Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

The Engineers Emporium - Red Wing hit and miss engine

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
TiddlerTad27/12/2019 19:56:53
54 forum posts
2 photos

Hi

I've been looking for a hit and miss kit for a while and see the Engineers Emporium sell a Red Wing 1/4 scale version. This seems to really fit the bill as I can just manage to machine the 8" flywheels on my Sieg SC4 lathe.

However I've seen little customer feedback regarding The Engineers Emporium (LA Services Ltd) and I just want to make sure that I'm dealing with a well respected company. The other concern I have is that their website has no secure method of providing credit card information.

If anyone has had recent experience of this company (or indeed the 1/4 scale Red Wing), I would really appreciate your feedback.

Many thanks

Andrew

JasonB27/12/2019 20:03:27
18318 forum posts
2024 photos
1 articles

I've had a few bits off them in the past and they have been fine to deal with.

Not quite sure if they will be able to dispatch straight away as I understand Adrian is in hospital but best to call or e-mail as they may have stock on the shelf ready to go.

Mike Poole27/12/2019 21:34:41
2620 forum posts
63 photos

They often attend the Midland Model Engineering show but they don’t seem to be listed for the Ally Pally show in January. I don’t have any personal experience of dealing with them but I am sure they would have featured on here if anyone had a negative experience, so that must be a big positive.

Mike

TiddlerTad27/12/2019 21:35:47
54 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Jason - many thanks for the feedback - it's very much appreciated.

Andrew

TiddlerTad27/12/2019 21:40:02
54 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks Mike. I had seen that they had attended previous shows but nothing recently - so that worried me a little.

Based on Jason's comment, I'll email them to see if they have one in stock, and take it from there.

All the best.

Andrew

Henry Brown27/12/2019 21:48:02
238 forum posts
74 photos

I'll be interested to see how you get on Andrew as I am planning to do that or one similar in the new year.

Regards, Henry.

Lathejack27/12/2019 22:15:54
278 forum posts
328 photos

Forest Classics also offer the Red Wing engine, so it might be worth comparing their engine kit with the one from The Engineers Emporium.

There is only a £10 difference in the listed price from both companies, Engineers Emporium list 9 Iron & 10 brass castings with the kit, but Forest Classics list 11 of both.

i bought the water cooled Red Wing kit from Engineers Emporium several years ago. Overall the kit was fine but at that time did not include the conrod or crankshaft casting. They did include them later but when I spoke to the chap at the Harrogate show and asked if I could buy the conrod and crank for the engine I had bought from them he replied with a rather blunt NO without explanation. But they were very helpful when I asked them if they would replace the two flywheel castings which were both badly misaligned each side of the casting joint line, and they replaced them at the Harrogate show 18 months after I originaly purchased the kit.

When the Forest Classics Red Wing Kit appeared it did did look to be a slightly neater kit with much better brass or bronze castings, and a few extra parts included, but the Engineers Emporium version might have improved since I bought mine from them.

That reminds me, I still haven't finished this engine, so I must root out all the parts and jolly well get on and finish it.

Edited By Lathejack on 27/12/2019 22:25:39

Lainchy27/12/2019 22:27:35
246 forum posts
95 photos

Do I feel a new build diary coming Andrew! I'll be watching another for sure, and strangely enough, I've been googling a nice hit and miss engine today, including the RedWing!

Jeff Chilver27/12/2019 23:58:20
25 forum posts
15 photos

Hi I bought the Red Wing castings from the Emporium a couple of years ago . I picked them up at Doncaster , Adran even carried them out to the car for me ! . On looking through the kit at home I found a couple of the small items to be missing . Rang the firm and the missing items were dispatched straight away . I have purchased other sets from them and had equally good service .

I finished the engine and it looks good and runs well so I'm delighted with it .Hope you are equally so in due course.

TiddlerTad28/12/2019 08:26:26
54 forum posts
2 photos

Many thanks for all the advice. Having just checked out Forest Classics I must say that their 1/4 scale W/C Red Wing is very tempting. In fact I would have gone ahead and ordered one, but they are currently out of stock. I'll contact them to see when they expect them back in.

And yes - hopefully a series of a Red Wing build will start to appear on my YT channel.

Thanks again!

Andrew

Dennis Rayner28/12/2019 08:47:46
115 forum posts
7 photos

I just wondered if you were aware of https://www.rcdon.com/html/red_wing_engine_project.html

TiddlerTad28/12/2019 09:43:22
54 forum posts
2 photos

Wow - thanks Dennis. That is extremely informative and it will be an excellent reference.

All the best.

Andrew

JasonB28/12/2019 10:21:20
18318 forum posts
2024 photos
1 articles

I am 99% sure that the ones Forrest sell come from the US and the ones EE do are cast here so some differences.

Lathejack28/12/2019 10:58:45
278 forum posts
328 photos

Yes Jason I'm sure that is correct, it's what I was told when I bought my engine.

Because the chap at Engineers Emporium wouldn't sell me the crank and conrod castings I ended up buying the two items from Forest Classics, who were happy to supply them even though I hadn't bought the engine from them.

Andrew Johnston28/12/2019 12:08:37
5556 forum posts
650 photos

PM sent to the OP.

Andrew

Philip Burley28/12/2019 14:06:14
185 forum posts
1 photos

I got mine from Forest Classics a few months ago , I have machined the base casting and the crankshaft , Working on the flywheels now

regards Phil

Malc28/12/2019 14:26:39
73 forum posts
5 photos

Hi Andrew,

When I was looking for my first lathe I rang Engineers Emporium several times, each time I was promised a call back but never received one. As the firm is local to me I decide to call in. On arriving I was asked whether I had made an appointment, when I said no I was asked to leave. Needless to say I took my business elsewhere. Wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole personally!

TiddlerTad28/12/2019 14:26:41
54 forum posts
2 photos

Many thanks for the latest posts. I've decided to go with Forest Classics. Their website looks very professional and they have received very good feedback. Shame that they are out of stock of the w/c Red Wing at the moment.

Cheers

Andrew

Henry Brown28/12/2019 14:59:16
238 forum posts
74 photos
Posted by Andrew Whale 1 on 28/12/2019 14:26:41:

Many thanks for the latest posts. I've decided to go with Forest Classics. Their website looks very professional and they have received very good feedback. Shame that they are out of stock of the w/c Red Wing at the moment.

Cheers

Andrew

I've just asked for an expected delivery date Andrew, no reply yet, did they suggest when they might be in stock?

Harry Wilkes28/12/2019 15:03:23
928 forum posts
61 photos
Posted by Dennis Rayner on 28/12/2019 08:47:46:

I just wondered if you were aware of https://www.rcdon.com/html/red_wing_engine_project.html

Good link thanks

H

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Allendale Electronics
cowells
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest