By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

injectors

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Garry Coles04/11/2019 17:52:27
56 forum posts

Hi, This might be a stupid question and I might get a stupid answer. But why does the water to the injector not drain the water from the tank when the steam supply is off, or do you need a another shut off valve in the water supply line as well as the steam supply line.

Garry

RMA04/11/2019 18:00:14
231 forum posts
4 photos

Yes, you do need a valve for the water.

Garry Coles04/11/2019 18:38:39
56 forum posts

Thanks for that. I thought you must, but my plans only mentioned the steam supply valve.

Garry

Paul Lousick05/11/2019 00:44:54
1321 forum posts
526 photos

There are also lifting injectors which suck the water vertically and do not need a valve in the water supply. I have used them on full size engines but have not seen them used on models. Probably because of the higher steam pressures used in full size engines.

Paul.

Brian Oldford05/11/2019 10:53:22
598 forum posts
4 photos

The water valves on many standard gauge engines are at just the right height on which you can bruise your calf or ankle.

Harry Wilkes05/11/2019 14:30:48
829 forum posts
60 photos

Garry if you do fit a water shut off valve make sure the bore of the valve doesn't restrict the water flow

H

duncan webster05/11/2019 15:19:31
2437 forum posts
39 photos

If it's time for silly questions, could you take the overflow from the injector back above the level of the tank so that it didn't drain the tank. I realise you wouldn't then be able to run water through the injector to cool it if it got too hot

John Alexander Stewart05/11/2019 18:52:41
759 forum posts
51 photos

A lifting injector is "the same as" a non-lifting one, with the exceptions:

- a lifting one needs to work as an "ejector" to lift the water up into the injector; (some full size ones lack this ability) - it means that the overflow needs to be quite large to reduce back-pressure;

- any injector needs to not heat the incoming water too much; in our small injectors, there's a large surface area to water volume as compared to the full-size; having water drip through it keeps it cool, so the steam from the steam cone has a better chance of condensing.

Duncan - on one coal-fired steam crane I used to supervise over here in Canada, one of the volunteers had trouble with the Hancock Inspirator, which should have been self-priming, and lots of steam went out the overflow, which was plumbed BACK into the water tank. Water was low in the boiler; I could not get the injector to lift; the water tank was very warm to the touch; got a fire hose to fill the water tank with cold water, and things were back to normal.

Anyway, just my tuppence on this beautiful day.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest