By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

Kennedy Hacksaw bearing replacement

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Graeme Durant 123/08/2019 16:08:26
9 forum posts

Thanks, Bill. That confirms my suspicions! I had looked at the info on the lathes.co.uk site when I started out a few weeks back, but not since. They show a lovely picture of the underside, complete with two nuts - just as you describe. Sounds like I just need to be more brutal getting this incorrect and oversized bolt out!

Graeme

Howard Lewis23/08/2019 16:15:22
2212 forum posts
2 photos

Maybe the original bolt stripped the thread in the casting? Whatever, it sounds like a bush will be needed to take up the clearance between the current fastener and the original size bolt (seems to be M8? )

Howard

Graeme Durant 123/08/2019 16:22:12
9 forum posts

I don't think the bolt has to be fixed solid in the casting. There has to be wriggle room anyway,as this is the way to tension the drive belt. So a clearance hole is all that is required, and when I take out the stuck bolt, I reckon it will be good to replace with a clearance fit bolt.

The originals are Whitworth by the look of them, but replacing with metric like Bill is probably perfectly acceptable - unless you are keen to retain authenticity!

Graeme

AdrianR23/08/2019 16:22:40
272 forum posts
20 photos

Graeme,

All the bolts are with nuts underneath.

Did you notice in the manual that you move/ the saw, not the motor to tighten/align the belt. The two holes for the saw should be oval.

Adrian

Graeme Durant 123/08/2019 16:44:38
9 forum posts

Thanks Adrian - more confirmation! And yes, my base casting holes are oval.

Still begs the question why someone put an oversized but too short a bolt in the main casting by force or design....

Graeme

AdrianR23/08/2019 17:33:44
272 forum posts
20 photos

Brut force and ignorance?

Dave Halford23/08/2019 20:47:58
439 forum posts
4 photos

Don't forget these were made for black iron pipe, conduit or scaffolding fitters to carry around. Any repairs required on site would have been basic

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
Meridienne oct 2019
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest