By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale November 25th

Colchester SaftiLok problem

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mr Spoon03/11/2019 23:28:27
6 forum posts

New here but lurked for a long time. About time I got involved!

I have a Colchester Triumph round head lathe. Owned it for years but only now getting it up and running.

I have a problem with the start lever. It will not latch into place. It doesn't have much travel. I have to hold the handle up firmly. The reversing switch works fine though.

If I adjust the stops at the back until it latches then the limit switch trips in and it wont start at all.

Do I need to dismantle the rear switch or is it just an adjustment problem? What is the purpose of the rear limit switch?

Any help most welcome.

Phil Whitley04/11/2019 21:32:55
929 forum posts
130 photos

Right! first I have a roundhead student, not a triumph. Is it anything like this on yours? The round drum is the forward/reverse, and the box with the plunger is the start/stop. it does require adjustment to stay locked down, but as I remember it is adjustment on the lever mechanism, not the switch itself.

Mr Spoon05/11/2019 01:48:44
6 forum posts

Thanks for that.

mine is pretty similar.

20191021_195454.jpg

Mr Spoon05/11/2019 01:49:22
6 forum posts

So is the switch at the bottom the actual stop start?

It says limit switch on it.

Phil Whitley05/11/2019 20:15:48
929 forum posts
130 photos

yes, that is the stop/start, and when I rebuilt my student, I had to mess with the adjustment to get it functioning again, I will have a look tomorrow when I am at the workshop and get back to you tommorow

Mr Spoon06/11/2019 00:01:47
6 forum posts

Thanks for that.

So basically if you push that plunger down at the back of the lathe it should run?

Phil Whitley07/11/2019 14:20:31
929 forum posts
130 photos

Yes it should, and you should hear the relay behind the control panel at the front click in (loudly)

Mr Spoon07/11/2019 17:55:54
6 forum posts

Just tried it - the lathe started fine - loud clunk from below - but then stopped again after a second or so. It seems as if it cuts out if you push the switch down too far. Is that correct or do you think the switch needs adjusting?

Phil Whitley07/11/2019 20:05:32
929 forum posts
130 photos

you need to have a look behind the belt guard and adjust the locknuts till you get this effect, see the pics marked "ON" and "OFF". mine is not the saftiloc type, just an up/on down/off switch, but looks exactly like yours. On the saftiloc type you had to pull the handle towards you, then lift it before the lathe would start.

yes, I think if it goes to far it will switch off again

Mr Spoon12/11/2019 00:19:45
6 forum posts

I opened the switch to see what was going on.

Any idea why it is designed to trip off if you push it down too far?

Really annoying. When I adjust it to latch it is on the verge of tripping. To get it to run I have to push the bottom contacts back down again.

Any chance of opening the switch cover and taking 2 photos - up and down? With the lathe UNPLUGGED of course!

20191107_204310.jpg

20191107_204319.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Dec 4th 2019
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest