Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Problem with my downstairs ;)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Shent21/01/2020 21:09:02
46 forum posts
25 photos

Evening all,

As aluded to in the title i have a problem with my nuts, that is......identifying them. Anyone have any ideas at all? They look like er collet nuts but I have seen these used on other machines so just wanted to check if it could be anything else?20200121_203733.jpg

Cheers

Mark

Shent21/01/2020 21:10:16
46 forum posts
25 photos

Should have also stated that this is a picture of the top of my column, the nuts are holding the bearing against the top plate and the acme screw.

Pete Rimmer21/01/2020 21:14:30
772 forum posts
50 photos

They look like regular slotted round nuts to me.

HOWARDT21/01/2020 21:20:51
580 forum posts
15 photos

May be bearing locknuts, dependant on thread size and pitch. Look up SKF KM nut or other bearing manufacturer, they are all to a standard.

Mike Poole21/01/2020 21:26:20
2688 forum posts
64 photos

The nuts for ER collets are designed to be tightened with a C spanner apart from very small sizes. Collet nuts are not the only nuts to use a C spanner as you have discovered. C spanner’s are very compact compared to a normal open end spanner although probably similar to a ring spanner but the nut is smaller so the whole thing is more compact.

Mike

Shent21/01/2020 21:53:36
46 forum posts
25 photos

Thanks all, they could be slotted round nuts Pete or bearing nuts as Howard said. Regardless as Mike said a C spanner should get them off so a quick measure up and should be able to order a pair of them. Thanks guys, I do try and search for these things first but I know the experiece found in this forum always gets me to the answer.

Cheers

Mark

JasonB22/01/2020 06:59:55
18603 forum posts
2046 photos
1 articles

Just looks like a nut and locknut to me. I have the same on lathe feed shaft and the spindle of my mill.

Phil P22/01/2020 08:13:15
639 forum posts
166 photos

I get these type of nuts in at work fairly often, as stated above they are lock nuts but they always have a finer pitch than you you would see on a standard nut for that diameter. You can also buy the matching tab washers from the same place.

Typical supplier

**LINK**

Phil

old mart22/01/2020 21:26:46
1903 forum posts
151 photos

ER collet nuts have more than four recesses, but the single ended spanner of the right radius would still work. What diameter are they? They might have a left hand thread, look carefully at the bit of thread showing in the top nut.

Edited By old mart on 22/01/2020 21:27:57

Howard Lewis23/01/2020 22:45:54
3536 forum posts
2 photos

Have just used two C spanners to reset the preload on the bearings on my mini lathe.

Which is what your nuts are intended for, by the looks of the picture..

ER collet nuts usually have eight slots rather than four, although a C spanner will tighten or slacken them.

Howard

Shent24/01/2020 21:57:54
46 forum posts
25 photos

They could have been lock nuts or bearing nuts Jason, they look exactly like what Phil linked. Unfortunately Mart I brought one of the fork like collet spanners when i got my first er collet so wouldn't have worked anyway but I think the OD was around 22mm, standard right hand thread as well luckily. My adjustable spanners arrived today Howard and had the nuts off in no time, I can get into the guts of the thing now to take some measures for the replacement block that i will need to make for the ballscrew. Thanks all for your help.

Mark20200124_200321.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Warco
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest