Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

View on this milling machine please

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
petro1head24/11/2019 17:52:33
704 forum posts
135 photos

A freind of mine, after using my milling milling machine, has decided he would like his own.

He has seen this for sale on Lathe.co.uk and asked my thoughts but I have never heard of the make so thought I would ask here.

Link to ad: http://www.lathes.co.uk/advertphoto/191030-Van-Norman/VanNorman.pdf

Asking price is £1750

He has a budget of £2-3K but that includes tooling etc

Michael Gilligan24/11/2019 18:03:50
14648 forum posts
634 photos

At that age : Everything will depend upon condition

Wikipedia has a brief entry about the company, from which I think it reasonable to assume that it was sturdy and well constructed. ... But how worn is it now ?

MichaelG.

Zan24/11/2019 18:06:34
157 forum posts
12 photos

Interesting machine with a huge quantity of tooling I’m interested! —- not really! Suggest if it’s purchased to get a three phase vdf to give a bigger range of speed flat belt drive ain’t good and speed range must be limited It may be time consuming to switch between vertical and horizontal mode

very solidly built, looks to have not much travel in y direction from photos, but very solid looking wide dovetails

John Reese24/11/2019 18:25:58
817 forum posts

They were sturdy and well constructed. If not badly abused it should be a good machine. I am not certain this has a quill. The absence of quill feed (either manual or mechanical) can make some operations difficult or impossible, like drilling a hole at an angle. The tooling offered with it is truly impressive. 40 taper tooling is relatively inexpensive and widely available.

Andrew Evans24/11/2019 19:08:20
280 forum posts
1 photos

I live in York and the machine is local to me I think. If your friend is serious I am happy to take a look at it for him.

Andrew Evans24/11/2019 19:09:04
280 forum posts
1 photos

I live in York and the machine is local to me I think. If your friend is serious I am happy to take a look at it for him.

Chris Evans 624/11/2019 19:32:36
1530 forum posts

With a budget of £2/3k he is in Bridgeport territory with good spares back up. If he has the space I know which I would prefer to use.

Dave Halford24/11/2019 19:40:16
527 forum posts
4 photos

I've always found adds placed on there are priced high.

If you bought the tooling on ebay it would cost you around £700. All the fasteners will be American thread. The size looks to be between that of a Centec 2A and 2B.

Not having a Quill is far from a deal breaker

A 3 " vice would give more daylight if required.

not done it yet24/11/2019 19:51:15
3813 forum posts
15 photos

It’s only £1700 on Gumtree and he is clearly open to offers as well (says so on the ad), so the ‘asking price’ is not certain to be the ‘selling price’. Not a proper ‘universal’, methinks. Or does the table really swivel?

Table might be conveniently covered by the vises and rotary table?

No chance of a good appraisal unless inspected by someone who knows the failings of that make/model.

Angle drilling only needs an adjustable angle plate, or similar, if head space is sufficient.

peak424/11/2019 20:20:31
963 forum posts
95 photos

Here's the middle one of a series of videos about one; looks like the table doesn't swivel, but is quite substantial.

Bill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest