Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Silver Soldering Brass

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Kemp20/01/2020 22:08:46
422 forum posts
18 photos

Bexley Heath, Hempstead Heath, too large?

Paul.

Steviegtr20/01/2020 22:16:12
1152 forum posts
94 photos

My 1st job an apprentice sheet metal worker involved a full college lecture on gases. The Oxygen was usually at 2000psi full & liquid. The Acetylene was a spongy mass & much heavier to move & was 225psi. Then they brought in anti backfire arresters. Big signs saying no oil near oxygen. Learnt to braze gas weld at 15 years old it was a great 6 mths till I changed careers & became a Sparky. I never did any Silver soldering. Watched my mate do the boilers of his steam engines though.

not done it yet20/01/2020 22:24:20
4472 forum posts
16 photos

The Oxygen was usually at 2000psi full & liquid.

A gas cannot be converted to a liquid by compression. Oxygen is a gas at room temperature.

not done it yet20/01/2020 22:25:18
4472 forum posts
16 photos

Double post - deleted

Edited By not done it yet on 20/01/2020 22:25:57

Andrew Johnston20/01/2020 22:39:02
5388 forum posts
618 photos

The oxygen cylinder in my glider is at 2000psi and the oxygen certainly isn't stored as a liquid. When filling the cylinder at a club it is normal to use large oxygen cylinders, as used for welding, as these are normally at 3000psi when full. Mostly commonly three large cylinders are used in sequence starting with the one at the lowest pressure, usually below 2000psi, topping up with the intermediate cylinder and finally using the fullest cylinder to get to 2000psi in the glider cylinder.

At room temperature it is impossible to liquify oxygen by compressing it, as the critical point for oxygen is at -118.6°C.

Andrew

RRMBK20/01/2020 22:51:03
133 forum posts
18 photos

Take a bit of time to read the Workshop practice book No 6 by Tubal Cain , the late TD Walshaw . One will learn and understand all one ever needs to know about soldering, silver soldering and brazing and the distinctions between them. It may be dated in relation to its references to cadmium based products ( at least my older copy is ) but that doesn't in any way affect the superb explanations of the theory and practical aspects of this interesting and much misunderstood process. Happy reading and you will certainly achieve better joints after studying this straightforward and well written book.

It might be worth checking the acetelyne situation with your insurers. Mine immediately responded that my house and contents insurance would be null and void if I were storing acetelyne, even outside in a non attached building.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
cowells
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest