Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Turning a recess in the end of a bar

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
larry phelan 122/10/2019 12:00:54
515 forum posts
11 photos

I need to turn a recess in the end of a bar of 40mm dia. The recess needs to be 30mm x6mm deep.

What type of tool bit or cutter do I need and how should I go about it ?

I will have to produce a number of these. I think they are intended to with some form of supports

I need to turn a recess 30mm x 6mm deep in the ends of a bar 40mm dia and I have a number of these to do.

What kind of toolbit or cutter do I need and how do I begin ?

All ideas welcome

larry phelan 122/10/2019 12:02:36
515 forum posts
11 photos

Please excuse my double post stubby fingers !

old mart22/10/2019 12:17:25
721 forum posts
64 photos

I would start with a small drill making sure the tip only went 6mm deep and then a succession of end mills up to the size of the tailstock chuck capacity. Then a boring bar just small enough to increase the size of the hole until there was room for a larger boring bar to finish the job.

SillyOldDuffer22/10/2019 12:20:53
4785 forum posts
1011 photos

I'd drill a 13mm / 1/2" hole of the required depth and then open it out to full diameter with a boring bar. That's assuming the work is short enough to be held in a chuck or the lathe can take a long 40mm diameter bar through the spindle!

If not, to deal with a long bar, I'd take the tailstock off, clamp the bar to height on the saddle, and bore the end recess with a cutter spinning in the chuck. I could probably do a 1500mm long bar that way, before the far end hit the wall, but the method is only limited by the need to support the free end of the bar and plenty of room beyond the tailstock end. (Which I don't have unless I turn the lathe through 90 degrees and open a door!)

My problem is, how does a lazy bloke with no money get someone else to sort out the brambles he's allowed to take over his garden. As it's I nice day I've been forced to tackle it this morning, and I HATE GARDENING.

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 22/10/2019 12:22:50

IanT22/10/2019 12:24:11
1344 forum posts
137 photos

Generally concur with Old Mart - but I think you will probably get away with just some (stepped) drilling to start with - and then a small boring bar to follow. You might want to move to a larger boring bar as you get deeper in.

For shallow (but wide) recesses, I can often get away with just a turning tool run back from a centre hole...

Regards,

IanT

Ian P22/10/2019 13:03:41
2217 forum posts
90 photos
Posted by larry phelan 1 on 22/10/2019 12:00:54:

I need to turn a recess in the end of a bar of 40mm dia. The recess needs to be 30mm x6mm deep.

What type of tool bit or cutter do I need and how should I go about it ?

I will have to produce a number of these. I think they are intended to with some form of supports

I need to turn a recess 30mm x 6mm deep in the ends of a bar 40mm dia and I have a number of these to do.

What kind of toolbit or cutter do I need and how do I begin ?

All ideas welcome

As others have said, start with a drilled hole (about 6mm to the correct depth) I would then switch to an endmill held in the toolpost that is used in the same manner as a boring bar. The endmill can have 2 or more flutes so just line up one flute on the centerline. Even if the endmill is not a centre cutting one, up to about 10 or 12mm diameter it will plunge into the drilled hole and then just wind out the crosslide to the bore needed.

Without knowing the intended purpose of the recess all you can do is make the part to the specification given, but it may be that it would not matter if there was a pip or the remnants of the drilled hole still present at the bottom of the recess.

Ian P

not done it yet22/10/2019 13:23:24
3477 forum posts
15 photos

Length of bar protruding from the chuck is important. If bore of spindle will accept 40mm - a simple boring tool or any suitable cutter once the recess is started at the centre.

If too big for the bore but short enough for “between centres”, use a fixed steady and then as above. If very long, as SOD

JasonB22/10/2019 13:35:26
16446 forum posts
1739 photos
1 articles

Any boring bar that takes CC** inserts will cut a flat bottom provide you have the height right

larry phelan 122/10/2019 14:33:39
515 forum posts
11 photos

Many thanks to everyone for such speedy replys.

I was called away by "A Higher Authority", and have just got back.

I am lucky in that my spindle will take 40mm, so overhang is not a problem,

I will attack that job tomorrow morning [Higher Authority willing ]

Dave, I know exactly how you feel about those brambles, I had to attack mine this year, was like the rain forest ,some of them 10 ft long and they fought back.

Be brave ! When it comes to getting rid of them, I just put a match to them some Sunday morning as an offering to the Sun God !

pgk pgk22/10/2019 16:26:46
1479 forum posts
285 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 22/10/2019 12:20:53:

My problem is, how does a lazy bloke with no money get someone else to sort out the brambles he's allowed to take over his garden. As it's I nice day I've been forced to tackle it this morning, and I HATE GARDENING.

Dave

Since the OP has been answered . I hate brambles too- and got acres of them. They have a habit of pulling the chain off chainsaws and not doing too well with brushcutter blades. Local farmer in't pub last friday stated a specific weedkiller for them but the name escapes me...it;s too late in the season really for weedkillers anyway but I understand the DIY weedkiller way is to mix glyphosate with wallpaper paste and soak trails in a bowl - the wallpaper paste lets you know which one's you've done. Again impractical when you have as much as I do. They're going to die back now anyway. If the ground is suitable then a front deck lawn mower will mulch them down (my method around the garden edges) or a tarctor and topper round field boundaries--- back up and lower the topper on 'em.

I had a few to cut my way through before felling some trees last week and , yeah, took the chain off the saw just before i finished (again)

larry phelan 123/10/2019 15:54:34
515 forum posts
11 photos

Based on the advice given, I attacked that job this morning and am happy to be able to report success.

I do not have one of those boring bars mentioned by Jason but will look into getting one, since I suspect this job will crop up again.

Again, my thanks to all who responded, it is much appreciated.smiley

SillyOldDuffer23/10/2019 17:18:04
4785 forum posts
1011 photos
Posted by pgk pgk on 22/10/2019 16:26:46:
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 22/10/2019 12:20:53:

Dave

...it;s too late in the season really for weedkillers anyway but I understand the DIY weedkiller way is to mix glyphosate with wallpaper paste and soak trails in a bowl - the wallpaper paste lets you know which one's you've done. ...

Thanks for the hint, sounds like a good idea, and practical in my garden if I grit my teeth and get stuck in. As the brambles are mixed in with wanted plants I've tried carefully spraying glyphosphate . Not worked well because it's hard to gauge coverage and see where I've been, Soaking the trails in a bowl is a clever way of ensuring take up too.

Can't wait to try it next year!!!

Ta,

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
cowbells
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest