the lathe..I'll be taking some pics tomorrow, hopefully.

Former Member23/01/2020 21:19:33
1329 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest