By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Granville senior lathe

Frontal view of gear selection needed for gears when cutting thread!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gareth Wilkinson22/01/2020 12:20:47
4 forum posts

Hi there I have a Granville senior model Lathe and was wondering if somebody could please show me a pic of gear layout for metric thread cutting? I can't even find a pic of the model that I have on Google, so I am contacting you guys to see if you could help me! It cuts metric and imperial threads! It has 8 slots on the tumbler. None of the others I have seen have a tumbler on the lead screw!

Thanks

Kind regards

Gareth

Vic22/01/2020 13:15:39
2398 forum posts
12 photos

Maybe some pictures Here may be of help?

Brian Wood22/01/2020 14:27:19
2069 forum posts
37 photos

Hello Gareth,

I think I can help you with tables, not pictures but the information in the pdf is all clear in telling you what fits where

The Granville lathes were I think Myford copies with 8 tpi leadscrews and 20 DP 14.5 degree pitch angle change wheel gearing. I don't know if Myford supplied gears can be used directly but it wouldn't surprise me if they can

I have a pdf of all manner of gearing for 8 tpi leadscrew lathes without gearboxes but due to some irritating problem I can't solve I can't add that to my albums, the relevant button to make it happen is hidden from view.

Send me your email address and I will send you a copy

Regards Brian

wood_y(at)btinternet(dot)com all in lower case, no spaces, note there is an underscore [ _ ] between the d and y

Clive Foster22/01/2020 14:50:15
1987 forum posts
73 photos

Gareth

When you say it has "8 slots on the tumbler. None of the others I have seen have tumbler on the lead screw" it sounds as if you are saying it has a screwcutting gearbox fitted. Tumbler normally refers to the mechanism by which the lead screw direction of rotation is reversed using tow gears on a lever operated pivot.

If it has got a gearbox the only Granville machine documented as having gearbox is the Star, essentially a slightly enlarged and improved Senior. See this link for details **LINK**. If it is actually a Star or has the Star gearbox fitted this unit is essentially a Southbend 9" gearbox copy and therefore functionally the same. Boxford and Denford also used a SouthBend copy.

Alternatively the machine may have been fitted with a home built gearbox such as the Sparey and Agola designs or the Hemingway kit shown here **LINK** .

It is of course possible that a SouthBend, Boxford or similar small lathe gearbox has been grafted on by previous user.

Whatever the metric screwcutting conversion will be done in the same way using 127-100 compound gear pair to do the metric conversion with appropriate other gears fitted. An internet search for Boxford Metric Screwcutting Gear Chart will give several to choose from. In general the method is identical with the extra gear choices being governed primarily by the lead screw pitch and gears available. Published charts are arranged for clarity and simplicity with a simple linear format and need a selection of extra gears. Versions using fewer gears can be found but then to be harder to follow as the changes hop around rather. If slightly imperfect, but still adequate for faster use, conversion is acceptable you can get away with even fewer gears. Various examples can be found on the internet.

Clive

Gareth Wilkinson22/01/2020 19:18:39
4 forum posts
Posted by Brian Wood on 22/01/2020 14:27:19:

Hello Gareth,

I think I can help you with tables, not pictures but the information in the pdf is all clear in telling you what fits where

The Granville lathes were I think Myford copies with 8 tpi leadscrews and 20 DP 14.5 degree pitch angle change wheel gearing. I don't know if Myford supplied gears can be used directly but it wouldn't surprise me if they can

I have a pdf of all manner of gearing for 8 tpi leadscrew lathes without gearboxes but due to some irritating problem I can't solve I can't add that to my albums, the relevant button to make it happen is hidden from view.

Send me your email address and I will send you a copy

Regards Brian

wood_y(at)btinternet(dot)com all in lower case, no spaces, note there is an underscore [ _ ] between the d and y

That would be fantastic if you could!

Thanks so much, really appreciate your help

Kind regards

Gareth

Gareth Wilkinson22/01/2020 19:20:17
4 forum posts
Posted by Clive Foster on 22/01/2020 14:50:15:

Gareth

When you say it has "8 slots on the tumbler. None of the others I have seen have tumbler on the lead screw" it sounds as if you are saying it has a screwcutting gearbox fitted. Tumbler normally refers to the mechanism by which the lead screw direction of rotation is reversed using tow gears on a lever operated pivot.

If it has got a gearbox the only Granville machine documented as having gearbox is the Star, essentially a slightly enlarged and improved Senior. See this link for details **LINK**. If it is actually a Star or has the Star gearbox fitted this unit is essentially a Southbend 9" gearbox copy and therefore functionally the same. Boxford and Denford also used a SouthBend copy.

Alternatively the machine may have been fitted with a home built gearbox such as the Sparey and Agola designs or the Hemingway kit shown here **LINK** .

It is of course possible that a SouthBend, Boxford or similar small lathe gearbox has been grafted on by previous user.

Whatever the metric screwcutting conversion will be done in the same way using 127-100 compound gear pair to do the metric conversion with appropriate other gears fitted. An internet search for Boxford Metric Screwcutting Gear Chart will give several to choose from. In general the method is identical with the extra gear choices being governed primarily by the lead screw pitch and gears available. Published charts are arranged for clarity and simplicity with a simple linear format and need a selection of extra gears. Versions using fewer gears can be found but then to be harder to follow as the changes hop around rather. If slightly imperfect, but still adequate for faster use, conversion is acceptable you can get away with even fewer gears. Various examples can be found on the internet.

Clive

Thanks so much Clive!

Appreciate your feedback!

Kind regards

Gareth

Gareth Wilkinson22/01/2020 19:21:58
4 forum posts
Posted by Vic on 22/01/2020 13:15:39:

Maybe some pictures Here may be of help?

Thanks Vic appreciate the help!

Will study those pics!

Kind regards

Gareth

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Allendale Electronics
cowells
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest