Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

Flxispeed Meteor II - Centre Height in Gap

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
James Alford03/11/2019 22:24:12
359 forum posts
72 photos

My lathe is currently packed away whilst I have a new garage put up, so I cannot measure for myself: does anyone know what the centre height is in the gap on a Flexispeed Meteor II? I have written down the centre height over the saddlle as 1 7/8", but I have no note of the gap size.

Regards,

Jamie.

not done it yet03/11/2019 23:22:24
3548 forum posts
15 photos

Lathes.co.uk is your friend. It appears, from a quick scan, that centre height was only 1 5/8”? SoI doubt the centre height over the saddle was that much - possibly the swing over the saddle, maybe? I might be wrong, of course.

**LINK**

peak404/11/2019 00:19:37
901 forum posts
85 photos

I believe it's similar to my Simat 101

Simat 101

Bill

John Baguley04/11/2019 00:59:32
432 forum posts
46 photos

Bill is correct. I've just measured mine and the swing in the gap is 5-1/4"

John

James Alford04/11/2019 07:13:41
359 forum posts
72 photos

Thank you for the replies, which are a great help. I did have a look at the lathes.co.uk website, but I could not work out whether the dimensions given applied to the later models or just the earlier ones.

Regards,

James.

not done it yet04/11/2019 07:45:16
3548 forum posts
15 photos

Although not entirely clear when I had a quick look it did appear to be fairly indicative, from this section, that the information was there somewhere.

Quote: “ Although sold with the Flexispeed name cast into the bed the only advertisements seen for this later version show the "Meteor 11" model, but it is known that when the lathe was supplied with a single swivelling tool slide (as distinct from a compound slide) and without the automatic carriage traverse it was known as the "Meteor 1". The pitch of the leadscrew was coarsened from 12 to 8 t.p.i. with the fine feed rate of the carriage, using the original worm-and-wheel arrangement, set at 0.0015" per revolution of the spindle. Whilst the turning capacity of the lathe was unchanged the finish was improved by the use of chrome-plated handwheels and levers - and then promptly ruined by castings painted in a ghastly light-blue Hammerite.“ Unquote.

James Alford04/11/2019 22:22:08
359 forum posts
72 photos
Posted by not done it yet on 04/11/2019 07:45:16:

Although not entirely clear when I had a quick look it did appear to be fairly indicative, from this section, that the information was there somewhere.

Quote: “ Although sold with the Flexispeed name cast into the bed the only advertisements seen for this later version show the "Meteor 11" model, but it is known that when the lathe was supplied with a single swivelling tool slide (as distinct from a compound slide) and without the automatic carriage traverse it was known as the "Meteor 1". The pitch of the leadscrew was coarsened from 12 to 8 t.p.i. with the fine feed rate of the carriage, using the original worm-and-wheel arrangement, set at 0.0015" per revolution of the spindle. Whilst the turning capacity of the lathe was unchanged the finish was improved by the use of chrome-plated handwheels and levers - and then promptly ruined by castings painted in a ghastly light-blue Hammerite.“ Unquote.

I must have missed that part: thank you.

Does anyone know when the Meteor II was discontinued? From the lathes.co.uk website it suggests that it was in the mid 70s, but I am not sure.

James.

Edited By James Alford on 04/11/2019 22:31:36

peak404/11/2019 23:50:54
901 forum posts
85 photos
Posted by James Alford on 04/11/2019 22:22:08:

Does anyone know when the Meteor II was discontinued? From the lathes.co.uk website it suggests that it was in the mid 70s, but I am not sure.

James.

Not sure James, but the receipt for my Simat is dated 1982 (£95)

Bill

James Alford06/11/2019 06:54:47
359 forum posts
72 photos
Posted by peak4 on 04/11/2019 23:50:54:
Posted by James Alford on 04/11/2019 22:22:08:

James.

Not sure James, but the receipt for my Simat is dated 1982 (£95)

Bill

Thank you.

James.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowbells
LMES
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest