By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

What's that thing called?

I need to order a part but I have failed to search for it.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
andrew lyner03/12/2019 15:15:28
138 forum posts
2 photos

I just made a nifty adjustable coolant dispenser with one of those cheapo plastic delivery tubes to drip coolant on the work piece. But it produces much more fluid than I ever manage to do with a manual 'dispenser'.

I want to collect the swarf and coolant with one of those pleated plastic concertina sheets that fit under the slide and follow it. I tried loads of searches but no results.

I've seen many images of peoples' setups with one of these things fitted and I'd love to know what to call it.

Failing that, I may have to do it another way. Big machine shops recycle their coolant so I would be in good company. But I need to do it for sixpence. Any suggestions. boffins?


My cutting is much better with the new gadget.

Brian Wood03/12/2019 15:30:55
2008 forum posts
37 photos


Concertina bellows. Arc sell several versions



pgk pgk03/12/2019 15:32:09
1486 forum posts
285 photos

It's going to depend on your lathe shape/model and how far you splatter the coolant. My own lathe sits on a swarf tray with a drain hole and grill so easy enough. A concertina is still going to allow stuff to spill off the sides.
I suppose the simplest would be a tray attached to the leading edge of the slide or on the slide but may limit how close you can get to the headstock.


Jeff Dayman03/12/2019 16:07:51
1656 forum posts
42 photos

You may have better luck with Google search using key words "bellows type way covers". Gortite is one brand.

andrew lyner03/12/2019 17:38:59
138 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks guys. That's just what I wanted to know.

My mini lathe has a swarf tray but, as with all the chinese lathes, it's very fiddly to get at all the stuff down there and the swarf from a small job would be easier to gather and the fluid could end up right in a container.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest