Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

Plinth size?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cornish Jack13/10/2019 11:08:16
954 forum posts
134 photos

I am hoping to make a brass profile of an aircraft to be hardwood mounted. The dimensions will be approximately 7" x 2 .5". I am totally lacking ANY art/proportional skills and would appreciate suggestions as to best size/ proportion for the plinth. I would also like to incorporate a bras plaque on the plinth with relevant details.

TIA

rgds

Bill

Emgee13/10/2019 11:19:13
1272 forum posts
210 photos

Bill, the number and size of the wording on the brass plaque will determine the size required so best start with that and then you may be able to fit that adjacent to the plane profile without adding too much more area.

Emgee

Mike Poole13/10/2019 11:19:33
2189 forum posts
52 photos

I suffer a similar disability with art and proportion but I think we all know when something looks right. I expect someone will have the answer you seek but otherwise I think I would try a few mockups and hope that the when it looks right it is right moment occurs.

Mike

Cornish Jack13/10/2019 12:25:31
954 forum posts
134 photos

Thank you Emgee - sounds good.

Mike - it's reassuring that others have the problem! Scissors and card to the fore!

rgds

Bill

pgk pgk13/10/2019 15:28:22
1486 forum posts
285 photos

And there's no need to feel constrained to rectangles, circles or ovals... arrowheads or clouds or a slice through an intersting log can be just as aesthetic. Some mnay years ago i bought a bunch of cheap small chopping boards to use as mounting boards for CCTV cams on pebble-dashed walls and still have some left (for the lazy)

cam00486.jpg

DMB13/10/2019 16:05:10
936 forum posts

I am not very clever with this sort of thing but a cereal packet cardboard mockup of what you think might fill the bill, always helps decisions. If I were doing this, I would start by making the plate first as suggested above, then arrange it in a pleasing position, then set about making the cardboard test piece allowing at least an inch, perhaps one and a half inches front and rear of fuselage, hull or whatever the model is and see what that looks like. Trim some off or sellotape a bit more card on til I was happy with it. Similarly with the other 2 sides, adjusting sizes until I was happy with the whole arrangement. Next, find piece of wood to replace cardboard. If its light coloured, a damn good sanding and a couple of coats of good varnish on the wood and the metal plate to prevent tarnishing. Maybe use 2 or 3 thinner pieces of wood of slightly different footprint glued together creating a stepped effect would enhance the appearance of the plinth. Have you thought about a glass or perspex case for dust exclusion? Good luck with project and give us a piccy or 2 of results.

John

not done it yet13/10/2019 17:54:28
3584 forum posts
15 photos

Pgk pgk

As soon as I saw your comment “ for the lazy” I immediately thought of standing a circular plinth on one - a Lazy Susan.smiley Could then have the writing all the way round the edge...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest