Brake band friction lining

Where to get suitable materials

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Plasma14/10/2019 19:16:26
338 forum posts
41 photos

Hi all.

I'm currently renovating a Wheelhorse garden tractor a d the brake band is pretty shot.

It is a thin steel backing strip with some kind of friction material bonded to it.

Does anyone know what type of flexible friction material I need and where to get it from.

I have emailed a brake lining company called jim jack services in cumbernauld a d await their response.

Regards plasma

not done it yet14/10/2019 19:26:30
3584 forum posts
15 photos

If they are any good, they should be able to supply or fit. Be patient!

john brown 1714/10/2019 19:30:49
102 forum posts
3 photos

Look on the net under wheel horse forums ,one of the boys in there will help you out ,when l did mine years ago now ,l cut up the cheapest brake shoes l could find and used them ,fixing them to the band with counter small counter sunk bolts ,hope that helps.

john

Nick M0NPH14/10/2019 19:36:50
21 forum posts

You could try this lot

www.trimat.co.uk

they will definitely be able to sort you out but going on the size you want it may just be an off cut

Nick

Brian Sweeting14/10/2019 19:50:28
387 forum posts
1 photos

I found a few suppliers listed with a Google search of "flexible brake band material" if the suppliers shown above do not work out.

Plasma14/10/2019 20:33:08
338 forum posts
41 photos

Thanks chaps. Trimat were my first port of call but they only do large quantities for industrial purposes. They put me in to Jim Jack.

I just wondered if anyone had a supplier they had used.

Plasma

peak415/10/2019 01:28:33
902 forum posts
85 photos

I've just been looking for the two Sheffield places I used to use, but it seems they've either moved or closed.
However, there's also Custom Brakes and Hydraulics still in Sheffield, though unless it's a re-brand of one of the other firms, I've not used them myself..

I think they do machine stuff, and also the classic car and bike market as well.

Bill

Michael Gilligan15/10/2019 08:33:09
14280 forum posts
628 photos

The site in Chapel-en-le-Frith is much reduced, but it may still be worth contacting Ferodo.

**LINK**

https://www.ferodo.co.uk/contact.html

MichaelG.

Plasma15/10/2019 09:56:53
338 forum posts
41 photos

Custom brakes in Sheffield are the most convenient and were very helpful on the phone. Just drop it off and it will be back with you next working day, guaranteed oven bonded so for 30 quid that's the best bet.

Many thanks for all suggestions.

Plasma

Plasma17/10/2019 16:15:17
338 forum posts
41 photos

Just to update, the guys at Custom brakes in Sheffield were fantastic. I dropped off the brake band at 10 am and they rang to say I could collect it at 3pm.

Made a fabulous job, grit blasting the friction surfaces, heat bonding a new lining in place and getting the unit ready to refit.

They said if it has friction surfaces we can refurbish it. No matter how big or small.

No connection to them but heartily recommend them of you need friction linings sorting out.

Regards, plasma.

Michael Gilligan17/10/2019 17:01:06
14280 forum posts
628 photos

Great news, Plasma yes

Nice to know such places still exist.

MichaelG.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest