Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

kerry ag lathe

headstock oil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
robert stokoe22/10/2019 16:23:13
4 forum posts

I have just bought a kerry AG lathe and the manual tells me to use esso esstric 50 oil in the headstock as this stuff has not been available for some time does anyone know what the suitable alternative is

Neil Wyatt22/10/2019 16:55:23
16655 forum posts
687 photos
75 articles

Welcome to the forum Robert, this should do the job:

www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/golden-film-sae-50-classic-motor-oil.html

Neil

robert stokoe22/10/2019 17:37:33
4 forum posts

thanks very mu ch for the quick reply, my intention is to replace the oil that is present as I have no idea how long it has been in the headstock, on a separate issue as this is my first lathe with a screwcutting gearbox, the manual says that when not screwcutting to put the right hand tumbler (numbers 1-9) into neutral position, but there is only the 9 slots so where is neutral?

MichaelR22/10/2019 18:35:58
344 forum posts
57 photos

This may help Link 

Mike.

Edited By MichaelR on 22/10/2019 18:37:03

robert stokoe22/10/2019 18:58:13
4 forum posts

I read the info on the "lathes" website but they say nothing in regards to headstock oil or a screwcutting gearbox neutral position, I will try to find out more info on the norton type screw cutting gearboxes

Robert

not done it yet22/10/2019 19:07:24
3477 forum posts
15 photos

From the normal meaning of ‘neutral’ it would indicate the position where there is no output - just like gears of a car.

not done it yet22/10/2019 19:07:39
3477 forum posts
15 photos

Regarding lubricants - these have moved on since years gonenpast.  A modern equivalent is likely available from a modern oil blending company.  Probably a modern equivalent, probably exceeding the original specification, would be available at less cost than the option above.

I simply ask Witham Oils if I cannot find any alternatives for obscure specifications.  You may have a closer supplier.

Edited By not done it yet on 22/10/2019 19:16:02

Clive Foster22/10/2019 19:29:30
1867 forum posts
59 photos

There is an additional hole for the right hand tumbler plunger in row 2 an inch and a half or so below the normal hole.

That is the neutral position as the tumbler gears are out of mesh with the Norton screw cutting gear cone and cannot drive it. Instead it meshes with the drive gear of the power feed drive rod.  Feeds are selected via the left hand tumbler so the feed range is less comprehensive  than on lathes that drive both leadscrew and feed rod via the Norton cone. See the bottom picture on this page **LINK** which shows both hole and the instruction plate. The manual is not perhaps as clear as it should be.

You aren't the first person to be confused. Generally you don't expect a neutral position in a screw cutting gearbox as normal practice is to provide some way of disconnecting the drive. Whether by separate lever or simple dog clutch.

Judging by the one I had limited experience of the Kerry is good machine.

If the clutch action is iffy or unpredicable verify that the shaft carrying the clutch isn't moving sideways when the clutch is operated. The one my friend had suffered from this because the welch plug holding the right hand bearing in place had become a little loose allowing the bearing to shift sideways in the casting. Press fit of the bearing was tight on the shaft and light in the headstock. Just light enough to sometimes let the bearing move. He fixed it with a suitably stepped alloy cover held by three socket cap screws.

That was one of the older, Mk2 ones with a simple pluger lever to select feeds rather than the excellent gate pattern shifter used on later Mk3 machines. My friend found that the innards are sufficiently similar between older and later machines that DIY conversion to the gate pattern shifter is possible using simple, easily made, parts.

Clive

Edited By Clive Foster on 22/10/2019 19:30:09

Poxy auto spell correct won't leave some correctly spelled words alone!!!

Edited By Clive Foster on 22/10/2019 19:48:34

Edited By Clive Foster on 22/10/2019 19:55:12

robert stokoe01/11/2019 12:06:17
4 forum posts

I have replaced the oil in the headstock, luckily not much grunge in the bottom, I removed the oil nipples to check that oil was going through them Ok , about 50% success rate, may replace nipples or find a more powerful oil gun, (I used an american Eagle brand which is quite good pressure), but now my silly question, as the feeds gearbox is not fully enclosed and the gears can be seen looking upwards behind the left and right tumblers, so how do I get oil on these gears, the oil nipples only supply oil to the shaft/ spindle bearings, I can see several messy and oil wasting ways to do it but has anyone found a successful way to do it

Robert

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
cowbells
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest