By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Brown & Sharpe 2L surface grinder - drive gear teeth pitch?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike Poole21/09/2019 12:08:17
2112 forum posts
51 photos

It might be worth investigating how the first tooth got broken, it does seem reasonable that some of the damage has been caused by the initial event. If the reversal is savage rather than smooth then maybe there is a fault. Worth checking I think or your repair or replacement may soon look like it does now.

Mike

Adam Harris21/09/2019 12:28:13
438 forum posts
19 photos

Yes Mike I agree . Taking the carriage off is a somewhat complicated task but is happening soon in order to replace a reversing connector rod which has snapped at both ends, and a general inspection underneath and clean up. All will be investigated.

Edited By Adam Harris on 21/09/2019 12:33:09

Howard Lewis21/09/2019 15:45:15
2337 forum posts
2 photos

Being a Brown and Sharpe, it would seem likely that the gear is DP rather than Mod.

Measure the OD over the "unbroken" teeth, in inches. Count the number of teeth (N ).

OD = (N + 2) / DP or putting it another way

DP = (N + 2) / OD.

For a Module gear, the calculation would be similar, but using mm instead of inches.

HTH

Howard

Andrew Johnston22/09/2019 12:15:41
4855 forum posts
544 photos

I wonder if my grinder might be different? It simply says Brown and Sharp and No.2 on the plate. Here are the basic table controls:

b&s controls.jpg

To start the table feed the knob labelled Start is turned a few degrees clockwise and then let go when it springs back to the original position. This engages a pin held in the horizontal casting between the Start and Stop controls. As the Start knob is rotated the Stop lever also moves slightly but also returns to it's normal position. To stop the table feed the Stop lever is knocked anti-clockwise; it only moves a few degrees before disabling the feed. Once the table feed is active the table direction can be reversed manually by moving the Manual Reverse Lever from side to side. This picture shows the table reverse stops and reverse dog in the manual position:

b&s manual reverse.jpg

For auto table reverse the reverse dog is moved to the vertical:

b&s auto reverse.jpg

It's important that the reverse dog is between the stops; it can get exciting if it isn't! Standard table speed is 33ft/min and there's a fair old clonk, and the machine shakes, at each reverse.

Andrew

Adam Harris22/09/2019 12:41:53
438 forum posts
19 photos

img_1336.jpgimg_1337.jpgHi Andrew, it is VERY kind of you to show some pics with description of yours. My 2L is slightly different being i think the later model of your 2 but with same functions (the 2B & 2LB were manual feed only I believe). Here are the official photos with descriptions of function taken from the 2L manual which is available free online from Vintage Machinery. Incidentally I have the complete manual for yours as well in pdf form which is from the same site - a bit large to email 34.8mb so better to get it directly from Vintagemachinery.org. While the manuals are very detailed I was wondering if it missed describing all the position functions of the Start Lever. Your Start Lever being a wheel rather than straight handle makes it difficult to compare position functions. My Start Lever seems to have 3 different positions which leads me to guess that someone has already been in there and reassembled it incorrectly (why would you have Stop Lever that knocks out Manual Feed but fails to Knock out Auto Feed!). Kind regards, Adam

Edited By Adam Harris on 22/09/2019 12:43:35

Edited By Adam Harris on 22/09/2019 12:47:49

Adam Harris22/09/2019 12:57:13
438 forum posts
19 photos

Also my Table Speed Lever giving choice of 2 positions (19ft/min or 31ft/min) does not seem to be connected to anything inside and has no impact on speed which seems alarmingly fast to me!

Edited By Adam Harris on 22/09/2019 13:04:56

Adam Harris22/09/2019 19:28:04
438 forum posts
19 photos

Well after further examination today in better light and of less worn teeth at the end of the rack, I have determined that the PA is 14.5 degrees (like Rob Cox's Eagle). On Monday I will check prices at Davall and HPC  and others but they seem to do only PA 20  racks & gears of DP10  so would mean buying both parts at some £150. Perhaps will just mend the rack and continue with the existing Drive gear for a while until I track down a 14.5  DP10 Drive gear

Edited By Adam Harris on 22/09/2019 19:59:47

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne oct 2019
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest