By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What Did You Do Today 2020

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nigel Graham 230/03/2020 23:10:06
585 forum posts

Nice piece of work Nicholas, but though I would not call that "cheating" I would not like to try turning anything, even soft plastic, with all that overhang!

Assuming material available I think I'd prefer to make such an item from round rod and cut the flange square, but I realise you made have had only square stock to hand.

Nigel Graham 230/03/2020 23:27:56
585 forum posts

Steady (ish! by my standards of progress) on the steam-wagon, completing the two longitudinals to support the boiler. At each end is a short of piece of angle bolted along it, over-stepping and screwed down to, a cross-member . (Vertical firebox, 7" dia outside, horizontal shell 6" dia; distance between chassis rails 12" increasing aft past the boiler.)

These are to be trimmed in height for appearance, leaving a low flange for stiffness, but it occurred to me that if cut to the appropriate shape and size they would also make ideal lifting lugs for the boiler; an awkward problem I have yet to solve satisfactorily.....

.... Later thinking revealed they would not. Plenty strong enough but not the right way to go about it for other reasons.

At least thinking is free, unlike metal and electricity, and still legal!

Nicholas Farr30/03/2020 23:39:44
2213 forum posts
1064 photos

Hi Nigel, thanks for your comments. The overhang wasn't any problem as it was supported with a live centre. I do have some larger round rod, but it is different type of plastic and I would have had to remove almost four times as much material, the piece I used was an off cut and happen to have a slightly oblong size that suited the job exactly.

Regards Nick.

Nathan Sharpe30/03/2020 23:40:24
146 forum posts

Stood in line for my prescriptions with many other people all spaced at the correct distance. It took 45 min with 20 min of that taken up by a 30+ YO who was asking how to manage his. He left red-faced when told the dispensing date is on his Med's and all he had to do is count and that his prescription had been ready to collect 6 days ago!

Makes you wonder.

Nathan.

Nicholas Farr30/03/2020 23:45:54
2213 forum posts
1064 photos

Hi Mick B1, like your wooden racers. yes

Regards Nick.

martin perman31/03/2020 08:52:23
1812 forum posts
78 photos
Posted by Nathan Sharpe on 30/03/2020 23:40:24:

Stood in line for my prescriptions with many other people all spaced at the correct distance. It took 45 min with 20 min of that taken up by a 30+ YO who was asking how to manage his. He left red-faced when told the dispensing date is on his Med's and all he had to do is count and that his prescription had been ready to collect 6 days ago!

Makes you wonder.

Nathan.

I work part time delivering medication for a local chemist, I share the job with another gentleman and split the week between us doing approx 20 hrs a fortnight in the afternoons, it amazes me how difficult customers are and out the back of the shop are boxes and boxes of medication which has not been collected by customers, this can be reused by the chemist but they are so busy with current prescriptions they havent the time to restock, the delivery side has increased but its annoying when i deliver meds to people who answer the door are only yards frm the shop and fitter than me, I love the job though as a lot of my customers only see me and nobody else.

Martin P

John Hinkley31/03/2020 13:42:20
850 forum posts
286 photos

Having a bit of a break from the engineering side today and taken up camera (phone actually) weilding. I decided that I'd publish a video on YouTube of my workshop and some of the toys I have accumulated for your and other's amusemant and derision!. I don't think Steven Sleilberg need have any worries! I intend adding to this series of one from time to time by presenting workshop projects that I have completed over the years, either in a group if small projects or singly if more complicated.

Anybody interested?

Link to video

It's only the second time in ten years that I've used a video editing program - that's my excuse.

John

Anthony Knights31/03/2020 23:05:52
376 forum posts
159 photos

Had an easy day today, finally made a basic carriage stop for my mini lathe. Cut the "V" on the milling machine using a tungsten carbide bladed router cutter. I will make a proper locking handle for it tomorrow.

carriage_stop.jpg

Edited By Anthony Knights on 31/03/2020 23:07:04

Paul Lousick31/03/2020 23:21:58
1376 forum posts
532 photos

A carriage stop is something I have been telling myself to make when I get a round-tuit. Now that I am forced to isolate myself in the workshop, I have no excuse. wink 2

Paul.

Nigel Graham 231/03/2020 23:47:52
585 forum posts

Anthony -

What you've shown suggests a use for one of those old, small Vee-blocks that have long lost their partners, and seem to appear from I know not where. Without affecting the Vee itself, too.

Not long ago I needed a carriage stop "now". I simply drilled a hole in the middle of a bit of steel bar and held it to the bed with the clamp-bolt and plate borrowed from the fixed steady not itself needed for the particular task.

It does need tidying up to make it look the part, but it solved the immediate problem.

Its one drawback is that swarf trapped between the bar and the carriage retards the stop point, though at least that error is on the curable side. A quick waft with a brush sorts that.

Nigel Graham 231/03/2020 23:52:28
585 forum posts

Had a little break from making steam-wagon bits, to carry out a couple of catch-up tasks -

Placing an order by telephone for fasteners.

Tidied the workshop. So that's where the dividers went!

Then started to make a lifting cradle for the boiler, which is a heavy and awkward thing to manipulate.

Paul Lousick01/04/2020 01:37:12
1376 forum posts
532 photos

Nigel,

I made a cradle on wheels for the boiler which made it easier to move. Mine is 10" dia and heavy. It could be set with the boiler at the height of the finished engine and be used to assemble all of the associated parts. Firebox, smokebox, hornplates, etc. The boiler could be rotated in the cradle, making it easy to assemble and weld plates and fittings.

Paul

hornplate mount.jpg

Edited By Paul Lousick on 01/04/2020 01:38:54

Jeff Dayman01/04/2020 07:25:32
1792 forum posts
45 photos

That'll save your back Paul! Nice job.

Mick, love the race cars! The kids will have fun with those.

John, I tried camera/phone welding a while ago but there just wasn't enough heat from the flash..................oh it was we i lding! smiley

Nicholas Farr01/04/2020 07:57:27
2213 forum posts
1064 photos

Hi, yesterday I dug out my Hobbymat to turn a scrap piece of 2 X 2 wood for my bespoke nuts, having first sawn off the corners to form an octagon, which reduced the number of passes needed.

prepared 2 by 2.jpg

It was then turned for an easy fit in a bobbin.

turned to size.jpg

A couple of pieces were then cut off, faced off one end and a 6.5 hole right drilled through the centre. They were then turned around and the other end was faced off to length and the hole was opened out to 1/2" for the depth of the nuts. The nut was then pushed into the hole and marked for the recess, this was then bored out to depth of the nut base, to the narrow dimension.

prept recess.jpg

The recess was then finished by hand using my Dremel and a couple of suitable cutters.

finished recess.jpg

The nuts were then fitted.

nuts fitted.jpg

They are now ready the be glued onto the inside of the cabinet.

Regards Nick.

Nicholas Farr01/04/2020 08:07:39
2213 forum posts
1064 photos

Hi Paul, like you cradle, very sensible move. (a pun somewhere there I think)

Regards Nick.

Lainchy01/04/2020 09:11:24
236 forum posts
88 photos

I finally made a start on Juliet II after pulling together lots of resources (Via help on here, and purchases from Kennions, eBay and of course John Tom's site)

Lots to learn and indeed, starting on the valve gear, I've had to make / remake some of the parts so far. With each one though, I've learnt something. I figured I'd start on the valve gear as it was minimum outlay. If this bit can be done, then I'm confident I can make the chassis up. We'll see.

20200331_154226.jpg

Nick Clarke 301/04/2020 10:28:47
684 forum posts
21 photos

Lainchy you have a PM

Anthony Knights01/04/2020 19:22:50
376 forum posts
159 photos

Finished the carriage stop by fitting a proper operating handle. Also fitted a bolt to act as the stop. This is not intended to be adjustable as I can make minor adjustments with the top slide. It's there to prevent swarf getting between the stop body and the carriage, causing inaccuracies.

stop.jpg

stopgap.jpg

Phil H102/04/2020 18:53:44
255 forum posts
25 photos

img_5631 - copy.jpgFinally got my rear tool post in use. It is just a block of steel milled square with a slot and central bolt.

I tried it on some bronze bar this afternoon and it works quite well.

img_5630 - copy.jpg

Nigel Graham 202/04/2020 23:03:21
585 forum posts

Good pieces of work, Anthony & Phil.

I like the idea of the bolt on the saddle-stop, for swarf clearance.

@@@

Me? Today?

Tired to place an order with ARC Euro only they have closed for the duration. Let's hope they - and so many other businesses including my local bakery - weather this storm.

After a late start resumed making my wagon boiler's lifting-cradle. It's a plywood fabrication that locates inside the firebox, with steel side angles drilled for Maillon Rapides (or equivalent small shackles) on four rope slings. A cord tied round the slings just below the top of the firebox keeps the boiler steady, and to my delight and surprise the load was in balance when suspended on the block-and-tackle.

The cradle also holds the boiler sufficiently stable to stand it on one of those "skateboards" on 4 castors - Aldis or Lidls, and I bought two, joking with the cashier about panic-buying trolleys.

The slings are lengths of ordinary 8mm dia. 3-strand hawser-paid polypropylene rope. (Polyprop is one of the stronger rope plastics, but has the lowest melting-point and has low UV resistance.)

I tried to splice the eye in the lower end as a splice is far more compact, better-looking and stronger than a knot, and better for the rope. Eventually I gave up in frustration, made a brew, and tied bowlines instead. The top end is clove-hitched (easily-adjustable) to a triangle folded and welded from 12mm stainless-steel rod. I had picked that up somewhere as something useful somehow.

(I learnt those two knots while in the Scouts - bowlines were also once a near-universal knot used in caving - and they are among the barely dozen knots I have ever had to use for all manner of things.)

Splicing is of the hermetic arts. The basic eye-splice in 3-strand rope starts with a move that very easily makes the rest all wrong. Intuitively, it weaves three strands through two gaps with no two ever sharing one gap or leaping over two adjoining strands. No wonder Escher stuck to drawing staircases and mill-streams.

Ironically my stock length of rope came with a professionally made, thimbled and seized, eye-splice at one end.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest