By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Boxford Shaper Table Lock

Is there a horizontal table lock on the Boxford 8" Shaper?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alan Johnson 727/08/2019 14:06:48
106 forum posts
16 photos

I have a Boxford 8 inch shaper. It has the table that can be rotated, so it is a bit unusual.

I would like to cut a vertical surface on the shaper and to do so I would have expected to find a lock on the table such that it could not move horizontally, but I can't find it!

There certainly is a table lock to stop vertical movements of the table.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem, or is it not a problem at all? Is the mass of the table sufficient to not have to worry about it moving, or do I need to make up some "table stops' that fit the horizontal dovetail slide on the machine - one for each side of the table?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Alan.

DC31k27/08/2019 17:04:48
573 forum posts
1 photos

You are correct that there is no horizontal lock.

If possible, try to cut down the right hand side of the work as you stand in front of the machine. Then the cutting pressure is trying to stretch the leadscrew, nut and restraining collar. Once the lost motion is taken up, it should be solid. Exactly analogous to turning with a lathe. About the only time you need a cross-slide lock there is for an interrupted cut (hex or square turned to round) where movement is due to vibration.

Perhaps do a test piece with an indicator bearing on the side of the table and see if it moves at all.

I do not think two stops would be needed as the table should not move towards the cutting pressure. If needed at all, one should be enough.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
JD Metals
BOLDON
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest