Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Rear tool post for Sieg SC4 lathe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Whale 124/12/2019 09:05:38
42 forum posts
2 photos

Hi

I'm contemplating fitting a rear tool post to my SC4 and wonder if anyone can give me some advice on their experience of fitting one to this particular model of lathe. The distance from the top of the cross slide to the centre of the headstock spindle is around 60.5mm (2.38in). The distance between the centre of the T-slots on the cross slide is 75mm.

I see that Hemingways sell two kit versions. One for the Myford 7 (and similar) and one suitable for lathes with up to 3 ½" between the cross slide and centre. I'm not sure if either are suitable for the SC4.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and a Merry Christmas to you all!

Andrew

not done it yet24/12/2019 09:27:00
4168 forum posts
15 photos

I see that Hemingways sell two kit versions. One for the Myford 7 (and similar) and one suitable for lathes with up to 3 ½" between the cross slide and centre. I'm not sure if either are suitable for the SC4.

I’ve got a different lathe. My only advice would be to sort out for metric, not imperial, parting cutters. I expect the Hemingway kits are easily adaptable for your machine.

Oh, the other advice is: Stop contemplating and get on with it! They are better than front parting.

Bazyle24/12/2019 11:12:12
5009 forum posts
198 photos

Have a look at this previous thread on the topic. Don't be put off that it isn't exactly the same lathe.

I don't think the Hemingway  one is very suitable as it is intended for cross slide slots going in the opposite direction, and I think the top pivot bolt is intended to align with another T-slot. You should be able to design one from to copy the above link for a single tool, then maybe later modify it to a multi-tool one.

Edited By Bazyle on 24/12/2019 11:36:06

JasonB24/12/2019 11:30:59
17315 forum posts
1865 photos
1 articles

Having seen how easily Neil parts off work on his SC4 I wonder why the need? Unless you just want to keep it mounted all the time to save changing tools.

jimmy b24/12/2019 13:27:33
599 forum posts
37 photos

Andrew, I have ran a rear toolpost on my SC4 for years. I'll sort a picture later.

I mainly used it for a production job, needing two tools.

Jim

jimmy b24/12/2019 14:14:14
599 forum posts
37 photos

20191224_140757.jpg20191224_140802.jpg

Edited By JasonB on 24/12/2019 15:00:52

Neil Wyatt24/12/2019 14:32:15
17385 forum posts
690 photos
77 articles

I've contemplated fitting one, but as Jason observes, it would be for convenience, not to improve performance - especially as a packet of 10 double ended ground parting inserts arrived a few days ago

Neil

Andrew Whale 124/12/2019 16:03:50
42 forum posts
2 photos

Many thanks to everyone for the advice. It's more for convenience but I also thought it might be a good little project for my YouTube channel, as others might be interested too. Also thanks to Jim for going to the trouble of taking some pics - very interesting.

I will continue to explore....

Cheers

Andrew

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest