By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Water Lifter Hose

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
tom hardy18/09/2019 12:24:54
11 forum posts
5 photos

where can i buy steel reinforced lifter hose for a 1 1/2 traction engine

tom hardy

Brian Sweeting19/09/2019 14:57:53
419 forum posts
1 photos

What size tube are you looking for and material type?

There is a good range of 'plastic' reinforced tubing available.

JasonB19/09/2019 15:04:16
18117 forum posts
1996 photos
1 articles

Quite a few makers get a small rubber hose and then wind thing galvanized wire around it. You can leave as that or add a layer of self amalgamating tape. MJ Engineering do some suitable black rubber hose for just that job

Heritage steam sell scale water lifter hose but only for the large scale engines

Clive Brown 119/09/2019 15:16:27
427 forum posts
12 photos

For the 1 1/2" Allchin, W Hughes described wrapping tinned copper wire around 1/4" rubber tube. He suggested grey tube, which is not common, and fuse wire, 10 or 15 amp, I forget which, but it's 0.015" dia or 28 swg.

His method was to wrap 3 lengths of wire side by side, then remove 2, to give the spacing.

Oldiron19/09/2019 15:20:55
442 forum posts
22 photos

Nip over to your nearest hydraulics & hose supplier or agricultural outlet. Depending where you are you could try these people. They will always help the small user. Hose supplier     regards

Sorry just noticed you are in WA from your earlier posts.  The info should be of help to yourself and others though I hope

Edited By Oldiron on 19/09/2019 15:22:18

Edited By Oldiron on 19/09/2019 15:25:27

Trevor Drabble19/09/2019 15:25:07
208 forum posts
5 photos

As per Jason's suggestion , Blackgates also sell a selection of suitable hose in different diameters.


tom hardy21/09/2019 00:52:22
11 forum posts
5 photos

thank you people for the info well done


Neil Wyatt21/09/2019 21:37:41
17896 forum posts
706 photos
77 articles

I came across a suggestion of winding a loose spring with hard stainless steel wire, then inserting it into a tube of heat-shrink tubing. I imagine it isn't very flexible, but not sure how much you need it to bend.


Nick Clarke 322/09/2019 09:46:32
764 forum posts
26 photos

Does it need to be steel reinforced or to have the appearance of steel reinforced?

In an article about making vacuum brake pipes W.A (Bill) Carter described how to wrap wire around a pipe and run an electric current through it to burn the appearance of the corrugations into the pipe.

If you need it I will dig out the reference to the issue.


All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest