Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Beginners models

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Wyatt10/12/2019 00:13:29
16959 forum posts
690 photos
76 articles

I started with a Stuart 10V , which used to be the traditional 'baptism of fire' model for decades, but doesn't seem to be so popular these days.

Neil

JasonB10/12/2019 07:10:28
16912 forum posts
1817 photos
1 articles

Well I suppose like the OP the cost puts people off, one of those two I linked do would cost 1/2 -1/3rd, I did work it out for the vertical that I made which is the same size as a No7 and that was 1/4 of the price as the solid flywheel meant it was all barstock.and you also don't have the possible problem of hard spots or undersize castings.

Plus will a lot more people having access to mills and many free barstock designs via the web it is a lot easier to start with a barstock engine.

As there is more machining involved in a barstock engine the beginner will also learn a lot more processes than they would with a casting based engine and as they take a bit longer to make you get more workshop time for the outlay.

Edited By JasonB on 10/12/2019 07:35:30

Phil H110/12/2019 09:48:08
202 forum posts
33 photos

I'd say that an engine from a set of castings is actually more difficult to build than a bar stock engine to the same design. The castings are often difficult to grip and set up for machining and you always need to think very carefully how much material needs to be removed from each surface. Plus the as cast unmachined surfaces are quite tricky to clean up to give a nice finish - even if you are going to paint it. Add to the above, the cost of the castings and I am not surprised that people build bar stock engines.

Phil H

BOB BLACKSHAW10/12/2019 09:56:32
251 forum posts
58 photos

I had a very basic training with lathes and milling many years ago then brought most tooling that's needed over four years. I'm still learning the hard way so bar stock is the way to go for me,l would find castings even after four years a hand trembling experience and mind concentration that I will muck it up, so not yet for me. I started with Elmer's engines which are free on the internet I learnt a lot doing them then done a couple of Potty mill engines. Just the cost of materials needed plus a few bolts and not the worry of mucking up an expensive casting till you feel confident that your ready for that.

Still learning the hard way. Bob.

Stuart Smith 510/12/2019 10:22:40
54 forum posts
10 photos

I have just started my first engine. I decided to build the Muncaster from Jason's recent series in ME magazine.

The only casting is the flywheel which I bought from Lee on eBay as per Jason's link.

I have only made a few parts so far, but I am learning a lot. Progress so dar:

img_1288.jpg

richard markham10/12/2019 11:38:14
27 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by Stuart Smith 5 on 10/12/2019 10:22:40:

I have just started my first engine. I decided to build the Muncaster from Jason's recent series in ME magazine.

The only casting is the flywheel which I bought from Lee on eBay as per Jason's link.

I have only made a few parts so far, but I am learning a lot. Progress so dar:

img_1288.jpg

Looking good Stuart, the Muncater is a fine looking engine.

I'm going to start with Gerry's Beam Engine. I have had a good look at the drawings and 3d cad model. Read a few constuction posts. Sadly the photobucket fiasco has ruined a lot of the photos... (I'd love to have been a fly on the wall at that business planning meeting)

JasonB10/12/2019 13:07:56
16912 forum posts
1817 photos
1 articles

You look to be off to a good start Stuart. yes

Stewart Hart11/12/2019 18:30:14
613 forum posts
314 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 08/12/2019 09:39:55:

I always recommend Stewart Hart's Potty Mill engine : no castings, simple, but challenging enough to make you think!

Stewart is active on the forum and his engine is discussed in a number of threads, for example this one.

Plans available without bother: I used this found on the web without finding any mistakes. As technical drawings go it's rather cramped, and I believe Stewart provides better laid out drawings?

Possible negative for some, it's a metric design.

As a training exercise, I built one in Fusion 360, this image being when I was struggling to learn moving joints!

assembly v27.jpg

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 08/12/2019 09:44:49

Thanks for your endorsement Dave. If anyone wants a set of drawings just send me a PM with your email address

Stew

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
mid gard rail Jan 2020
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest