Rewire of motor

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Marischal Ellis19/11/2019 18:44:52
25 forum posts
11 photos

Help with motor rewiring of a planer thickness

I ask if anyone can help me please

My local elect. merchants were not terribly helpful and neither were local motor winders. Mixed descriptions possibly. My wood planer thickneser, (German made) which I have had for about 30 years is a bit elderly like myself. It is probably 40 or 50 years old. It is a good, powerful machine in which I can push timber 250 x 50 though without any problems of stalling or cutting out. It size is 250 x 150mm so perhaps a good specimen for a DIY shed. Staggering about in my workshop, as I do nowadays, I realise I should upgrade the switching to be safe before anything happens to me.

It presently has a rotary switch, capacitor motor with a trip button. Appears it can be used as 1 or 3 phase 240v to 500v if so wired. The switch rating is marked 16 amps. A black wire from the motor to switch is tagged as an upside down 'U'. or is that on its side a 'C' slightly thinner than the others I assume from trip switch in motor, The motor has a small red button so may be the cut off wire to/from the red overload trip reset button. Like me, my multimeter needs a fresh battery so I failed to establish what is what but probably obvious when thought through. Told by my local motor winder the start up current will 21/2 times the running load. So about 4-5 amps, but is that too low for say a 1.5 or 2 Kw motor. No label to say what motor is so dont know

This is what I think I have.............. ­Single phase motor, 240 volt running off a 13 amp socket (13 amp fused).­Capacitor motor with trip reset button.Max load I assume is less than 13 amps.Belt driven.­Simple through switching rated at max 16 amps.

So........ should I be able to rewire and switch as follows..................Fitting a new push button stop/start switch with e-stop mushroom, either together or made up of two, bypassing to the out side of the switch. Most available on Ebay, etc seem to be 10 amp rating available. The black (reset wire would need to be wired into a individual terminal) on the stop/start buttons. There isn't always a separate terminal available.The e -top is straight wired looping into the out terminals to the motor. NVR built in which are contacts I believe. Remake earthing wires using 1.5 mm and check continuity with legs/frame, etc.

I will not use the trip wire Initially, I may rewire and leave the existing tail to the motor but disconnected.... after I see it running again. Must I use the black wire?

Remake all cables in 1.5mm.

All in new enclosure boxes and mounted where I can reach them safely and sensibly

I have found a motor starter available at 15 amps and it is combined which would be easier for me but can I miss out the reset wire if that is what it is? There is no way I could stall the motor after 30 years.

Would anyone like to comment on the above please. I still need to wire up my 1950s metal lathe soon but that is for another day. Your help and comments on this planer would be most appreciated. The grand childs present has been done.The initial oops has gone but I still need to do this.

Your help would be most.

Emgee19/11/2019 23:13:52
1267 forum posts
210 photos

Hi Marischal

Best to start by borrowing an AC clamp meter to check the full load current (FLC) your motor draws when driven to max timber capacity, you will know by experience what it's capable of before slowing down.

I would suggest a DOL starter with overload to suit the estimated FLC of the motor, this would provide local stop/start, no volt protection , overload protection and the possibility to wire to an Emergency Stop on the machine for operator safety.

Emgee

Mark Rand20/11/2019 00:25:43
798 forum posts

Unless it is broken, I would not change it. You know where the stop position on the switch is now, a different switch won't make it any safer for you.

Marischal Ellis22/11/2019 12:57:45
25 forum posts
11 photos

Thank you gentlemen for your diverse replies. I thought I had a meter yesterday but no. So back to thinking. I have improved odds and bits and may just leave it as it is. It is a good machine which I could not match for price now a days. I have more or less done what I need for the moment and so will think about things, so thank you very much for replying. Such a help. Such a comfort. Best wishes to all.

Marischal

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest