Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

A unlucky accident

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
martin perman21/11/2019 13:25:39
1689 forum posts
70 photos

Gentlemen,

I received a phone call the other evening from a friends wife, my friend, late 60s/70s, had asked her to ask me to help sell his Stationary engines, I enquired why because during the year we rally together and no mention had been made. His wife told me he had been in the Lister Hospital for the last eleven weeks, they had visited their son and my friend went with their son into the garage where for reasons unknown he fainted, unfortunately he banged the back of his neck on the way down and is now paralised from the neck down and waiting to be transfered to Stoke Manderville Hospital, sadly it seems that he is to remain that way, Life can be a bugger sometimes.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 21/11/2019 13:26:47

Emgee21/11/2019 13:36:25
1272 forum posts
210 photos

Martin

That's a very unfortunate chain of events, my thoughts are primarily with your friend but also his family, we never know what life has in store for us.

Emgee

larry phelan 121/11/2019 14:16:25
527 forum posts
11 photos

At our age Martin, we need to be extra careful , even more so in our workshops.

Being on the wrong side of 80, it,s never too far from my mind

Mick B121/11/2019 14:18:58
1242 forum posts
70 photos

That's awful!! We can all be struck down by something out of the blue like that - I've known it happen even to younger people. Your friend, as well as his wife and family - whose lives will also be drastically affected - deserves all our thoughts. It's up to them, of course, but my own suggestion would be to keep the engines in the family as reminders of what he had been capable of.

ega21/11/2019 14:47:10
1339 forum posts
109 photos
Posted by larry phelan 1 on 21/11/2019 14:16:25:

And perhaps even to have some means of summoning assistance in case of emergency.

Best wishes to the unfortunate victim.

3404621/11/2019 15:24:00
796 forum posts
6 photos
Posted by ega on 21/11/2019 14:47:10:
Posted by larry phelan 1 on 21/11/2019 14:16:25:

And perhaps even to have some means of summoning assistance in case of emergency.

Best wishes to the unfortunate victim.

Sad news indeed -and ourbest wishes also.

On the assistance point, my wife and I keep front door bell pushes in our pockets which are set to a differnt ring tone than the front door. They have proved useful for both of us when we had falls in the garden.

Bill

mechman4821/11/2019 15:41:03
2522 forum posts
377 photos

Sad to hear. I'm into my seventies so I take extra precautions when I go into the garage. My best wishes to him & family.

George.

Howard Lewis21/11/2019 16:22:46
2452 forum posts
2 photos

Very sad news, one can only hope that he will improve, if only slightly.

Yes, it only takes one blow in the wrong [place and one's life can be changed for ever.

Make the most of what you have. I grateful to be pretty fit in my definitely old age.

Howard

JohnF21/11/2019 17:57:20
891 forum posts
114 photos

Martin P So sad to learn of your friends accident and the possible outcome but I would urge him and his family to seek a second opinion-- somewhat different but a good friend of mine recently had spinal surgery and it went wrong leaving him in the same position as your friend, however after discussion with the medics he underwent another operation to remove a blood clot and is now walking etc -- not perfect by any means but much better than the original prognosis -- hope they do try !

John

Windy21/11/2019 17:58:57
750 forum posts
221 photos

So sad when accidents happen and the after effects are so serious

I have had an accident when in my 70's had got unsteady for a while(after effects of medical treatment) was in the workshop at 10-30pm.

Fell and shoulder dislocated laid on the floor awkwardly what a job getting help.

Now have phones everywhere I was lucky just the shoulder injured and bruises

A and E came it was a wakeup call you think your ok at home.

Edited By Windy on 21/11/2019 18:05:46

DiogenesII21/11/2019 19:14:16
17 forum posts

Martin, I'm truly sorry to hear of your friend's accident and the consequences, both for him and his family.

I just really wanted to say that you and his family should perhaps discuss whether you really should act immediately on his currently stated wishes to dispose of his collection so soon after such a life-changing event - decisions taken shortly in the aftermath of such a trauma could perhaps not have been (dare I say it - I sincerely mean no offence) effectively reasoned or fully thought through - one never knows what the final outcome for your friend may yet be, and he would certainly not be the first person of my acquaintance to have acted hastily in a ift of depression after such bad news who had cause to regret it later...

Best wishes, and with some uncertainty whether to press the "Add Posting" button at all..

D

Neil Wyatt21/11/2019 20:18:07
16752 forum posts
689 photos
76 articles

That's an awful accident, I hope your friend has the best possible outcome under the circumstances.

Neil

OuBallie22/11/2019 18:47:11
1149 forum posts
661 photos

My best wishes to friend and family.

I carry my phone with me wherever I go now, after my Blues & Twos to hospital end July for an emergency heart  artery balloon insertion, hence my absence since. 

Geoff - Fully recovered from the VF arrest during, something I will NEVER forget!

Edited By OuBallie on 22/11/2019 18:51:17

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Allendale Electronics
cowells
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest