Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

Yet another 'which mill shall I buy'

But with some more direct questions!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Iain Downs21/11/2019 19:57:34
516 forum posts
397 photos

I've found a chap in Otley offering a day's hire for a 2 ton hoist for 15 quid on eBay.

Can't complain at that!

Iain

John Rutzen22/11/2019 09:00:21
118 forum posts
1 photos

I've got an Amadeal 25 long table with brushless DC motor and R8 taper and I'm very pleased with it. The quality is really good, a surprise because I was expecting much worse from China. The motor is silent and never gets hot. The R8 taper is a real plus and I think it's only amadeal that supply it. Service was great and delivery only £75 to Northern Ireland. I think it's free to Uk mainland. Nothing to complain of really. It would be nice if it had back gear.

Packmule22/11/2019 15:22:05
97 forum posts
5 photos

Hi Iain,

I bought from SPG SP2217-IV some 2 years ago and other than operator error recently have had no problems whatsoever Its done everything I wanted without a hint of struggling. These also go under the name of Grizzly G0705 in the U.S and if you google there are plenty of sites from owners who have upgraded to cnc etc

I fitted Dro from Allendale for I think £350 but that was 12months or more ago, no connection to either company,

Bob

Iain Downs29/11/2019 21:11:19
516 forum posts
397 photos

Well.

As usual there isn't quite the perfect machine.

The one I feel is the closest fit is a Weiss VM32B.

I like this because it is big: 840x210 bed with 580x210 movement, 100mm stroke and 470 spindle to table.

Also 1500W DC brushless, back gear and 60-4000 rpm and heavy (240kg) which must count for something.

But, no-one seems to sell it in the UK. Amadeal thought they were getting some in, but it's a less powerful machine (VM32L - 1100W with only one gear and a smaller speed range).

I spent some time with Ketan this week looking at an SX3 which I like. Has a lovely Z axis wheel at table level and of all the providers in the UK, I'd most like to buy from ARC. But it's smaller (sob). Still a contender at the moment.

I've been in touch with Weiss about importing a VM32B which looks like I could get one into the UK for under £1500 quid, but the obvious concerns there are spares and support. You can't send one back under guarantee!

My current (changeable) short list is:-

Weiss VM32B - if I can get one

ARC SX3

WM18 - I'd be happier if it had a more powerful/ brushless motor

Amadeal VM32L: I really liked the idea of a back gear and a bit more grunt, but it's a reasonable spec for all that.

Iain

Iain Downs04/12/2019 17:11:59
516 forum posts
397 photos

Just as a matter of interest has anyone upgraded the motor on a WM18 to a more powerful / brushless / VMD version?

Thanks

Iain

Clive Brown 104/12/2019 18:52:46
285 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Iain Downs on 29/11/2019 21:11:19:

Well.

As usual there isn't quite the perfect machine.

The one I feel is the closest fit is a Weiss VM32B.

I like this because it is big

But, no-one seems to sell it in the UK. Amadeal thought they were getting some in, but it's a less powerful machine (VM32L - 1100W with only one gear and a smaller speed range).

Iain

Axminster market the SX4, big brother to the SX3 and seems broadly similar to the VM32B without the high speed range.

Iain Downs06/12/2019 16:04:14
516 forum posts
397 photos

Until now I've been flirting with tender young things, beautiful but flighty, but I've just been seduced by a glamorous mature lady with huge experience and tremendous assets...

And before you lift the phone to call the police (or a Doctor), I should tell you the the glamorous lady was an Aceira F3 in extra-ordinary condition!

Yes, I was swayed by the seductive lure of old Iron. The machine was lovely, felt lovely, smooth as silk. It had a bunch of accessories and despite being older than I am still showed the original frosting on the ways. A youthful body with plenty of experience and accessories. What more could a model engineer want?

Despite falling half in love, I've decided against the purchase. Transport, Imperial, cost of additional tooling or repairs. I also wanted something with a bigger work area (though God knows if I'll ever use it) and I found the layout odd - not bad, but not something I'm used to.

So I'm going to return to my juvenile sweeties, but I will always slightly regret the one that got away...

Iain

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest