Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What Did You Do Today 2020

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mick B102/10/2020 19:24:57
1774 forum posts
91 photos
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 02/10/2020 18:17:52:

Lovely job Mick, the kids will love it - but is the coal in the tender potted into one piece with acrylic resin or something, so they won't eat it or throw it on Mom's white carpet? (I learned some hard lessons about toys when my son and various nieces and nephews were little) Again, you made a beautiful toy, I like it!

Yes, more or less. A thick layer of epoxy adhesive in a milled cutout in the tender top, then tip in half a teaspoon of artificial model coal, allow to set, repeat and then lacquer over all.

I'm more worried about the bigger twin throwing the engine than the coal - it'd be a substantial projectile! surpriselaugh

Thanks for your comments.

Nigel Graham 202/10/2020 21:55:10
802 forum posts
16 photos

Had finished re-laying a paved area outside the workshop, including filling in the trenched path leading to it, so it's all level with the workshop floor - there is a small gap for drainage in front of the door. That will greatly ease handling the steam-wagon.

Now constructing a small bench, using a lot of salvaged pallet wood (free!), sized to span the wagon when that's in the shed but whose specific purpose is holding a vice (luxury!) and when required, a small fly-press or the Drummond manual shaper. The latter is presently screwed to another bench, and might stay there.

I have also to consider it being able to hold the WNS-supplied sheet-metal jenny, but I might have to do some further considering there. It is made for clamping to a bench or to a piece of timber held in a vice.

The bench surface is a 10mm steel plate nearly two feet square, with appropriate tapped and clearance holes for the tooling holding-down screws, plus a 2-inch hole to go below that in the press, and a smaller one for the shaper's knee-screw. The first operation on the plate was making 4 M10 tapped holes for lifting-eyes, for handling it.

The aim is that with the workshop becoming pretty well full up I need to be able to shuffle things around from storage to bench and back, especially things I don't use very often. Building a travelling-hoist was part of this programme, as well having other uses such as supporting big items overhanging the bench-drill tables, and assembling the steam-lorry.

###

Just remembered: the plate needs 4 more tapped holes, for the rotary shear!

Jeff Dayman03/10/2020 14:05:21
1915 forum posts
45 photos

yes

Neil A03/10/2020 22:11:19
72 forum posts

Spent the morning cleaning up the aluminium swarf that had accumulated in and around the milling machine. It had got deep enough to make positioning parts in the vice difficult. I don't mind machining aluminium, but it seems to go everywhere and stick to everything.

I'm now ready to start making another heap of swarf, perhaps not quite so big this time.

Neil

NUFCBernie03/10/2020 22:37:40
46 forum posts
7 photos

Started in earnest to use the valuable resource called model engineer .co.uk yes

gary06/10/2020 13:55:40
105 forum posts
31 photos

finished a copy of a steam engine built by david king steam enthusiast and inventor. the original was built from castings. my one was built from stock i already had, will add pipework to the feed pumps once i decide on a tank.20201006_125243.jpg

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 06/10/2020 14:34:33

gary06/10/2020 13:57:00
105 forum posts
31 photos

20201006_124822.jpg

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 06/10/2020 14:34:57

Rik Shaw07/10/2020 18:07:44
1370 forum posts
373 photos

Ever since I bought my second hand WARCO BH600G I have cringed every time I look at the busted monkey metal catches on the sheet metal stand cupboards. So this afternoon I removed them............

catch001.jpg

............and replaced them with something a bit more pleasing to the eye.

catch002.jpg

catch003.jpg

Just bling I know but two heavy chrome plated knobs and a couple of bits of sheet ally have tarted up the doors so that I no longer have to wince when I look at them. For me a job well worth doing.

Rik

Roderick Jenkins07/10/2020 18:28:12
1971 forum posts
510 photos

But will you wince when your knee bumps into them smiley

MichaelR07/10/2020 18:55:50
385 forum posts
73 photos
Posted by Roderick Jenkins on 07/10/2020 18:28:12:

Exactly that's what I was thinking

Steviegtr07/10/2020 21:25:07
1640 forum posts
197 photos
Posted by MichaelR on 07/10/2020 18:55:50:
Posted by Roderick Jenkins on 07/10/2020 18:28:12:

Exactly that's what I was thinking

+3 Ha ha

Steve.

Nicholas Wheeler 107/10/2020 21:47:29
411 forum posts
22 photos

Looks more like a temporary repair to me. Painting the plates would make a big difference.

Although I agree with the other replies, you'll be replacing them with flush ones pretty soon

John Hinkley13/10/2020 11:24:22
971 forum posts
331 photos

As documented elsewhere on the forum, I've recently re-motored my lathe and shaper with 3-phase motors and VFDs. At a bit of a loose end yesterday, I thought I'd try out the shaper on some aluminium I had lying around, using two different speeds. I took a video of the results and published them here.

The finish was as good as I had hoped for and better than it looks on the video!

John

Dullnote15/10/2020 20:52:46
73 forum posts
19 photos

just got fed up change blades in holders, so made up some new ones out of alum bar

Dullnote15/10/2020 20:53:42
73 forum posts
19 photos

4d9a9779-7174-40a2-bb50-6e2daac1d115.jpeg

Nigel Graham 216/10/2020 19:59:29
802 forum posts
16 photos

Good idea, Dullnote!

===

Today - well as most of the week really.

Continued building a special bench to hold my small flypress, a bench vice and other sundries. These include the option to mount the Drummond manual shaper on it; all held by screws tapped into the two-foot square of 10mm stell plate forming its upper surface so they can be readily changed around to suit. This does mean the bench has to be robust and secured to the floor and walls, which are concrete, as using the press and even more the shaper, would put a heavy lateral stresses on it additionally to the machines' dead-weights.

I had set off with the best of intentions using wood salvaged from old pallets - free, broken ones put out for collection as firewood by a pallet-supplier whose yard I pass fairly regularly.

All good intentions but eventually I realised that the amount of cutting, altering, fettling and faffing, and the vast numbers of screws it was using, made this a remarkably time-wasting approach compared to using spare, new or second-hand but good-quality timber I already had in stock but saving for best!

Such wood-work would work with wood-work equipment such as a planer/thicknesser to trim the disparate laths to consistent thickness and widths. It's a lot harder with only hand saws and planes.

Broke one of my planes, too. A proper Stanley one with a rather thin cast-iron body, it snapped in two while I was re-setting the blade. Inspection showed signs of an old, fine crack. I suppose we've had our money's worth out of it as I think it had been my Dad's, possibly even Grandad's,. Anyway, I expect it's out of guarantee.

So I have started again...

+++

Alibre don't give up, do they?

It must be a year since I abandoned the MEW offer and stuck with the TurboCAD I already owned, fully paid for and a lot cheaper; and closed my Alibre "account" before they could start charging me for it. Yet I have just received out of the blue, and deleted, a fancy e-mail from Alibre waffling about the latest things they've added or corrected in their software.

Surely if they had not heard from me all that time, and no longer had an Alibre "account", you'd think they'd realise that's because I had stopped using their CAD software. Oh well, that's the software trade for you, I suppose.

John Hinkley21/10/2020 10:56:13
971 forum posts
331 photos

Been at a bit of a loose end these last few days so I spent some time at the computer thinking up another piece of workshop tooling. This is a low-profile rotary table with a one degree rotational restraint system based on the simple indexer tool described in my album and in MEW 297/298. Here's a screengrab of the work so far. For scale, the height from bottom of the base to top of the table is 26mm, the table itself is 100mm diameter and the base is 130mm square, tee slots are just 6mm wide, so it's aimed at mini-mill users. There are a couple of refinements to add - like a table locking device and adding fasteners etc. I originally intended to add a simple form of adjustable jaws to fit in the tee slots but decided that, at least for the time being, I'd stick with clamps. It is only designed for use with very small components after all. You never know, I may even get around to making one now that we are going into COVID tier 3 on Saturday.

Vernier table

John

P.S. All the best to Muzzer in Oz from me, too.

Edited By John Hinkley on 21/10/2020 11:04:42

John Hinkley22/10/2020 14:58:22
971 forum posts
331 photos

Loose ends tied up, so finished the rotab design:

Completed design

The base ended up 130mm square to accommodate the locking clamps , otherwise it's substantially as it looked in my head. All designed 'on the fly' in Alibre Atom3D. Time to break out the metal catalogue!

John

Steviegtr22/10/2020 15:02:26
1640 forum posts
197 photos
Posted by John Hinkley on 22/10/2020 14:58:22:

Loose ends tied up, so finished the rotab design:

Completed design

The base ended up 130mm square to accommodate the locking clamps , otherwise it's substantially as it looked in my head. All designed 'on the fly' in Alibre Atom3D. Time to break out the metal catalogue!

John

It would be good to see that when finished. yes

Steve.

John Haine22/10/2020 15:30:24
3425 forum posts
184 photos
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 16/10/2020 19:59:29:

Surely if they had not heard from me all that time, and no longer had an Alibre "account", you'd think they'd realise that's because I had stopped using their CAD software. Oh well, that's the software trade for you, I suppose.

Doesn't cost them a penny to email you and you might have changed your mind!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
cowells
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest