Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

Grinding wheel 'washers'

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cornish Jack07/10/2019 19:50:26
954 forum posts
134 photos

I have a Tiplap grinder with two original Boremaster wheels. They aren't really suitable for general grinding, so I am fitting a carborundum cup wheel . I have made a new mounting adaptor but I am unsure about the type of 'washer' to fit on either side. I have cut our a couple from the cardboard of a tool package. Is this appropriate or should they be made from something less 'agricultural?

TIA

rgds

Bill

John Reese07/10/2019 19:53:58
799 forum posts

I cut my "blotters" from the cardboard back of a writing tablet.

old mart07/10/2019 20:37:00
802 forum posts
77 photos

The cardboard from a cereal packet or slightly thicker would be fine, you could cut a stock and change them every time a wheel is changed. As you are obviously aware of the importance of the soft interface, there is nothing more to say.

Cornish Jack07/10/2019 21:00:02
954 forum posts
134 photos

John and Old Mart - thank you. Both your suggestions are much less 'spongy than the card I have - no writing tablet and no cereal packet . I have a nagging feeling that what I have produced is not ideal! I shall have to search further.

rgds

Bill

Grindstone Cowboy07/10/2019 21:55:38
140 forum posts
1 photos

If yours are a bit thin, just double them up. I have also seen vinyl flooring used - the spongy sort - but not entirely convinced this is 'right'.

Baz07/10/2019 22:02:27
269 forum posts

Use your favourite cereal packet, makes excellent washers, not convinced that vinyl flooring is suitable though.

Nicholas Farr07/10/2019 23:09:55
1998 forum posts
958 photos

Hi Bill, or just get some Blotting Paper

Regards Nick.

P.S. there are others available, the link is just an example.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 07/10/2019 23:13:45

ega07/10/2019 23:44:35
1340 forum posts
109 photos

Unless your flanges are rustproof I suggest you make the blotters from something that won't harbour moisture.

Joseph Noci 108/10/2019 06:46:13
549 forum posts
836 photos

Thin Gasket sheet from your local motor-spares supply works very well - I use around 0.6mm material. In my town, around £3 for a half square meter. Use the rest on your model engines..

Joe

mechman4808/10/2019 08:53:48
2522 forum posts
377 photos

Any of the above are deemed suitable; they are to allow for slight imperfections on the outer faces of the wheels & equalise the loading of the metal discs. As with all grinding wheels; apart from resin bonded type give them a 'ring test' with any non metallic tool, screwdriver handle, small hammer shaft etc, if it rings your good to go, if a dull sound, bin it, as it will have a crack/damage somewhere.

George.

Martin Kyte08/10/2019 08:54:11
1515 forum posts
24 photos

As I understand it what you are trying to acheive by interposing 'soft pads' between the clamp washer and nut and the wheel is the avoidance of local stress on the wheel caused by it's rough surface. basically something to conform to the surface and fill all the gaps. So still enough to hold firmly buut soft enough to give a little to spread the load.

Pretty much all the materials that have been suggested above fit the bill.

regards Martin

Cornish Jack08/10/2019 09:12:32
954 forum posts
134 photos

Thank you all again.

From all the advice given, I'm concerned about the compressiblity of the cardboard I had intended to use. As I said, it's just a standard piece of a cardboard box and doesn't have the less compressible qualities of e.g. gasket material - maybe I'm over-worrying!

rgds

Bill

Michael Gilligan08/10/2019 10:02:57
14270 forum posts
627 photos

The elfin folk have very kindly provided this, free to download: **LINK**

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/hsg17.pdf

It’s an excellent little document, and p19 is particularly relevant.

MichaelG.

Pete Rimmer08/10/2019 14:07:35
484 forum posts
24 photos
Posted by Cornish Jack on 08/10/2019 09:12:32:

Thank you all again.

From all the advice given, I'm concerned about the compressiblity of the cardboard I had intended to use. As I said, it's just a standard piece of a cardboard box and doesn't have the less compressible qualities of e.g. gasket material - maybe I'm over-worrying!

rgds

Bill

I think you are Bill. All of the wheels I have in my workshop have simple paper blotters. Not much give in them at all.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Warco
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest