Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Colchester Student Mk1 Won't Start

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Donovan Kaardal16/07/2020 14:56:19
18 forum posts
34 photos

Thanks Phil and Richard - everything seems to be working, except of course for the interrupt switches I removed. Which I'll now be putting back.

Just for historical purposes, I'll post a pic of the red button that was depressed on the contactor. Poking at it made it pop out, and after that everything worked.

As for what I plan on making... just little things to start with. Mainly small tools or parts for larger tools. I used to have a forge back home, and I loved the flexibility of the 'need a tool, make a tool' mindset. Anything from carving gouges to finger planes, it's handy to be able to make your own tools. Also, knurled thumb screws are strangely expensive, so I think I'll start by learning to knurl properly and get to work making a bunch of those.

Of course after hanging out on THIS website I now also want to make a sterling engine!

:D

reset_sw.jpg

Phil Whitley16/07/2020 20:59:31
1222 forum posts
146 photos

No problem Donovan, that is what we are here for!

Phil

Richard Kirkman 117/07/2020 22:33:28
275 forum posts
659 photos

I've been thinking about a few tasks I'd like to do, a few involving lathe work. With only 7 weeks till I'm back at uni and with the lawnmower to finish too, there's no chance I'm going to get the whole lathe disassembled and painted and finished this summer. So my plan is to paint the few parts that I have off the lathe, then to get the lathe back up and running so I can actually use the lathe for the coming weeks. It'll also make more space to work on the mower.

So I've sanded down the first coat of primer and put a second on all the parts. I'll flatten this off again then hopefully get some grey on them, Not much progress, but its a step in the right direction.

img_20200717_164032.jpg

img_20200717_180422.jpg

img_20200717_192956.jpg

Herman van der Merwe18/07/2020 12:02:30
153 forum posts

Wise decision Richard. I am going on two months for cleaning and only now have almost all the parts coated in primer. Onto smoothing and filling and sanding and sanding and some more sanding ...

Emgee18/07/2020 12:18:19
1541 forum posts
219 photos
Posted by Donovan Kaardal on 16/07/2020 14:56:19:

Thanks Phil and Richard - everything seems to be working, except of course for the interrupt switches I removed. Which I'll now be putting back.

Just for historical purposes, I'll post a pic of the red button that was depressed on the contactor. Poking at it made it pop out, and after that everything worked.

Donovan

The red button is normally depressed by the Stop button fitted on the cover of the enclosure, it can be set to Man or Auto so make sure it is correctly positioned or it may stick again.

Emgee

Richard Kirkman 118/07/2020 19:42:13
275 forum posts
659 photos

Thanks Herman, there's always next summer for me. You're doing things properly, so well worth the time and effort!

I managed to get a coat of paint on the parts today

img_20200718_120304.jpg

Also, very big news.

Traci has finally been to her lockup and got me the parts that I asked for! 6 months and a hell of a lot of pestering and she's finally done it. This past week has been like Christmas twice over! First with Brian and Ted's tools, now with Traci. I'm finally going to have an original hand wheel for the apron!

These are a few of the parts she's sending me. Some aren't in the picture too. The splash guard wall thing has definitely been changed significantly to make it work with how they rigged their lathe. The lathe was pretty much cannibalised, so I'm going to have a big job getting that pannel back into original shape. Possibly including welding and bending some other steel back onto it. I'll probably need a bit of help with measurements from Herman and or Phil. Also, there is the main on/ off switch, so I will try to use the new one if it is in better condition than my current one. Maybe swap the ball ends too.

Unfortunately, she was unable to get me the motor cover for the back of the lathe since we had a miscommunication and she thought I didn't want it, so her husband cut it up and used it for something else.

The yellow bearing housing seal is broken on my version, so hopefully, it'll seal with the new one. I'll also have access to both the shafts that are for the oil seals that I've been replacing, so I'll be able to pick the best parts to use.

She had a spare 3 jaw chuck and traveling steady and all sorts, I don't need them, but I just hope they don't go to scrap. I've sent her a link to Colchester spares, hopefully they'll give her more than scrap value so someone else can make use of the parts. Then again, if anyone reads this in the next few days and needs something specific, message me and I can ask her or something. I don't like the idea of these parts being scrapped.

She's also sending me the entire cross slide, which has a dicksons t2(maybe?) quick change tool post on. This is interesting since it's not a t-slot cross slide, so this must have been modified. Hopefully, I'll be able to make use of it. Although I was planning on getting a model 222 from ARC, this could be nicer. But there aren't any holders, so I'll need to find some, and I don't believe they're cheap.

So more progress to follow. Looks like I'll have a multi-coloured lathe for a while

109924908_329925874694881_2761981679643914995_n.jpg

109573139_294365468581452_4829630361088336786_n.jpg

Phil Whitley18/07/2020 20:09:19
1222 forum posts
146 photos

Nice plunder Richard, the toolpost is interesting as it appears to be dual inch/mm dials, and I would love to see how they have modded it to fit the QCTP! The splashback looks fairly intact, and they save the inevitable spray of oil and coolant up the wall! Don't worry about the tool holders, when you get your milling machine you will ba able to make some!

Phil

Herman van der Merwe19/07/2020 18:40:51
153 forum posts

Wow nice find! Mighty jealous now!

The back splash plate looks 100% intact to me. Shout if you need dimensions. Mine is on its third coat of primer so it is easy to measure.

Wish you could send those spares you do not want this way ... dream on, dream on ...

Edited By Herman van der Merwe on 19/07/2020 18:41:01

Richard Kirkman 119/07/2020 22:41:56
275 forum posts
659 photos

Honestly, it's been a lot of effort to get the parts. It's from the woman I initially bought the 4 jaw chuck from. Dealing with her to get to her husband. I've had to pester her for 6 months to get this far.

The backsplash seems alright but the headstock end looks to me like its been messed about with. Looks like it's been modified when compared to yours Herman.

I'd love to have sent you some spares, but I'm not sure how feasible that is, especially with you in South Africa.

Anyway the courier is booked, so all the parts should be here on Thursday. I'm looking forward to it.

I will also be interested to see how they've mounted the toolpost, as it definitely will have been modified.

I don't see a milling machine happening any time soon. All the dials on the machine were dual mm/thousandths so very useful. I think I'll keep mine original rather than mix and match the parts. I'm not sure they'd fit anyway.

Richard Kirkman 120/07/2020 12:15:45
275 forum posts
659 photos

Does anyone know if the earlier students had the boxed or the flat louvered motor cover?

It doesn't show which in my models manual, but in the manual for the 1.5 it shows a boxed one.

And does anyone know where I can see some pictures of the student covers?

Herman van der Merwe20/07/2020 15:32:28
153 forum posts

You should ask on the Colchester group on https://colchesterlathe.groups.io/g/main

Richard Kirkman 120/07/2020 16:58:34
275 forum posts
659 photos

Good idea, I should have tried there first!

Tim Stevens20/07/2020 17:20:02
1195 forum posts

There is the makings of a book in here - is anyone going to have a go ... ?

Tim

Richard Kirkman 120/07/2020 19:26:51
275 forum posts
659 photos

I think we're more likely to get a Netflix deal, with lots of spin-off series such as The Coffee Filled Adventures of Herman and Sandkriek, and This Old Donovan...

Herman van der Merwe20/07/2020 20:41:27
153 forum posts
Posted by Richard Kirkman 1 on 20/07/2020 19:26:51:

I think we're more likely to get a Netflix deal, with lots of spin-off series such as The Coffee Filled Adventures of Herman and Sandkriek, and This Old Donovan...

I am in! I am busy compiling a video series on the lathe project named: "The tale of the ragged Student". And yes, there are lots of coffee involved

Phil Whitley20/07/2020 20:52:53
1222 forum posts
146 photos

Richard, re the motor cover, that one on mine is not original, it is actually the aluminium back of a very old freezer, complete with louvres, but it looks the part! The original sheet of ally was much bigger, but I cut it down to leave the right sizr with the louvres in it! some were boxed, and some were not, and the difference is the motor. It all depends which motor is fitted, yours is a LDC, mine is a Brook 2 speed, but on mine, the terminal box on the motor stuck out of the back of the lathe slightly, so mine would have originally had a boxed back cover, but I stripped the motor, and reassembled it with the stator reversed, so that the terminal box was on the inside of the lathe, and I was then able to fit the flat back cover.

Phil

Richard Kirkman 121/07/2020 10:53:19
275 forum posts
659 photos
Posted by Herman van der Merwe on 20/07/2020 20:41:27:

I am in! I am busy compiling a video series on the lathe project named: "The tale of the ragged Student". And yes, there are lots of coffee involved

I hope there will be some traumatic reenactments of the brutish butchers' affairs!

Phil, so the two-speed motors stuck out and needed boxed ones, but the LDC motors didn't so they put flat ones on?

Anyway, the Colchester spares person says that their replacement cover, which comes from a master(which will almost definitely be exactly the same) will cost £35 which I am very surprised about

Then the kick in the teeth is plus vat and postage, and postage is £20 so a total of £66 for a motor cover. Not as bad as I was expecting, but definitely not cheap.

Herman van der Merwe21/07/2020 19:25:00
153 forum posts
Posted by Richard Kirkman 1 on 21/07/2020 10:53:19:

Then the kick in the teeth is plus vat and postage, and postage is £20 so a total of £66 for a motor cover. Not as bad as I was expecting, but definitely not cheap.

Now is the time to pull out your student card and ask for student discount!

john fletcher 121/07/2020 19:50:54
601 forum posts

Hello Phil, Herman and Richard. Richard have you a pump on your lathe, as there is I think a very small 3ph motor at Brian's, he says about 100 mm in diameter. I'm going to see him in the morning and have a look, I'll report back later. Also a micro wave with the internals and door removed make a good shield with louvers and a fan as well. John

old mart21/07/2020 20:50:17
1825 forum posts
148 photos

£66 for a Colchester part, it must be the cheapest ever. laugh

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Allendale Electronics
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest