All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Graham Williams 1204/10/2019 21:26:57
41 forum posts

Thanks Mick

Graham

Robert Wheeler10/10/2019 22:25:07
2 forum posts

Hi, Does anyone know where I can get a new pulley wheel tyre for the ALDI portable bandsaw?

Neil Wyatt11/10/2019 13:11:58
18809 forum posts
733 photos
80 articles
Posted by Robert Wheeler on 10/10/2019 22:25:07:

Hi, Does anyone know where I can get a new pulley wheel tyre for the ALDI portable bandsaw?

Before people have used ones of other saws, or used inner tube. Either a slice of a big one stretched round or a strip of a small one glued in place.

There's a thread on this somewhere

Neil

peak411/10/2019 14:07:29
1545 forum posts
165 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 11/10/2019 13:11:58:

There's a thread on this somewhere

Neil

Here's one of the more recent discussions

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=143678

Bill

Pat Bravery16/10/2019 17:23:45
96 forum posts
24 photos

I have had to return my Aldi bandsaw today as it kept throwing the saw blade, I checked it out and the rubber tyres on the drive wheels had started to disintegrate. It was probably caused by using thin oil as a lubricant when making cuts, has anyone else experienced this? I have always used this method so I will try using the saw dry when the new one arrives. I have to say that Aldi were very good and the refund was no problem at all. Regards Pat

not done it yet16/10/2019 17:29:56
6445 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by Pat Bravery on 16/10/2019 17:23:45:

I have had to return my Aldi bandsaw today as it kept throwing the saw blade, I checked it out and the rubber tyres on the drive wheels had started to disintegrate. It was probably caused by using thin oil as a lubricant when making cuts, has anyone else experienced this? I have always used this method so I will try using the saw dry when the new one arrives. I have to say that Aldi were very good and the refund was no problem at all. Regards Pat

Did you read the ‘destruction’ manual? If it says cut dry it probably means cut dry.smiley

Robert Wheeler16/10/2019 17:39:53
2 forum posts

Hi, I think this was part of my problem, I have bought a tyre from a british supplier. Not the correct one but it is a very tight fit on the pulley and seems to be working ok. like you i will be using it dry, not happy but needs must when the devil drives.

Bob

Pat Bravery17/10/2019 11:12:02
96 forum posts
24 photos

Hi, I have dug out the manual and I can't see any mention of the use of cutting oil, I always have used a lubricant when doing any cutting on machinery and surely that is standard workshop practice. Is it a normal practice to cut dry on bandsaws? Regards Pat

Douglas Johnston17/10/2019 11:44:31
762 forum posts
34 photos

Thank goodness I have read this thread. I have just bought the Aldi saw and have only cut some wood so far and was intending cutting some metal this afternoon. Like Pat I always use cutting oil when cutting metal on a bandsaw and would probably have ruined my rubber wheels if I had done so. This should be made very clear in the instruction booklet. Close shave there then, so thanks for pointing that out.

Doug

not done it yet17/10/2019 20:02:01
6445 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by Pat Bravery on 17/10/2019 11:12:02:
. Is it a normal practice to cut dry on bandsaws?

It is on mine. Specifically states ‘cut dry’.

ChrisB17/10/2019 20:12:21
649 forum posts
207 photos
Posted by not done it yet on 17/10/2019 20:02:01:

If the pulleys are not all metal then it is a 'cut dry' saw. Mine has cast iron pulleys and likes oil a lot.

Bill Phinn17/10/2019 20:51:28
612 forum posts
89 photos

I've just taken delivery of mine.

Either I'm being very stupid or the saw has problems.

First "problem" is that the vice jaws don't meet or clamp parallel. I took the fixed jaw plate off, and tellingly there was a grape-pip sized piece of swarf mashed between the jaw plate and its mount, but unfortunately removing the swarf only improved the problem slightly, it didn't cure it. Short of shimming the fixed jaw (am unwilling to) I can't see a solution.

Second problem is that the saw blade leans out, i.e.doesn't come down perpendicular on to the work. The outcome of this can be seen in the image with the square. The brass bar in this case was cut standing on its edge - partly to minimize the ferocious jaw lift when anything under about 1/2 inch thick is clamped in the vice.

Any advice would be appreciated.

aldi bandsaw vice.jpg

aldi bandsaw cut.jpg

IanT17/10/2019 22:52:51
1918 forum posts
185 photos

Hi Bill,

I think you will find that there has been a fair bit of negative comment on YouTube about the vice provided (and it's poor quality). I intend to use the saw mostly in vertical mode - I'm busy making the stand at the moment. However if I find I do need to use the horizontal cutting stand provided, I'm simply going to change the vice for something more suitable, as I have a suitable one made some years ago. On my power hacksaw, I sometimes have problems holding the stock being cut securely (and the vice on that saw is very well made) and get around it by using packing (to help keep the jaws parallel and/or help grip the work better). I sometimes also have to provide sacrificial support beneath the work to stop it being pushed down.

I've not noticed the other problem you mention but as I've only used the saw to rough-size some stock material (before machining it) mine may have a similar (as yet undiscovered) problem. Are you sure it's the blade that's off-kilt - or could it be the stand mechanism? The later may be easier to fix. Are you also sure the work isn't moving?

Regards,

IanT

Bill Phinn18/10/2019 00:18:48
612 forum posts
89 photos

Thanks for your reply, Ian.

I'm pretty sure the workpiece isn't moving; I cut half a dozen different pieces of material in succession and all showed exactly the same small degree of unsquareness (as seen in the pic) after cutting.

I can't really tell at this stage whether the blade lean is a fault with the blade twisting or is being caused by the support arm/pivot mechanism not holding the saw blade perpendicular to the base. I've tried to remove as much slop as possible in the pivot mechanism by tightening the 19mm domed nut at the pivot point as hard as possible to still allow unhindered pivoting up and down, but it made no difference to the blade lean. If the mechanism is what is causing the lean the only thing I can think of that might cure it is to put packing under one side of the arm's base plate, but I'm not sure how satisfactory a solution this would be.

Did you have an alternative idea about a fix for this?

Bill Phinn18/10/2019 01:35:12
612 forum posts
89 photos

I've just put a square on the vice, with the saw blade near the bottom of its travel and the vertical of the square just touching the edge of the saw blade. I raised the saw up until the edge of the blade was level with top of the square - distance betweeen saw blade and square at the top was approx 3/16", whilst being zero at the bottom, hence the angled cuts I am getting. Am still hopeful of a solution before committing to a return.

Pat Bravery18/10/2019 05:59:32
96 forum posts
24 photos

Did you read the ‘destruction’ manual? If it says cut dry it probably means cut dry.smiley

At the risk of making myself look stupid, where in the instructions does it say to use the saw dry? I have read it a few times and I can't see it but then I am getting on a bit. Regards Pat

Douglas Johnston18/10/2019 09:14:27
762 forum posts
34 photos

My saw also has a slight problem with the vertical alignment of the blade. I was also thinking of a shim under one edge of the base of the tilting fixture to correct this. I notice that the gap between the rollers of the blade guides is a little too wide which probably accounts for the slight misalignment. Unfortunately there is no adjustment possible there.

I assume that you are supposed to release the tension in the blade when the saw is not in use but the lever is quite stiff. I wonder if it does any real harm to keep the blade tensioned when not in use.

Doug

IanT18/10/2019 09:54:50
1918 forum posts
185 photos

Hi Bill,

I'm not going to be able to take a look at my saw (and the stand geometry) till next week now but will have a closer examination then. If it's a 'stand' problem, then a shim might do the trick but I think I'd also dissemble the pivot and have a look at that.

Douglas, on my INCA (wood) bandsaw, I always try to remember to ease off the band tension after use, as I think this is good practice. However, I've also read that if the saw is in regular use there is no need to do this - only slackening the tension when it will not be used for long periods. However, with the simple lever action on the Aldi saw, I'll be slackening after every use unless I forget to do so. May be worth trying to ease the lever a bit or it might just ease itself over time.

Regards,

IanT

not done it yet18/10/2019 16:34:26
6445 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by Pat Bravery on 18/10/2019 05:59:32:

At the risk of making myself look stupid, where in the instructions does it say to use the saw dry? I have read it a few times and I can't see it but then I am getting on a bit. Regards Pat

I did use the word “if”. That is exactly what I meant.smiley

not done it yet18/10/2019 16:45:19
6445 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by ChrisB on 17/10/2019 20:12:21:
Posted by not done it yet on 17/10/2019 20:02:01:

If the pulleys are not all metal then it is a 'cut dry' saw. Mine has cast iron pulleys and likes oil a lot.

I have no reason to believe the wheels on mine are not metallic. Most likely Aluminium. But they do have a friction coating/covering and that is non metallic. No ‘tyres’ on yours? Quite unusual, I would think? I assume my saw band would like some lubrication/cutting oil, but the rim material would not. Can’t manage all the requirements all of the time, so as the instructions say ‘dry’ dry it is.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
walker midge
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest