Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

Lidl grinder/belt sander 29.99

Lidl from 2019.10.13

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian G13/10/2019 12:55:15
618 forum posts
25 photos

I just picked up a grinder/belt sander from Lidl for just under thirty quid. Looks to be better than I expected at the price, with the whole motor housing and base being metal, and it should take standard 686 x 50 belts from Screwfix. The rests are as good (bad) as other cheap grinders, but it is possible to set the sander stop square to the belt to use as a poor man's linisher.

Brian

20191013_125134.jpg

old mart13/10/2019 13:53:49
802 forum posts
77 photos

They are not bad for the price, I have had better luck with the Lidl Parkside products than the Aldi equivalents.

If I had one, the grinding wheel would be replaced by a left hand taper to run polishing mops on to.

Bazyle13/10/2019 21:00:29
4797 forum posts
187 photos

Agree. I got one as it is so much lighter than my main grinder or belt sander to take outside to avoid the dust/grit problem. As suggested by Old Mart I will probably put something else on the other end. Also good starter for teenage relation or keeping at your parents' house for odd job maintenance. The rests are a bit crap though.

Today they had some drill sets. While I'm not so sure about the plain drills not being sort Chinesium  I got a set of brad point wood drills for £3.99 as backup.

Edited By Bazyle on 13/10/2019 21:07:08

larry phelan 114/10/2019 13:51:53
527 forum posts
11 photos

Don't know about the belt sander, but I have bought two sets of their HSS drill sets, one for the workshop and one for the toolbox, and I cannot say I have found anything wrong with them.

Bought them some four years ago, broke some of the smaller ones [it happens ], still using the rest, just touch them up from time to time. OK for the price.

Bought one of their 4 1/2" angle grinders about 14 years ago, still using that !

old mart14/10/2019 21:40:04
802 forum posts
77 photos

I went shopping in Lidl today, and bought one of the mains powered 20 watt LED spotlights for £14.99. You have to connect your own cable, three core, and I had a spare computer power lead. The light is designed to work outside, so it is waterproof. There is a remote control which fortunately has a continuous light mode as I fancied using it on the Tom Senior mill. Having one as a machine light gives 1500 lumens, which dazzled me while I was trying to make sense of the remote without having read the instructions first. Two of these on a mill would be great and not break the bank. The size is 7" by 5" by 1 1/2" deep. Check it out on the Lidl website.

Bob Stevenson14/10/2019 23:25:02
313 forum posts
6 photos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imSku86-rLE

Watch from 4:47 to see simple conversion of this tool.

larry phelan 115/10/2019 15:30:45
527 forum posts
11 photos

Just wondering, why did he not part off with the tool, why the hacksaw?

Also, too much old talk.

Gary Wooding15/10/2019 16:31:54
595 forum posts
141 photos

I guess the tool bit wasn't long enough.

thaiguzzi15/10/2019 17:15:17
598 forum posts
131 photos
Posted by old mart on 13/10/2019 13:53:49:

They are not bad for the price, I have had better luck with the Lidl Parkside products than the Aldi equivalents.

If I had one, the grinding wheel would be replaced by a left hand taper to run polishing mops on to.

Concur. Looks ridiculous for the price.

I have a Creusen linisher/polisher similar and i'm embarrased what that cost 16 years ago....

not done it yet15/10/2019 18:15:31
3579 forum posts
15 photos
Posted by old mart on 14/10/2019 21:40:04:

I went shopping in Lidl today, and bought one of the mains powered 20 watt LED spotlights for £14.99. You have to connect your own cable, three core, and I had a spare computer power lead. The light is designed to work outside, so it is waterproof. There is a remote control which fortunately has a continuous light mode as I fancied using it on the Tom Senior mill. Having one as a machine light gives 1500 lumens, which dazzled me while I was trying to make sense of the remote without having read the instructions first. Two of these on a mill would be great and not break the bank. The size is 7" by 5" by 1 1/2" deep. Check it out on the Lidl website.

Keep your receipt.emotion The warranty, if three years, might be needed. I staple the receipt inside the ‘destruction’ manual, hole punch the manual and store in a ring binder - otherwise they easily get lost. One PIR controlled LED I have sometimes flickers for some time when it turns on, but I’m not sure if that one is ex Lidl. They are improving these lamps all the time, of course.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Warco
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest