Painting and Finishing

Call for articles

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Wyatt04/09/2019 10:50:10
18405 forum posts
718 photos
78 articles

This is my bete noir! I am the worst painter and finisher on the planet, which is why I like anodising - I can machine a decent finish and ruin it with a single coat of paint. Ironically, I am vaguely artistic so with some models you can 'weather' them and I'm not too bad at getting realistic effects, but showroom condition...

Finishing isn't just paint, though. We recently had a short series on powder coating and a review of an anodising course. There are lost of surface treatments and there are mechanical techniques like 'machine turning', burnishing, brushing, draw-filing and polishing - and so on.

In MEW we really haven't done much more than scratch the surface (sic) of this subject, often it's just a comment at the end of a build that mentions how the work was finished.

I'd be keen to see some good articles on different finishing methods - but please get in touch if you would like to write one - if I get six articles on HVLP spraying, I won't be able to use them all!

neil.wyatt@mytimemedia.com

Neil

Russell Eberhardt04/09/2019 14:55:39
2608 forum posts
85 photos

The best guide to painting models I've seen is "How (not) to Paint a Locomotive" by Christopher Vine.

Russell

Martin Kyte04/09/2019 15:27:04
2155 forum posts
38 photos

Whilst I agree with the comment that Chris Vine's book is the bees knees (having read it) it would be good to have some less ambitious set up described as stepping stones along the way to Christophers professional standard set up. I would welcome such articles with great interest.

regards Martin

Baz04/09/2019 16:44:53
524 forum posts
2 photos

I agree with Martin, also Chris Vine was spraying a large loco with, I believe HVLP equipment. It would be nice to have an article centred around the smaller model, perhaps 3.5 gauge loco, small traction engine etc sprayed with an airbrush, going into detail about what airbrush, what compressor etc and also going into preparation regarding primers, fillers etc, a big ask I know but there must be someone out there who could do it?

Bandersnatch04/09/2019 18:21:37
1719 forum posts
60 photos

In my experience (my) painting always looks lousy immediately after I finish but not nearly so bad after a month or two. proper levelling can take qite a while.

Neil Wyatt05/09/2019 14:31:54
18405 forum posts
718 photos
78 articles

I have Chris' book, while it's an inspiration with many useful tips, it's unlikely to be a level I will ever attain.

Short articles looking at specific processes or ideas would be welcome. I might even do one on how to disguise a bad paint job do realistic weathering myself.

Neil

Nick Clarke 305/09/2019 20:44:45
1014 forum posts
36 photos

A denibbing file is useful for sorting the run you did not want just there!

Denibbing File

Neil Wyatt06/09/2019 18:12:33
18405 forum posts
718 photos
78 articles
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 05/09/2019 20:44:45:

A denibbing file is useful for sorting the run you did not want just there!

Denibbing File

I assume you have to wait until throroughly dry.

I might get one of those. Looks like the sort of thing you need to have even if it doesn't get used...

Ron Laden06/09/2019 19:03:03
2071 forum posts
411 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 05/09/2019 14:31:54:

Short articles looking at specific processes or ideas would be welcome. I might even do one on how to disguise a bad paint job do realistic weathering myself.

Neil

You should do that Neil, that would be interesting. I have done quite a bit of weathering over the years.... R/C aircraft, model railway layouts and rolling stock etc, etc.

To my mind weathering makes a world of difference to most models, they look 10 times better than straight out of the paint shop. I can understand though that if you have spent a lot of time getting a near perfect paint finish it can be a bit daunting to dirty it up, but even a couple of hours with just some dry brushes and powdered artist pastels can transform a model.

Ron

Dave Halford06/09/2019 19:19:19
1139 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by Ron Laden on 06/09/2019 19:03:03:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 05/09/2019 14:31:54:

Neil

You should do that Neil, that would be interesting. I have done quite a bit of weathering over the years.... R/C aircraft, model railway layouts and rolling stock etc, etc.

To my mind weathering makes a world of difference to most models, they look 10 times better than straight out of the paint shop. I can understand though that if you have spent a lot of time getting a near perfect paint finish it can be a bit daunting to dirty it up, but even a couple of hours with just some dry brushes and powdered artist pastels can transform a model.

Ron

Ahem!

In which case Ron you sound like the man who knows, fancy a bit of typing??

Personally I hate the American 'make it look like the day it was made' approach.

JasonB06/09/2019 19:21:04
19556 forum posts
2142 photos
1 articles

I thought that Neil's models weathered naturally due to the long time it takes him to finish onedevil

Roger Vane06/09/2019 20:18:39
100 forum posts
18 photos

Could we please include a detailed article about lining as well? Bad lining can ruin a good paint job.

Thanks

Roger

Paul Kemp06/09/2019 20:59:35
589 forum posts
18 photos
Posted by JasonB on 06/09/2019 19:21:04:

I thought that Neil's models weathered naturally due to the long time it takes him to finish onedevil

In contrast Jason, your's should be covered in finger prints where the paint has not had time to dry...........wink 2

Derek Lane06/09/2019 21:35:13
371 forum posts
77 photos

Using airbrushes can be an art in itself. Have used a number of them to produce different effects on some of my work.

Many times when painting anything is when two different colours are required and you need to mask off to give a clean line between the two colours a small trick I use is paint the first colour them when dry mask off and then with the original colour spray along the mask line let dry and gently rub down then apply the second colour this gives a crisp clean line.

If using an airbrush aim across the masking tape and not at the edge as the paint can be forced under the edge .

There are some very good videos on u tube about airbrushing mind you there are also some bad ones just need to sort them out

Speedy Builder513/02/2020 19:38:54
2186 forum posts
152 photos

Just to resurrect this thread. When do you paint a model. For instance a loco. If you wait until the model is finished, you have to problem of stripping it down to the last nut and bolt to get to paint it. If you paint as you go, then you run the risk of spoiling / scratching paintwork or having to remove paint to fit a bracket etc.

What do you do ?

JasonB13/02/2020 19:43:09
19556 forum posts
2142 photos
1 articles

Strip down and paint..........................

.......................I also disassemble the modelsurprise

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest