By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

Using the Maplin (Dremel clone) for cutting tool steel

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Greensands19/11/2019 21:07:41
10 forum posts

It has been suggested that this type of hobby saw can be used for cutting (or at least nicking) tool steel to length prior to breaking off using the hammer & vice technique but my experience has not been a happy one. This I think is because I am not using the right type or size of saw blade. Can anyone recommend a suitable choice of cutting off blade and from where they may be obtained. The Maplin hobby saw itself appears to meet the requirements although I feel it does requires a lot of patience and the use of very light loads to make any serious progress.

Greensands19/11/2019 21:42:26
10 forum posts

Forgot to add that the size of tool steel in question is 1/4" x 1/4"

mechman4819/11/2019 22:18:47
2518 forum posts
377 photos

This I think is because I am not using the right type or size of saw blade. Can anyone recommend a suitable choice of cutting off blade.

Are you talking saw blade with teeth or a cut off disc 'cos it's the disc you will need. You will need to cut through at least a 1/8 of the way through from each side then fix in vice, cover with old towel / tee shirt & give it a whack with a 2lb hammer, it should snap off easily. The discs that come with some of the kits are quite useable, iirc they are a dark brown / black in colour. I have used these discs without any probs, but you will need patience, if too much pressure is applied you run the risk of shattering the disc.

George.

Edited By mechman48 on 19/11/2019 22:19:51

pgk pgk19/11/2019 23:04:49
1486 forum posts
285 photos

Agreed discs not saw blades or diamonds. Discs come in two thicknesses as far as I'm aware and the thicker ones are more robust for this sort of duty. As stated the thin ones will shatter unless very very careful.

pgk

Paul Lousick20/11/2019 00:13:19
1212 forum posts
502 photos

If you are referring to a 1/4" lathe tool blank in a hardened state, it can be cut with an angle grinder (or Dremel) with a thin cut-off grinding disc. Tool steel is a general term for carbon steel that can be used for making tools, etc (eg. silver steel, + ) and is normally supplied in a soft, annealed state and can be easily machined prior to hardening.

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 20/11/2019 00:13:55

Mark Rand20/11/2019 00:28:34
798 forum posts

It's also necessary to run the cutting disks at the maximum speed the Dremmeloid is capable of. If it isn't throwing sparks, it's going too slow.

For a 35mm disk, 30,000 rpm is close to the right speed

Edited By Mark Rand on 20/11/2019 00:31:41

JasonB20/11/2019 07:04:25
16530 forum posts
1759 photos
1 articles

The on the left will do but are fragile, reinforced ones on the right are more forgiving. Or the quick change ones do the job but a bit more expensive if you don't need the quick change.

Angle grinder will do too.

Clive Foster20/11/2019 10:08:13
1886 forum posts
59 photos

+1 on the angle grinder with 1 mm disks rather than a Dremel or clone.

I find the extra weight of the angle grinder makes it far easier to do a smooth straight cut. Goes through quicker too which helps. Dremel style machines put the cutting disk rather far out front and its a one handed hold with the wrist in a rather weak plane. Dremel is great when holding an abrasive drum, disk or whatever against the job for fine shaping where you want light touch and sensitive control. Not so good at cutting straight.

As ever horses for courses.

Not greatly enamoured of cutting disks indie grinders either for much the same reason.

Clive

Colin Heseltine20/11/2019 10:15:16
345 forum posts
87 photos

I have found the Dremel SpeedClic by far superior to the standard ones and they are very easy to fit. Used them yesterday to cut off the damaged ends on tool clamp bolts in a Colchester QCTH.

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest