What Did You Do Today 2020

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dick H11/08/2020 17:22:12
90 forum posts
1 photos

See this one on fleabay.de

"Sehr schöne dekorative antike Uhrmacher Drehbank Messing auf einem Holzsockel"

it could be its twin but with the rest,.

Martin King 211/08/2020 19:00:50
712 forum posts
277 photos

Thanks for the links guys, will knock up a tool rest tomorrow!

Cheers, Martin

Mick B111/08/2020 19:06:00
1656 forum posts
88 photos

Diving kingfisher, titanium and alli, copied from an internet photo:-

kingfisher2.jpg

Also starting a smaller brass copy of the wooden train I made for the youngest grandkids, to fit on their Brio track. Hopefully I'll finish it while they're still small enough not to turn their noses up at it...

laugh

Martin King 213/08/2020 15:12:37
712 forum posts
277 photos

Hi All,

Managed to knock this up out of the scrap box and copying the picture from the previous link.

wmfaceplate 12.jpg

wmfaceplate 11.jpg

Doesn't look too bad in situ, just waiting for some drive belt to arrive from EBay

wmfaceplate 13.jpg

Cheers, martin

Mark Gould 113/08/2020 21:05:01
218 forum posts
130 photos

I almost melted today, we have now had 8 consecutive days with temperatures above 30 C here in the Netherlands. This has never happened before. The previous record was 6 consecutive days above 30 and that dated from 1975.

Nigel Graham 213/08/2020 22:34:28
720 forum posts
16 photos

Back at the club track!

Still very limited of course but things have eased to the point of allowing us to form small work-parties to keep the garden tidy, resume track maintenance and the like.

No access to the club-room itself, so no tea-making (take a flask), but we can open the separate converted concrete garage that is a very basic workshop and also houses the toilet.

We'd just finished for the day when the downpour hit, after a practice spotting with rain to establish range and bearing.

+++

This evening, resumed converting the Myford mill to 3-phase. Delighted to find the motor feet pattern matches the mounting-plate, but I've to make a washer to lift the motor pulley 5mm into line. There is no vertical adjustment on the motor-mounting.

While I was it I removed the fat wobble-worm from the intermediate-pulley swinging-arm. It had only made threaded parts work loose, luckily.

Whether I can sort out that problem with the over-stiff quill, is another matter. I've a sinking feeling that, no, I will have to live with it.

+++

Yesterday.... had a haircut! Almost had to think what's it called when I rang to book it.

Bazyle13/08/2020 23:24:19
5391 forum posts
206 photos

Glad to hear you are back on site
EDMES had a work day too today with a massive crowd of 6 spread out all over the grounds as pairs and a whole load of restrictions on behaviour to maintain safety. Yet some local decided to complain that they couldn't make a phone call becaue of the noise and suggested social distanceing was not being observed. Must take their cue from the idiots who get on TV moaning about every govenment initiative.

SADMES have had several days of activity over a week or so as it was found that the tunne was BER and needs removal. However a it is needed for passenger truck storage another one is planned on the other side of the station. Some work has been done on this with concrete posts installed. Each day set for tunnel digging keeps getting stopped by bad weather forecast yet on the day turns out to be baking hot.

John Haine18/08/2020 21:07:01
3269 forum posts
175 photos

After many days thinking about the next clock I made a start on the first wheel for the new dial. This is a 60 tooth count wheel to drive the minute arbor, stepped by a pawl operated by the motor that will drive the second hand. I found this hiding inside a piece of 1.5mm brass plate after an hour or so of milling on the CNC. Profile formed with a 1mm cutter, G-code produced by spreadsheet.

img_20200818_205543044_hdr.jpg

Now to generate the code for the hour wheel, similar but with 48 teeth.

John Haine19/08/2020 13:12:02
3269 forum posts
175 photos

Now made the other one.

img_20200819_130431263_hdr.jpg

I used a slightly modified way to mount the plate for milling this time. Made a backing plate of Valchromat (posh MDF), stuck blue masking tape down to its surface, spread B&Q's finest superglue on it, laid brass down on the superglue. After cutting, removed the brass bits by carefully sliding a sharp blade underneath. They come away with the tape attached, so boil for a couple of minutes after which the tape just slides off leaving a clean brass surface.

John Hinkley24/08/2020 15:10:04
921 forum posts
313 photos

Not just today, but spread over a couple of days - as the parts arrived.

I have long considered that the ram speed on my Perfecto shaper was too fast, despite using the lowest ratio combination of pulleys available. A recent small windfall has enabled me to purchase a 0.3HP 3-phase motor at a considerable discount along with a VFD at a similar knock-down price. Add a length of 4-core cable and a few hours work and, hey presto! - a completely controllable shaper. Unfortunately, the original belt used was, I found, the wrong section for the pulleys, so a new one is on order. That should be here in a couple of days. In the meantime, the temporary set-up is working and the VFD has been programmed with the appropriate settings.

Shaper re-motored

John

Andrew Johnston25/08/2020 22:28:01
5635 forum posts
652 photos

Spent part of the day roughing out the LP cylinder liners. The extruded cast iron was turned 0.1" over on OD and 0.1" over on length. It seemed a shame to machine away the central slug so I chain drilled from both sides to remove it. A simple spreadsheet allowed me to select a drill size that would give about a 2 thou or so overlap between holes. The drilling in progress:

drilling liner me.jpg

After drilling from both sides a couple of sharp taps with a hammer and the core broke away. The two LP liners roughed out, OD is just over 4":

lp_liners_me.jpg

In total 104 8.4mm holes and 3" deep. Thank gawd for the bolt hole function on the DRO and power down feed on the quill. I chose a conservative 3 thou per rev at 800rpm. Each hole took just over a minute. I did try the 6 thou per rev feed but it seemed a bit much driving an ~8mm drill with no pilot hole. In addition, by repute, the quill power feed on the Bridgeport is a weak area, so no point in pushing it. Next job, tomorrow, is 60 holes for the HP liners.

I also coughed up the money for having rubber tyres vulcanised on one set of wheels for my traction engine. I hope to collect them in the next couple of weeks.

Andrew

Steviegtr25/08/2020 22:45:26
1363 forum posts
143 photos

While wondering what to do with an old suspension part from my Son's golf, i remembered i needed a better cutting oil pot. The one i have keeps falling over, so started to make a better one with a tube down the centre to stop spills if it gets knocked over. Also to get my hand in attempting to alloy weld. I did use too much filler rod,

Steve.

bit of golf mill.jpg

bit of golf3.jpg

cutting oil pot 2.jpg

cutting oil pot.jpg

Andrew Johnston26/08/2020 17:13:39
5635 forum posts
652 photos

Job done:

roughed liners me.jpg

Followed by a clear up of the lathe, mill and floor. It's amazing how much swarf was created. sad

Andrew

Peter Spink26/08/2020 17:24:28
96 forum posts
37 photos

Wow, extreme chain drilling! yes

JasonB26/08/2020 17:32:13
18628 forum posts
2048 photos
1 articles

Andrew, any reason you chose the BP over the Tormach which could have been left to it rather than having to move to each co-ordinate with the DRO or was there not enough head room? It's a shame you could not have got the HP from the waste slug out of the LP

Steviegtr26/08/2020 19:59:21
1363 forum posts
143 photos

Finished the cutting oil pot. Cost, £1.50 for the piece of Delrin.

Steve.

cutting oil pot 3.jpg

Nicholas Farr26/08/2020 21:25:03
2405 forum posts
1188 photos

Hi, today I finished and fitted a protection cover for the X axis encoder scale on my Warco Major milling machine. After folding a piece of used aluminium with my recently made sheet metal V block and T blade Sheet Metal Bending V block and blade

cover 02.jpg

Two ends were made from 10mm ally plate and some low profile S/S screws from old computer hard drives were used to fix them in place.

cover 04.jpg

This morning, holes for fixing the cover were drilled and tapped 4mm for two S/S button head screws.

cover 05.jpg

Although it's not a showroom job, but then my machine isn't in a showroom, it will stop the encoder getting showered with swarf and cutting oil.

cover 06.jpg

Regards Nick.

Colin Heseltine26/08/2020 22:44:10
433 forum posts
127 photos

Fitted LED bulbs and transformer to a Isoma Centering Scope in bought on Ebay couple of days ago.

Works very well, just need to test on the mill now.

isomascopeledres.jpg

Colin

Emgee26/08/2020 23:49:59
1645 forum posts
224 photos
Posted by Colin Heseltine on 26/08/2020 22:44:10:

Fitted LED bulbs and transformer to a Isoma Centering Scope in bought on Ebay couple of days ago.

Works very well, just need to test on the mill now.

Colin

Is that the £20 buy ? if so that's a real bargain.

Emgee

Colin Heseltine27/08/2020 00:15:17
433 forum posts
127 photos

I played fair. He had offers accepted so I offered £50 he countered £60. So I snapped his arm off

colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest