By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 11th

Just bought an ML7, what should i do first?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Howard Lewis14/09/2019 11:13:31
2327 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Shaun,

Yes it looks like the Reilang that I have. I removed the nipple at the end,mounted it on a mandrel (The thread is M5 or M6 ) and turned it to a slower taper, so that the slightly smaller nose would fit into small ball oilers more easily.

I can only recommend it. It very rarely leaks oil, but can generate enough pressure to force oil through the ball oilers on the saddle of my lathe until it appears under the wipers on the bed.

Howard

Don Cox14/09/2019 14:27:12
40 forum posts

Shaun

A couple of years back I was lucky enough to inherit a couple of Valvespout oilers. These have small, on/off controllable, nozzles which will fit into the original Myford "flush ball" type oilers ball apertures and those in he grease nipple types too. The balls are then pushed off of their seats to allow oil in, I have one with H32 and the other with k68 grade oil in, they both easily deliver controlled amounts into all of the oilers on my two Myford 7s and an ML8 . Have a look at one on: www.longs.co.uk/acatalog/Longs_Shopping_Site_Oilers_83htm

Don

Shaun Belcher14/09/2019 23:40:24
21 forum posts
Posted by Howard Lewis on 14/09/2019 11:13:31:

Hi Shaun,

Yes it looks like the Reilang that I have. I removed the nipple at the end,mounted it on a mandrel (The thread is M5 or M6 ) and turned it to a slower taper, so that the slightly smaller nose would fit into small ball oilers more easily.

I can only recommend it. It very rarely leaks oil, but can generate enough pressure to force oil through the ball oilers on the saddle of my lathe until it appears under the wipers on the bed.

Howard

OK, thats helpful to know, I think I will grab one and give it a shot.

I guess i need two oil cans, since these lathes require 2 different grades of oil?

Shaun Belcher14/09/2019 23:44:22
21 forum posts
Posted by Don Cox on 14/09/2019 14:27:12:

Shaun

A couple of years back I was lucky enough to inherit a couple of Valvespout oilers. These have small, on/off controllable, nozzles which will fit into the original Myford "flush ball" type oilers ball apertures and those in he grease nipple types too. The balls are then pushed off of their seats to allow oil in, I have one with H32 and the other with k68 grade oil in, they both easily deliver controlled amounts into all of the oilers on my two Myford 7s and an ML8 . Have a look at one on: www.longs.co.uk/acatalog/Longs_Shopping_Site_Oilers_83htm

Don

Thanks, Ill take a look at those.

As far as i can tell with my lathe, all the nipples require H32 grade, and K68 is just applied directly to the leadscrews and gears? Is that correct?

Thor15/09/2019 05:43:21
1116 forum posts
31 photos
Posted by Shaun Belcher on 14/09/2019 23:44:22:

As far as i can tell with my lathe, all the nipples require H32 grade, and K68 is just applied directly to the leadscrews and gears? Is that correct?

Yes, and K68 also on the slideways, as said here.

Thor

Edited By Thor on 15/09/2019 05:58:53

JohnF15/09/2019 11:33:58
864 forum posts
102 photos

Shaun, for an oil gun have a look here **LINK** I have two of these and they work very well, not 100% leakproof but very close, i also have the Myford "leakproof" model and mine leaks far worse then the cheapo listed here !

Regarding the bed re-grind by an engine re-builder a pal of mind did that for the surface then sorted the sides of the ways by hand with a bit out of the box thinking and it worked very well.

See your messages Cheers John

Good luck with the rebuild

Shaun Belcher16/09/2019 07:01:36
21 forum posts
Posted by Thor on 15/09/2019 05:43:21:
Posted by Shaun Belcher on 14/09/2019 23:44:22:

Yes, and K68 also on the slideways, as said here.

Thor

Edited By Thor on 15/09/2019 05:58:53

Thanks, thats what I thought. Looks straightforward enough.

Shaun Belcher16/09/2019 07:02:59
21 forum posts
Posted by JohnF on 15/09/2019 11:33:58:

Shaun, for an oil gun have a look here **LINK** I have two of these and they work very well, not 100% leakproof but very close, i also have the Myford "leakproof" model and mine leaks far worse then the cheapo listed here !

Regarding the bed re-grind by an engine re-builder a pal of mind did that for the surface then sorted the sides of the ways by hand with a bit out of the box thinking and it worked very well.

See your messages Cheers John

Good luck with the rebuild

Thanks for that info.

Ill take a look at that gun. Is the nozzle long enough to reach the nipple inside the gearbox?

Will check your message.

not done it yet16/09/2019 07:53:57
3341 forum posts
11 photos

IF it is not, one can always extend the part by a simple threading or soldering operation?

Shaun Belcher16/09/2019 12:47:01
21 forum posts
Posted by not done it yet on 16/09/2019 07:53:57:

IF it is not, one can always extend the part by a simple threading or soldering operation?

Quite possible, just have no idea on its construction without looking at it, either way, it looks a decent product.

not done it yet16/09/2019 13:44:34
3341 forum posts
11 photos

I actually just looked at the product as shown in the above link. It says it is supplied with two nozzles. That means the nozzles will simply be screwed in place? So it would seem an extension would incur a simple threading operation.

I have no idea of the quality by just looking at the pic, whether good or bad or average. Your latest post, however, seems rather ambivalent - in one part you say you have not yet looked but you then say it looks a decent product.

Shaun Belcher17/09/2019 09:48:43
21 forum posts
Posted by not done it yet on 16/09/2019 13:44:34:

I actually just looked at the product as shown in the above link. It says it is supplied with two nozzles. That means the nozzles will simply be screwed in place? So it would seem an extension would incur a simple threading operation.

I have no idea of the quality by just looking at the pic, whether good or bad or average. Your latest post, however, seems rather ambivalent - in one part you say you have not yet looked but you then say it looks a decent product.

it looks decent, but without physically looking at it and seeing how it works/fits, i dont have much idea.

I hate having to work on photos.

Michael Gilligan17/09/2019 10:01:18
13975 forum posts
605 photos
Posted by Shaun Belcher on 17/09/2019 09:48:43:
Posted by not done it yet on 16/09/2019 13:44:34:

it looks decent, but without physically looking at it and seeing how it works/fits, i dont have much idea.

I hate having to work on photos.

Probably worth reading the reviews: **LINK**

https://www.pressparts.co.uk/OxSiteRating.asp?RatedAccID=105926&ProductID=14443942&FilterMode=5

MichaelG.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne oct 2019
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest