By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Limiting pressure to a gauge

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Stevens20/10/2019 15:43:26
1095 forum posts

I suggest hat the only problem you might have (apart from bending the innards of the oil gauge) might be an overload of the pump drive gears. This depends on how well engineered and how substantial they are.

But I keep asking myself - this engine has been rebuilt to something like the original, but surely the original would not have over-burdened the oil gauge as it now does? Perhaps if the oil pump has been rebuilt, the new parts are a better fit, etc? And perhaps an unnecessarily better fit?

Tim

Tim Stevens20/10/2019 17:26:22
1095 forum posts

I've had a further thought about my claim above [every four-stroke ...]. One or two engines did not have a PRV - they were engines without plain bearings - rollers or balls everywhere. Examples include Manx Norton and Ducati singles and twins. In these engines, the major volume of oil is directed at overhead camshafts, from whence it flows over the head and takes lots of heat away to the sump - or separate oil tank.

But that sort of engine is not what we are considering here.

Tim

not done it yet20/10/2019 18:06:56
3478 forum posts
15 photos

The last VE post says enough - it was an experimental engine.

I have a Wisconsin VE4 engine that simply sprays oil around the required areas of the engine and so would not require a PRV. It does not have an oil pressure gauge of any description. A blocked big end spray nozzle might be the death of the crank - while still registering the low running pressure. I don’t think the roller-bearing mains were lubricated directly, just relying on oil splash, even though it revs to 2200rpm.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne; London MES
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest