By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

What are these pliers for

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David George 114/10/2019 16:40:17
1873 forum posts
505 photos

Can anyone say what these pliers used for a friend has them and asked what are they for.





Peter G. Shaw14/10/2019 17:40:10
1455 forum posts
44 photos

Known as Quickgrips, and are used as quick & easy way of tightening & undoing nuts and/or screws as long as there are two opposing flat surfaces for the jaws to bear on.

Very useful for smallish nuts & bolts, say up to about 10mm across flats.

Peter G. Shaw

Steve Neighbour14/10/2019 18:09:25
120 forum posts
1 photos

More precisely, they look very like a pair of Telephone specific 'GPO' quick-grip pliers, manufactured by GEO Plumpton Ltd around 1965-70

John Haine14/10/2019 18:13:58
4718 forum posts
273 photos

I have an identical pair, which is same as I used to have in my PO toolkit, but neither of those had the "longitudinal" slot in the jaw - might that be an "aftermarket" add-on?

Jim Nic14/10/2019 19:14:57
388 forum posts
220 photos

In my experience they are used to partially round off bolt heads so spanners no longer fit. Also used in the creation of blood-blisters.wink 2


vintage engineer14/10/2019 21:19:23
259 forum posts
1 photos

Obviously not used by engineers!

Ian Skeldon 214/10/2019 22:32:50
541 forum posts
54 photos

Possibly hog ring pliers used by upholsters?

peak415/10/2019 01:33:42
1786 forum posts
193 photos

I've never seen GPO/BT quickgrips of that construction.
Some of the older ones were a box joint, though the ones that were issues by the time I joined in 1979 were a normal lap joint. That said, even the ones used by the old hands then were still of conventional solid jaw construction.
It's hard to tell from the photos, but are these some sort of a double lap joint, hence the slot, or an open ended box construction?


Edited By peak4 on 15/10/2019 01:34:52

oldvelo15/10/2019 03:37:11
295 forum posts
56 photos
Posted by Ian Skeldon 2 on 14/10/2019 22:32:50:

Possibly hog ring pliers used by upholsters?

I have used a similar pliers to fix chicken wire netting to a wire fence.


Michael Gilligan15/10/2019 08:51:11
20289 forum posts
1064 photos
Posted by peak4 on 15/10/2019 01:33:42:


It's hard to tell from the photos, but are these some sort of a double lap joint, hence the slot, or an open ended box construction?



Looks like the are box-jointed ... but really needs David to confirm.


David George 115/10/2019 09:15:40
1873 forum posts
505 photos

They are two solid jaws like ordinary pliers, jaws rough hex shape and with a slot machined through. There is a PF logo in a triangle logo embossed on the handle.


Peter G. Shaw15/10/2019 11:18:11
1455 forum posts
44 photos

I have a pair of quickgrips which I bought from either RS Components or Maplin - can't remember which. This would have been around 1980 which was when I had to give up my GPO toolkit. They are boxjoint construction.

Looking at Michaels blown-up photo, I would say that they are not boxjoint as the rivet for a lapjoint can easily be seen. Moreover, it also shows that a slight amount of wear is present.

Peter G. Shaw

Lambton15/10/2019 11:29:45
694 forum posts
2 photos

Searching my 1953 Buck & Hickman I found a picture of some pliers (Fig 2116 page 185) looking just like those in David's pictures.

The item is called Quick-Grip Pliers

" A handy tool for the motorist, cyclist, engineer, plumber, gasfitter, electric light fitter, watchmaker and every trade where nuts are used. Self adjusting."

Two sixes 6" priced at 2/7 and 7" priced at 2/10

Must be about the most universal tool ever made !


Nick Clarke 315/10/2019 11:40:57
1475 forum posts
64 photos

Looking at the slits in the jaws I think they would also work to insert a connector on the end of a wire into a receptacle, the wire passing through the jaws - I used these in this manner for car bullet connectors a long time ago.0-004-00.jpg


Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 15/10/2019 11:42:49

DiogenesII15/10/2019 11:47:59
589 forum posts
234 photos

I wonder if PF stands for Pepperl & Fuchs.. ..Industrial Sensor Manufacturers.. I think Nick is on the right track..

Chris Shelton15/10/2019 15:12:53
92 forum posts
46 photos

I have a pair of the pliers shown in the first photo, and have always thought they are used to crimp scotch lock connectors on wires, if that's not what they are designed for, they do this job admirably.

Edited By Chris Shelton on 15/10/2019 15:14:55

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Sign up to our Newsletter

Sign up to our newsletter and get a free digital issue.

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest