Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

Suitable metal / enclosure for project

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris TickTock11/11/2019 15:52:57
229 forum posts
10 photos

Thanks for all the posts. Pedantically grinding is distinct from polishing but sometimes the term 'lapping' is used for both in the context of grinding or coarse polishing.

Is my motor powerful enough....probably....hopefully..... remember a DC motor gives more torque at its lowest speed (according to Sherline.

Air flow is an issue in as much as a poster correctly points out the sensible provision for vents.

Many thanks to all that posted

Chris

Michael Gilligan11/11/2019 20:00:26
14264 forum posts
627 photos
Posted by Ian P on 11/11/2019 15:07:18:

Grinding and lapping are both material removal processes but they are distinctly different techniques as far as I know.

Ian,

I would be genuinely grateful if you could provide definitions which clarify the distinction, without any ambiguity or blurring

I am aware that ‘lapping’ generally involves having loose particles between two surfaces: BUT, as I mentioned earlier, there is the case of the ‘charged lap’ in which the particles are deliberately forced into the softer surface prior to use.

... Are you saying that [contrary to custom] this device should be classed as a grinder (or perhaps a hone) not a lap ?

MichaelG.

Just in time for an edit: I’ve found this https://www.grs.com/PDF/LIT-322_CastIron.pdf

Which at least confirms that I wasn’t making-it-up.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 11/11/2019 20:26:02

Ian P11/11/2019 20:25:49
2254 forum posts
91 photos
Whilst I can see the similarity between a charged lap and abrasive material bonded into a rigid substrate, I doubt anybody would consider the lap as a grinder. Equally I cannot see the wheels that ChrisTT has being used in the manner of a charged lap.
Ian P
This is what Google comes up with for the two processes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grinding is an abrasive machining process that uses a grinding wheel or grinder as the cutting tool. ... Grinding is used to finish workpieces that must show high surface quality and high accuracy of shape and dimension. It has some roughing applications in which grinding removes high volumes of metal very rapidly.
Lapping is a machining process in which two surfaces are rubbed together with an abrasive between them, by hand movement or using a machine. ... The other form of lapping involves a softer material such as pitch or a ceramic for the lap, which is "charged" with the abrasive.
Michael Gilligan11/11/2019 20:30:21
14264 forum posts
627 photos

I don’t think we are getting any nearer to the clear distinction that you claimed, Ian

... Let’s just call it quits, my friend. yes

MichaelG.

Ian P11/11/2019 21:11:34
2254 forum posts
91 photos

Happy with agreeing to disagree

Ian Psmile

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
cowells
emcomachinetools
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest