Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

New Myford Owner

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Darren Gallagher 118/11/2019 11:16:22
3 forum posts

Hello everyone,

Ive just bought a ML7 lathe, it has a few bugs which i need to iron out but im in no rush and have time to strip it and make it good.

Ive also just bought a new house with a nice double garage, so my workshop is just beginning.

Next step Milling machine (Bridgeport style) then maybe a Jones Shipman grinder.

Long term plan is to restore classic cars, but this is very very long term.

Brian Wood18/11/2019 12:42:29
2022 forum posts
37 photos

Hello Darren,

Welcome to the Forum, you will have plenty to do by the sound of it

Regards Brian

Hopper19/11/2019 08:17:09
3785 forum posts
79 photos

Welcome aboard. Plenty of Myford owners on here with a wealth of knowledge to share. MEW is currently running an occasional series of articles on rebuilding a ML7 focusing on the wide guide conversion and bed reconditioning without regrinding. Also headstock bearing overhaul at some point.

Georgineer19/11/2019 12:49:18
273 forum posts
15 photos

Make a fresh pot of tea and open the biscuits, say goodbye to friends and family and turn your phone off. Find the 'search this site' box at the top of the screen and type in 'ML7'.

There you will find some articles and 280+ posts (including your own) listed, all with ML7 in the title. Don't forget to come up for air occasionally. Have fun!

George B.

Howard Lewis19/11/2019 21:32:02
2452 forum posts
2 photos

If you do not have a copy, get "The Amateur's Lathe" by L H Sparey, and Tubal Cain's "Model Engineer's Handbook"

Ian Bradley's "The Amateur's Workshop" also contains a lot of useful information, as, obviously does the "Myford Series 7 Manual" by the same author..

Reading these will clarify a lot of points, of useage, and may allow you to avoid making costly mistakes, and make better use of the machine, for greater enjoyment and satisfaction.

I was a Myford ML7 owner, and am in awe of the work that has been turned out on them. It is not a perfect machine, (There is no perfect machine tool. Horses for courses ) But used correctly it is a most capable machine.

I was going to say "Within its limitations" but superb work work has been produced by working outside the limitations of its size.

Enjoy yourself

Howard

Georgineer20/11/2019 11:47:35
273 forum posts
15 photos
Posted by Howard Lewis on 19/11/2019 21:32:02

I was going to say "Within its limitations" but superb work work has been produced by working outside the limitations of its size.

+1 on Howard's selection of books.

And if you want to see a Myford used outside its limitations, try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_ajcKhHLjU starting at 27:50. Warning: this is episode 13 of Project Binky (out of 26 so far) and it's seriously addictive. As is their Project Escargot.

George B

Darren Gallagher 121/11/2019 14:37:44
3 forum posts

Thanks for the messages everyone, i recently received the Ian Bradley 7 series manual, and i am slowly working my way through it.

Neil Wyatt21/11/2019 20:19:06
16752 forum posts
689 photos
76 articles

Welcome to the forum Darren,

Don't forget the only daft questions are the ones you forgot to ask!

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Allendale Electronics
cowells
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest