Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What Did You Do Today 2020

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Iain Downs11/09/2020 11:43:58
688 forum posts
622 photos

I've been fed up with the lighting in my shed even after I swapped out the florescent tubes for LED tubes. The shed is a fairly standard 8x16 garage with one window along the left wall (as you walk in). At the top of that wall are 2 90cm tubes and in the centre of the peak is another one.

The mill is at the bottom on the left and the lathe on the right. Neither get natural light.

Dull!

After looking at various options, I found some LED strips on ebay. I believe I'm no longer allowed to put links in, but the ones I found (16ft 2835 SMD strips) were from USA and cost around a tenner with 3 or 4 quid postage. I ended up buying two (well, who wouldn't?) for around 25 quid.

I cut down one strip as follows. in the centre at the end, I put up two strips (150 cm each) - they come with sticky backs which have stuck to the rafters really well. At the front, I put up one strip and drove all three from one of the many power supplies that decades of buying computers and other electronics has left lying around (there, SWMBO, I said they'd come in useful sometime!).

Wired up to the main light switch and the difference is truly remarkable.. It's close to being daylight bright. Brighter for most days in blighty, I would say!

workshop lights 2.jpg

The one in the middle is the LED tube one, nearest are the two strips at the far end is the single strip.. You can see the power supply (black, of course) on top of the rafter at the far end.

In case you're wondering, My workshop is not on a ship, in high seas. I'm just a rubbish photographer.!

I also have half a meter of the stuff left, which is being re-purposed into a mill light to be mounted under the head.

Strongly recommended - the whole let is cheaper than one new tube at a fraction of the brightness.

Iain

Mick B111/09/2020 20:53:01
1734 forum posts
91 photos

More-or-less finished a little BRIO-gauge loco for the grandkids. The big depth of flange is to help it cope with the curve radius on the Lidl set they have. It still needs a tender. The coupling rods work well - the pins are 2,5 mm dia. under the heads with an 8BA thread. I had to pivot each wheel independently on the end of each axle - I couln't think of a way of quartering accurately bilaterally - so each side-set of 3 wheels rotates together, but independently of t'other side.

SmallTrain1.jpg

Oh, the angle at the bottom of the buffer-beam is to stop it grounding on the next flat rail at the bottom of the slope from the bridge... laugh

Edited By Mick B1 on 11/09/2020 20:55:40

Colin Heseltine12/09/2020 18:56:02
462 forum posts
130 photos

Took load of bits from loft to local car boot.

Cam away with these.

carbootbits120920.jpg

Knocked the cabinets down from £10 each to £15 for the pair.

Knocked machinists jacks and collets from £12 t £5

Cabinets are immaculate. Not sure where they are going as already have a few in workshop but will squeeze them in somewhere.

Colin

Oldiron12/09/2020 19:45:09
532 forum posts
22 photos
Posted by Colin Heseltine on 12/09/2020 18:56:02:

Took load of bits from loft to local car boot.

Cam away with these.

carbootbits120920.jpg

Knocked the cabinets down from £10 each to £15 for the pair.

Knocked machinists jacks and collets from £12 t £5

Cabinets are immaculate. Not sure where they are going as already have a few in workshop but will squeeze them in somewhere.

Colin

Those are the cheapest cabinets ever Colin. Great buy. I bought a couple of the tall ones last year and they cost me £50 each. Always room somewhere for another cabinet. The only problem is as soon as you put it in place it is full up. regards

Colin Heseltine12/09/2020 22:15:23
462 forum posts
130 photos

They Obviously did not know the value of them. I’m glad to say

colin

Edited By Colin Heseltine on 12/09/2020 22:16:07

Samsaranda18/09/2020 11:11:49
968 forum posts
5 photos

Not what did I do today but yesterday, not engineering related, I was carrying out repairs and modifications to the outside of the workshop, this necessitated climbing over the waterfall to my Koi Pond and squeezing behind some Rhododendron bushes to get access to the workshop wall. The work on the wall went well and then came the time to extricate myself, climbed up onto the waterfall then fate took a hand and I missed my footing, plunged one foot into the waterfall and by then my balance was seriously lost and I propelled myself out of the waterfall, which is about three feet high, and down onto the broken slate surface surrounding the pond, unfortunately my forehead was the first to contact the ground and I ended up streaming blood everywhere. I picked myself up very gingerly and decided that I was going to need the wife’s help to stop the bleeding, I grabbed some tissue and went in search of her, she was indoors drying her hair having washed it. She panicked, as I knew she would, but tended my wounds and managed to stem the blood flow. She was understandably worried about how much damage I had sustained so without my knowledge phoned our daughter who lives in the same village as us, she came round and unbeknown to me had called an ambulance. The first I knew of this was two paramedics in green uniforms came through the garden gate, one of the paramedics is a family friend so there was a lot of mickey taking, they were brilliant and when cleaning my wounds found that there small sharp pieces of slate embedded which they removed and cleaned it up. All this was taking place in the garden because it was a glorious day and was safer from indoors because of Covid. It was deemed not necessary to go to hospital but I was given strict instructions about possible effects from head injury and what I must do if I felt unwell. Today the wounds have scabbed over but I am feeling very stiff and bruised, only to be expected I suppose, my wife has yet again banned me from working at heights saying that I am dangerous enough at ground level, and to think 40 years ago I regularly worked at heights up to 100 feet off the ground, albeit with the appropriate personal safety equipment, any work above ground level means that I must now enlist the help of my son in law who is a lead worker and works at heights all the time, I find it frustrating to be constrained like that but I suppose it’s for the best, I had yet another lucky escape.

Nicholas Farr18/09/2020 11:25:54
2442 forum posts
1193 photos

Hi Samsaranda, hope you didn't damage the waterfall! smile o Seriously though, glad you haven't seriously hurt yourself, get better soon.

Regards Nick.

Samsaranda18/09/2020 13:50:54
968 forum posts
5 photos

Hi Nick

Waterfall is intact, just feeling very sore today, my pride was damaged as well but thankfully nobody saw me make a fool of myself. Wife is watching me like a hawk today when I venture into the garden, I'm definitely confined to ground level for the foreseeable future!

Dave W

Jim Nic18/09/2020 14:51:20
271 forum posts
163 photos

Hi Dave

Glad to hear that only your pride is seriously damaged. All's well that ends well and by the sounds of it at least you've given your Koi something to talk about.

Which of us has not got up to such activities in our later years, I certainly have fortunately without serious injury.

Jim

Speedy Builder518/09/2020 15:55:56
2112 forum posts
146 photos

Lucky the fish were Koi and not Piranha !!

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 18/09/2020 15:56:33

martin perman18/09/2020 16:16:33
1877 forum posts
78 photos

Dave,

Gald to hear that only your pride has been hurt, the only problem with being banned to ground level is it costs to get somebody in to do what you used to do, I've had Neuropathy in both my feet for the last seven years and its been getting progressively worse and I've found I can no longer use ladders as I cant feel the rungs and its affecting my balance, so hedge cutting, wall paper hanging etc has to be paid for.

Martin P

Nick Clarke 318/09/2020 17:22:04
889 forum posts
30 photos
Posted by martin perman on 18/09/2020 16:16:33:

Dave,

Gald to hear that only your pride has been hurt, the only problem with being banned to ground level is it costs to get somebody in to do what you used to do, I've had Neuropathy in both my feet for the last seven years and its been getting progressively worse and I've found I can no longer use ladders as I cant feel the rungs and its affecting my balance, so hedge cutting, wall paper hanging etc has to be paid for.

Martin P

OK it costs, but do you now mean you have a medical note excusing you from gardening and decorating?

Can't help seeing that as a result! smiley

Take care,

Nick

martin perman18/09/2020 17:39:04
1877 forum posts
78 photos
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 18/09/2020 17:22:04:
Posted by martin perman on 18/09/2020 16:16:33:

OK it costs, but do you now mean you have a medical note excusing you from gardening and decorating?

Can't help seeing that as a result! smiley

Take care,

Nick

Nick,

Its the understanding that you have to watch somebody do something that you were capable of and as we all know, nobody does it better than you.

Martin P

Nigel Graham 218/09/2020 20:55:45
748 forum posts
16 photos

Hmmm.

Makes those of without an In-house Domestic Consultant as safety-cover and potential rescuer, think of the things we have, use or do alone.

Heavy, bulky objects. Powerful machine- and portable- tools. Ladders. Sharp knives, wood-chisels, milling-cutters. Chemicals you would not want on your cornflakes....

Samsaranda19/09/2020 10:15:22
968 forum posts
5 photos

Thanks to you all for your comments, Martin I also suffer from Neuropathy which is gradually affecting my right side and I have noticed of late I am aware of balance issues so perhaps I should regard this latest occurrence as a wake up call, we all think we can do things that we did in our youth but it ain’t so.
Dave W

John Hinkley21/09/2020 17:31:58
953 forum posts
325 photos

To quote (and paraphrase) "The Fast Show" -- "Today, I have been mostly fitting a new motor to my lathe"

As part of a program of improvements to the workshop, I#'ve been working my way round it, gradually replacing all the machine single-phase motors with 3-phase ones, each one fed from a separate VFD. First to receive the treatment was the mill, then a couple of weeks ago, the shaper. Yesterday the new motor for the lathe arrived and I've now mounted it on the lathe. The new motor is slightly uprated from the original, from 0.75HP to one HP, so consequently has correspondingly greater dimensions. Luckily I was able to use the majority of the original mountings with just a little bit of jiggery-pokery and re-drilling of a few holes. Annoyingly, I ordered the wrong size taper lock fitting for the gearbox input spindle, so I'll have to wait a little longer to get it running. But, no matter, the VFD doesn't arrive until tomorrow and anyway, I have the plumber in to replace a leak damaged set of units as well, so no workshop time for me tomorrow.

No pictures - to be honest, I'm a bit ashamed of the bodge nature of the mounting. Ideally, I'd have welded up a new one, but as I don't possess a welding kit, that will have to wait. Fortunately, my back burner is looking pretty bare at the moment. One for another day.

John

John Hinkley02/10/2020 14:14:41
953 forum posts
325 photos

Quick follow-up to the above post. Now that the VFD wiring has been sorted, I've finished the re-motoring of the workshop so that the mill, shaper and lathe are all now powered by 3-phase motors and VFDs. I have to say, I'm very pleased with the results on all the machines. A worthwhile modification and one I would wholeheartedly recommend. Short album with description here, if anyone's interested.

John

Mick B102/10/2020 16:13:05
1734 forum posts
91 photos

Added the tender to the little brass Brio train in time for the twin grandkids' 2nd birthday later this month:-

SmallTrain3.jpg

Jeff Dayman02/10/2020 18:17:52
1896 forum posts
45 photos

Lovely job Mick, the kids will love it - but is the coal in the tender potted into one piece with acrylic resin or something, so they won't eat it or throw it on Mom's white carpet? (I learned some hard lessons about toys when my son and various nieces and nephews were little) Again, you made a beautiful toy, I like it!

HOWARDT02/10/2020 19:16:21
595 forum posts
15 photos

Replaced my second NVR in a month. First the switch on the bench drill just suddenly stopped latching, then this week the one on the mill started playing up. I think the drill was probably about thirty years old and the mill three.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest