Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale November 25th

Boiler making problem.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
BOB BLACKSHAW22/10/2019 10:33:43
234 forum posts
51 photos

I've got K N Harris boilermaking book and cant find the questions I need to make my boiler. The book points out that people with reasonable intelligence should understand the procedure with making a boiler, obviously I'm lacking here.

My question is that I want to make the end caps and tubes together as one unit so I can check that the tubes are silver soldered correctly. I want to put the unit in the tube and silver solder the ends to the main tube.

I've seen on You Tube that the bronze bushes are silver soldered on the inside of the tube , If I do that then I cant slide the unit through, as the sides of the flanges will engage the silver soldered joint.

I could silver solder the bronze bushes from the outside of the main tube, is this a standard way of doing it ?.

I want to flange the tubes slightly this is why I want to make the tube and end plates in one unit.

Thanks Bob.

3404622/10/2019 10:44:36
793 forum posts
6 photos

I stage solder 1 the inners and assemble then stage solder 2 the end caps . Bushes are fitted as the last fix and soldered externally at the lower temperature ie 2.

Hope this helps

Bill

John Baguley22/10/2019 10:45:04
432 forum posts
46 photos

It is normal practice to fit the bushes from the outside so there's no reason why you can't fit them after you have fitted the tube and end cap assembly.

John

J Hancock22/10/2019 12:53:50
320 forum posts

I am no relative but if you are building a locomotive boiler, IMO there is only one book , by Alec Farmer (try abe).

BOB BLACKSHAW24/10/2019 11:39:06
234 forum posts
51 photos

Thanks for the replies.

Its bronze bushes for fittings on the boiler, but can brass be used for making the water tubes and other fittings.

The boiler I'm making will not get a lot of use as I just want to make one first then progress to a better boiler later after I've mastered the basics.

I have 1.5m of 62mm copper tube 1.5mm thick so plenty to play with, and have similar length of 108mm pipe for the main boiler I want to make later, but as Iv said minimal use.

Thanks Bob

3404624/10/2019 11:51:47
793 forum posts
6 photos

Bob

Brass is fine for fittings.

it would be good to some progress pictures as and when.

Bill

BOB BLACKSHAW24/10/2019 12:22:06
234 forum posts
51 photos

No pressure then Bill. as I've got older my hands are beginning to shake so more silver solder will be used.

Bob

3404624/10/2019 13:37:39
793 forum posts
6 photos
Posted by BOB BLACKSHAW on 24/10/2019 12:22:06:

No pressure then Bill. as I've got older my hands are beginning to shake so more silver solder will be used.

Bob

With you on that one.

I make rings of the silver solder which are placed around the tubes after fluxing, then heat from underneath and it makes a nice joint without runs.

That is how I have done the boilers in my album.

Bill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Dec 4th 2019
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest