Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Small tooling for a Super 7 QCTP

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike Donnerstag08/12/2019 18:28:43
109 forum posts
19 photos

I do a lot of work turning very small parts with very small tool bits. To facilitate this, I have an Eclipse 514SL tool holder that takes 3/16” square tool bits, holding them at a slight rake angle. This will easily be accommodated by the standard Myford tool clamp, however I'm trying to find a solution where I could leave the Myford quick change toolpost in place. At 3/4” in height, the Eclipse toolholder unfortunately doesn't fit in the Myford quick change tool post.

Can anyone recommend an alternative to this that I can fit in the standard quick change tool post, or should I machine the Eclipse tool holder down to 12mm to fit (I realise it’s very hard tool steel), or does anyone have a plan for a shop-made tool holder that would fulfil the purpose? Alternatively, is it possible to purchase a similar toolholder that does fit in the Myford QCTP?

70ed52be-c4e5-48ae-b17c-b01bf1862c08.jpeg7f626828-c22c-4e52-9f44-93496ce2530c.jpegd09321ed-8281-4cea-ace2-d512e62c1795.jpeg

eclipse toolholders.jpg

Edited By Mike Donnerstag on 08/12/2019 18:56:13

Bandersnatch08/12/2019 18:41:47
1342 forum posts
40 photos

Hard to see in the pic (edit: sorry .... you added pics as I was posting   ) but can you attach a block to the side of it with screws? Is it really that hard?

Edited By Bandersnatch on 08/12/2019 18:42:51

Mike Donnerstag08/12/2019 18:48:15
109 forum posts
19 photos

That would be a great solution but I'm expecting it to be far too hard to drill.

Clive Brown 108/12/2019 19:09:57
308 forum posts
7 photos

I've an Eclipse parting-tool holder from the same family. It's tough but drillable with ordinary drills. Lowish speed and lubricant works. I also did a bit of end milling on it, but it's hard on HSS cutters.

duncan webster08/12/2019 20:18:23
2293 forum posts
33 photos

Here's one I made earlier, it's for doing little brass bits, hence no rake, but on the bucket list is one incorporating back rake and side rake so you only need to grind one face of the tool. It's been on the list for a long time, so don't hold your breath. Obviously the square shank goes parallel to the axis. I could make a drawing if it is of interest.img_3701 (small).jpg

Mike Donnerstag01/01/2020 13:58:42
109 forum posts
19 photos

Many thanks to everyone who replied. I drilled the toolholder. Though it was hard, probably case-hardened, it drilled fairly well once centre-drilled. However, I centre-drilled the first hole too large, resulting in the edges of the twist drill breaking off. The second hole was centre-drilled not so deeply, and the drill cut through fine.

Once again, many thanks,

Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
mid gard rail Jan 2020
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest