By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

Hobbymat MD65 clone tailstock alignemnt

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Qwerty Asdf10/11/2019 17:25:36
4 forum posts

Would appreciate if anyone could advise on how to align the tailstock on hobbymat md65 clone. Tailstock is exact copy of the one on hobbymat md65.It is a one piece. Any ideas on how to align it?

Thanks in advance!

old mart10/11/2019 18:16:41
797 forum posts
77 photos

You first need a test bar to suit the bed length of your lathe. I have two Indian made ones, both with MT2 at one end, one has about 5" and the other 9" of parallel length. Both have centres in their ends. I chucked up a piece of steel about 10mm diameter in the chuck and turned a 60 degree point on it. It must not be removed from the chuck (or collet) until after the alignment is complete, and if it is re used at a later date, it must have the tip recut before testing. Put the bar in between the temporary centre and a dead centre in the tailstock and run a dti fixed to the saddle along the plain part of the bar and adjust the tailstock sideways until it is exactly in line with the axis of the lathe. The height can also be checked with the dti on top of the bar. This is not so easy to adjust, and won't be a problem if it proves to be one about 0.07mm or 0.003" high at the right end.

These test bars come in MT1 upwards to suit all sizes of lathe. I bought mine on ebay, and they are better than I can measure.

You can also put the MT end in the tailstock to check that the quill is lined up.

I wonder if the headstock would have to be moved if the tailstock is fixed? You still need to know whether the tailstock quill is in line with the bed axis first in this case.

Edited By old mart on 10/11/2019 18:22:07

Qwerty Asdf10/11/2019 19:26:21
4 forum posts

Thanks a lot. When I put dead centers in spindle and quill and move them tip to tip I see that tail stock center is lower and to the side (to the right, looking from head stock to the tail stock). Then I did a test cut to see whether the head stock is aligned with the ways, on a 90 mm distance the diameters had a 0.03 mm difference. Then I turned a bar in chuck and tail stock with a live center and on a 90 mm diameters had 0.1 mm difference (bigger diameter at the head stock).

But I don't know how to adjust this type of tail stock. It is just one piece and has no adjustment to sides. Below is the picture.

Qwerty Asdf10/11/2019 19:28:35
4 forum posts

Tail stock picture

Edited By Qwerty Asdf on 10/11/2019 19:30:20

old mart10/11/2019 20:08:19
797 forum posts
77 photos

I think you will have to try and get a manual for the lathe, or wait a little longer for an expert user to post. If the tailstock is not adjustable, then the only way to get it in line would be by moving the headstock, and that definitely requires the exact procedure.

Edited By old mart on 10/11/2019 20:08:49

Ian Johnson 110/11/2019 20:34:58
176 forum posts
52 photos

I have real Prazisionsdrehmaschinen MD65, but it's in the shed under wraps, so I checked the manual and there is no mention of tailstock adjustment.

1573417438574366025279891443366.jpg

My machine came with an inspection report, and from factory it is a very accurate machine, see photo. Your clone, wherever it came from, may not be as accurate from factory and the tailstock misalignment could be as it came from the factory.

Ian

Bazyle10/11/2019 21:18:42
4796 forum posts
187 photos

I can't remember if the tailstock is the same as the saddle but I think it probably is. The bed is D shaped. Drills that produce a D shaped hole are hard to make (yes they so exist! ) so they drilled a round hole and stuck a filler piece of plastic in. This can both wear (dropping the height, and twist round, or the wear might be lopsided.

One thing to do is extend the tailstock barrel a couple of inches and lock it. Then measure the height wrt the bed along the top and see if it is sloping nose down (most likely I think) or down all along.
Also check that you original diagnosis is not just a misaligned centre or bit of dirt in the taper.

I'm not sure how to solve the error as spare parts are a problem.

BTW I don't think they are clones, just they used more than one legitimate factory.

Edited By Bazyle on 10/11/2019 21:20:11

Martin Hamilton 110/11/2019 21:26:24
145 forum posts

When you say its a clone of the MD65 be aware that the same MD65 lathe was also offered to other named lathes. These lathes had a different name plate on them & some painted a different colour to the original yellow.

Martin Hamilton 110/11/2019 21:40:40
145 forum posts

The MD65 was also offered as a Proxxon painted green & Saupe SD300, all the same machines.

Lathejack10/11/2019 22:34:04
250 forum posts
307 photos

Clones of the Hobbymat MD65 were produced in China, I think listed as the BL130 or something similar. I examined one at a machine tool dealers some years ago, it was marketed by Chester machine tools. It had the same paint job and info plate as a genuine Hobbymat and looked just the same, but was rather rough and ready with poor detailing.

Warco also once sold a version of the Hobbymat that looked quite good, but this one had two round bars for the bed, one larger diameter than the other.

old mart11/11/2019 16:10:17
797 forum posts
77 photos

Don't do testing with a live centre, they only add errors. When I got the longer test bar, I fell for the live centre error, I thought the test bar was a lemon, until I ran it on a dead centre. Then the runout was less than I could detect.

Lambton11/11/2019 19:24:57
690 forum posts
2 photos

Qwerty"

"Tailstock is exact copy of the one on hobbymat md65.It is a one piece. Any ideas on how to align it? "

Your tailstock, and the rest of the lathe, is probably an inferior copy of the excellent Hobbymat MD65.

If the design is similar then there is no way that you can adjust the alignment of either the tailstock or the headstock. It is possible to adjust the "fit" of the tailstock to the lathe bed to ensure smooth and secure movement but this will not alter the basic alignment.

Why are clones of good machines made? Probably to make a cheaper product without going to the trouble of getting the manufacture correct. Then all that is produced is an inferior "look a like" .

I have owned a genuine Hobbymat for nearly 20 years and have found it to be accurate in every respect.

Eric

Qwerty Asdf11/11/2019 20:29:43
4 forum posts

Thanks a lot everyone for your help!

Thus, that is an unadjustable tailstock. I just couldn't believe that and was thinking I totally miss the trick how to adjust it

I just put a 0.05 mm filler gage between the bed and the tailstock (on a suitable side to compensate) and accuracy improved. One way I see is to alter the construction of the tailstock and make it an adjustable one. I also tested with two dead centers and a filler gage in between and misalignment is just visible. So for now I can't fully use the tailstock.

Also, there is no company name on it only "model BV130 bench lathe", nothing else. It is indeed quite crude and with some die you see a lot of surfaces which are not flat or have minimal contact between each other. Thus, looks like this lathe is a hobby in itself.

old mart11/11/2019 22:21:09
797 forum posts
77 photos

If you also have a mill, that tailstock could be made adjustable, or maybe another make of tailstock could have a base made for it which fits your bed. Modifying a different tailstock would not risk the original one.

Nicholas Farr12/11/2019 11:14:30
1998 forum posts
958 photos

Hi Qwerty Asdf, if it has the same type of round bar with a flat part at the top, it is possible that the plastic part in the tailstock has shifted a little somehow, maybe it got knocked very hard by falling over. The bar itself may have shifted in the headstock and one way to check this is to see if you can notice if the cross slide moves parallel with the central plain. Failing either of the two above, it could just be an error in the plastic part or its position in the tailstock during manufacture.

At least two other posters on here have had trouble with these plastic parts, in the saddle I think, becoming loose or moving.

Regards Nick.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
cowells
emcomachinetools
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest