By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Creating Heat for Hardening

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Stevens10/10/2019 14:45:25
1095 forum posts

The link from John F includes an excellent colour chart of the various colours involved in the hardening and tempering processes. But, what is does not explain is that the lower half of the chart (up to 800F) is what you see by reflected light, and the steel surface needs to be cleaned and bright to show the colours properly. In reality, the coulrs are due to the thin layer of oxide on the steel surface (thicker as the temperature rises) - rather like the reflected colurs of a soap bubble. Above that temperature (top half of the chart) shows the colours of the radiant light (glowing) from the steel. These colours do not rely on a shniy surface, and can be seen in pitch darkness because the heat itself is producing the light. If this is not explained it is difficult to see how or why the colours change from red-ish at 500F, through blue, and back to red-ish again at 1200F.

The top half of the temperature chart is for hardening colours, and the lower half for tempering colours.

Cheers, Tim

Martin Dilly 222/10/2019 17:24:58
22 forum posts
3 photos

A bit of a pause there while other projects came along. However, I've made a fairly crude version of the two-bricks- and-a-torch hearth shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifTIuNt3aNY

However, I have a problem. When I fire up the propane torch and introduce it into the hole the flame goes out.The torch's air intake holes are outside and clear of the brick. The main internal width is around 2 inches, but it's not actually circular in section. I suspect it may be connected to the flame point 'bouncing back' from the wall it faces; if I leave the top half of the hearth off all's well till I put it back, at which out goes the flame. Suggestions welcome.

not done it yet22/10/2019 19:37:17
3477 forum posts
15 photos

Unfortunately it is a fact of life that the flame requires oxygen to burn the fuel. Disrupting the flow will cause the flame to extinguish. Either simply because products of combustion are being drawn in - instead of air - or that increased pressure is slowing the combustion air being drawn in by the ’venturi’ effect of the fuel flow. Improved design of the combustion chamber - shape, size - and improved exhaust exit from the combustion area are required. Slower heating is another option, utilising more heat from the hot gases generated before they exit the chamber.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
cowbells
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest