The Workshop Progress Thread 2020

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steviegtr28/09/2020 21:38:40
1660 forum posts
202 photos
Posted by peak4 on 28/09/2020 21:12:43:
Posted by Oldiron on 28/09/2020 18:21:53:

Nice job Bill. I have made 9 of these 250 style holders for myself. I made 5 of mine so they will take 20mm tools. Instead of the std 12mm lip at the bottom I made it 7mm. Never had a problem with the smaller dimension.

The boring bar holder is 250-204. It has a 25mm ID hole and a 25 OD x 19mm ID split sleeve for smaller bars. I also made split sleeves for 16 & 12mm bars.

regards

Cheers, The original incentive was the knurling tool holder, as I was using an extended nose one I'd made previously.
The Boxford shaper has an 8" stroke, so it wasn't much harder to make four, adding up to a 7½" block.
In my case, I do have a 202 holder with the groove in the bottom housing a larger boring bar; these two are 7 & 12mm.
I don't have any other larger tooling, so these will suffice for the time being, unless I add a couple of dedicated parting tool holders.

Bill

I also made some of those a while ago. I have parting tool as seen below. This was part way through making it.

eclipse 2.jpg&

& nearly finished item.

parting off 1.jpg

Final item

parting tool finished.jpg

Steve.

Edited By Steviegtr on 28/09/2020 21:39:31

Edited By Steviegtr on 28/09/2020 21:46:49

Anthony Knights01/10/2020 19:59:20
441 forum posts
190 photos

I have made a start on the "Grasshopper" engine by Stewart Hart after he kindly emailed me the plans. So far I have completed the horizontal beam assembly.beam assy.jpg

JasonB05/10/2020 11:58:59
19170 forum posts
2105 photos
1 articles

The weekend saw a few more bits done for my Thompson engine, firstly the exhaust was bent up from 8mm copper tube, soldered to a threaded spigot and locking collar turned

Then then all the parts for the carb were made up, similar design to the one I made for the Midget engine with a few alterations

All was done by flitting back and forth between the lathe and manual mill with the exception of the throttle leaver which was less than a two minute job for the CNC to cut and no sign of any difference running it with the revised Free F360.

JasonB31/10/2020 19:11:49
19170 forum posts
2105 photos
1 articles

After a brief interlude for some top secret pattern making the CNC was dusted down so I could get back to making metal swarf. Starting from the bottom this is the first part of a new engine based ob the 36cc Wall 2-stroke but scaled down from it's original 1.5" bore to 24mm it will be approx 11cc.

Part is 60mm long 6082 Aluminium, Adaptive cleared, ramp to shape, horizontal to tops of lugs, spot and then two different drill operations. The slight visible line between the tops of the two lugs is just a change in cutter direction where it did a cut all round at 12mm leaving a horizontal witness mark, all the others are at a slight slope being cut on a 0.33mm ramp. ( cutter goes all the way around with a constant downwards travel to bring it 0.33mm lower each loop.)

DiogenesII01/11/2020 09:33:39
148 forum posts
56 photos

Always nice to see progress on the Thompson, I think it's a fascinating design - still can't work out whether it's the work of a genius or of the Devil, though..

And what's that carelessly-placed narrow-angle "V" on the bench behind?

JasonB01/11/2020 09:59:08
19170 forum posts
2105 photos
1 articles

Thanks, Thompson has been running but is stripped down for tarting up and painting.

That's my Hoglet that I built in about 2010 and never quite finished, but have been doing the last few items on that recently.

DiogenesII01/11/2020 17:27:16
148 forum posts
56 photos

Looking forward to seeing the finger mincer run - and progress on the Hoglet.. it's good to see some engines, thanks for posting

David Caunt01/11/2020 19:54:06
39 forum posts
15 photos

cylinder and valve block_0803.jpghalf beam assembled_0779.jpgSeeing Anthony's Grasshopper Beam made me wish I'd chosen something simpler. This beam is a bit more complicated but when all the rivets lined up it was quite a gratifying moment. all the bits for the beam_0772.jpg

This was in May at 2 hours on most days it takes a long while to get anywhere. Here is the cylinder and part finished poppet valve block.

cylinder and valve block_0802.jpg

David Caunt01/11/2020 20:08:48
39 forum posts
15 photos

Sorry Pics and writing seems to be all over the place and it was started in September. DOH!!

John Hinkley08/11/2020 10:21:38
974 forum posts
333 photos

Spurred on by lockdown Mk2 and interest from steveiegtr on the "What did you do today" thread, amonst no others, I decided to go ahead with the construction of the low-profile rotary table. I have further refined and simplified the design and incorporated a few improvements and it now looks like this:

Rotary table Alibre Atom file

I also thought that I'd add a series of short videos to my YouTube channel to document the build and help pass the time. Suffice to say, I won't be planning a trip to the Oscars next year! If you want a laugh at my expense, have a look at this:

Low profile rotary table

Parts 2 and 3 are in production and will appear in due course.

John

John Hinkley21/11/2020 19:36:23
974 forum posts
333 photos

Spent a goodly part of the day carving the vernier plate out on the mill. Lots of vibrations, so I didn't bother to video it all, just took a few stills and left the video to the "sweep-up" bit at the end. In the light of the experience, I amended the Atom drawings to reflect the final, final, version to reflect the changes I've made to make it easier to produce.

GA final iteration

This is the vernier plate with the major machining completed and the vernier holes being drilled:

Drilling vernier holes

It's a little blurred as its grabbed from the video.

Still got to clean up the edges and then make the minor parts to finish the project.

John

Anthony Knights25/11/2020 16:35:14
441 forum posts
190 photos

Since my last post, I have made some more bits for the Stewart Hart "Grasshopper" engine.

assemblies.jpg

These are - Eccentric assembly, Main axel and crank, Piston rod assembly.

I have also done some of the "fiddely bits" which seem to have taken forever.

fiddley_bits.jpg

These are - Cylinder base, The "A" frame assembly, The valve linkage assembly.

They all need "fettlling" to tidy them up a bit, but I don't want to make them too perfect as the original machine was probably made mainly from castings. The cylinder base is made from aluminium and is a bit too shiny for me, so I'll have to treat it some way (paint?) to tone it down.

Next job is the cylinder and the end caps.

John Hinkley28/11/2020 15:41:15
974 forum posts
333 photos

Today, I completed the build of my low-profile rotary table with 1° vernier indexing plate. It's taken a lot longer than I thought, due mainly to producing videos of the build at the same time (and having to learn how to use the video editor). Here's the finished article:

Finished!

The caliper reads 150mm, difficult to read in this photograph. The matchbox is not part of the design,just placed there for an idea of scale. The overall height is 26mm.

You can see the whole series on my YouTube channel HERE , should you so wish. Be warned, however, it's a long series, but you can always skip the boring (and turning) bits.

John

Steviegtr28/11/2020 16:59:22
1660 forum posts
202 photos
Posted by John Hinkley on 28/11/2020 15:41:15:

Today, I completed the build of my low-profile rotary table with 1° vernier indexing plate. It's taken a lot longer than I thought, due mainly to producing videos of the build at the same time (and having to learn how to use the video editor). Here's the finished article:

Finished!

The caliper reads 150mm, difficult to read in this photograph. The matchbox is not part of the design,just placed there for an idea of scale. The overall height is 26mm.

You can see the whole series on my YouTube channel HERE , should you so wish. Be warned, however, it's a long series, but you can always skip the boring (and turning) bits.

John

Very nice. Now on to look at your video.

Steve.

martin perman29/11/2020 17:43:53
1894 forum posts
79 photos

I'm not making anything like what preceeds my post but I am making a punch and die set to punch a a small hole into a piece of 0.6mm thin spring steel to make a suspension spring for one of my clocks.

The die consists of two off 6mm thick by 40mm wide bright mild steel plates that are bolted together to hold the spring strip in place and today I have machined in both pieces a 2mm wide x 4.03mm long slot through both plates.

Some of you may think "and" well I've never used such a small end mill and I didnt know whether my mills maximum speed would be fast enough for the cutter. I first drilled two holes 1.9mm dia, 2mm between centres then very carefully, my machine by the way is a large round column mill/drill, took my cutter into the first hole to a depth of 0,5mm and traversed across to the next hole and then down 0.5mm again until I finally started to break into the second plate, I then unbolted the first plate and carried out the same process until a slot appeared in the second plate. I dont have any power feed so it was very slowly fed by hand and when I had finished both slots I decided to start breathing again.

For what ever reason I decided to but a pair of 2mm dia carbide end mills and I must say I'm pleased with the results and finish.

Just out of curiosity what spindle speed should these cutters rotate at, my Mills maximum speed is just short of 3000 rpm.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 29/11/2020 17:45:54 Spelling mistooks

Edited By martin perman on 29/11/2020 17:49:53

Anthony Knights01/12/2020 16:05:23
441 forum posts
190 photos

Well it's plan "B". The lathe already had the collet chuck fitted, so I decided to make a start on the con rod for the beam engine. The picture shows the progress so far. The bit in the middle was done with the ball turning gadget I made during the last lock-down. I still have to saw off the excess bits on the ends and machine and drill the cross heads. That is tomorrow's project. Once done that is sheet 5 of the drawings completed. I have already completed sheets 3, 7 and 8.con-rod1.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest