Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What to blacken steel with

Colouring steel

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steviegtr18/01/2020 02:09:29
1354 forum posts
140 photos

Anyone know how to blacken steel or any other metal. Is it a dye or a process with chemicals. I use liver of sulphur for Zinc. But not sure about other metal's. By blacken I mean like gunmetal etc.

Steve.

Thor18/01/2020 06:00:04
1259 forum posts
39 photos

Hi Steve,

You can buy so called cold blacking solutions for steel, a friend of mine has tried and it works. I just heat the mild steel parts to about 270 to 300 deg. C and apply linseed oil, the treatment will to some degree protect against corrosion. Others use motor oil. The treatment is best done outdoors.

Thor

Baz18/01/2020 07:46:44
449 forum posts

I have also used the cold blacking kits for steel and am quite impressed with them, the only one that I cannot get to work is the brass blacking kit.

Danny M2Z18/01/2020 08:39:07
892 forum posts
283 photos
Posted by Steviegtr on 18/01/2020 02:09:29:

Anyone know how to blacken steel or any other metal. Is it a dye or a process with chemicals. I use liver of sulphur for Zinc. But not sure about other metal's. By blacken I mean like gunmetal etc.

Steve.

Just google "cold blue for barrels" then pick whatever you can legally purchase.

One tip, Cleanliness and de-greasing is mandatory.

* Danny M *

Mick B118/01/2020 09:10:41
1653 forum posts
88 photos

Gun-bluing paste G96 works for me on a warm and well-degreased surface. It's generally well-regarded as a quick and relatively simple home bluing or blacking solution. Last for decades at least. There's a Phillips lookalike that works pretty much the same. See the 24-pdr cannon in my album for evidence.

Edited By Mick B1 on 18/01/2020 09:11:59

Mike Woods 118/01/2020 22:11:56
31 forum posts
1 photos

There was a discussion of blueing (and blacking) steel in a recent post, which may be useful.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=141342&p=1

Steviegtr18/01/2020 23:33:37
1354 forum posts
140 photos

Thanks all.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest