By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Help needed north London Enfield

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ashley ferguson07/08/2019 16:26:52
9 forum posts

Would anyone be able to do me a massive favour and turn me a couple of tapers to fit my Super adept lathe obviously I'll supply all parts needed would need the taper on the tail stock done and a threaded side probably a 3/8th also need a dead center done

Howard Lewis07/08/2019 17:15:23
2337 forum posts
2 photos

If you are looking for centres, can you make your own?

Sacrifice two MT 0 drills, if you can find them, by cutting off the flutes. Mount in the Headstock. Offset the Top Slide by 30 degrees and turn the centre.

Repeat for the second drill, and you have nice new centres for both Headstock and Tailstock!

Howard

Howard Lewis07/08/2019 17:22:31
2337 forum posts
2 photos

Arc Euro offer a MT 0 mini live centre at ££11.81 in the catalogue Issue 10, so it will have increased in price by now.

RDG offer MT 0 dead centres , reference 2965901, at £5.94 incl VAT. there may be shipping additional cost.

HTH

Howard

Ashley ferguson07/08/2019 17:38:29
9 forum posts

The taper isn't a 0MT it's the small end of a 0MT extended hence needing one made

Neil Wyatt07/08/2019 18:03:51
16568 forum posts
687 photos
75 articles

I've replied to your PM.

An alternative suggestion is to get an MT0 taper reamer and open up the tailstock.

Neil

3404607/08/2019 18:07:58
738 forum posts
8 photos

Ashley

I would be inclined to run with Neil's suggestion.

Bill

Ashley ferguson07/08/2019 20:41:55
9 forum posts

Im probably missing something but the tailstock spindle is 0.354 ish so wouldn't be able to take a 0MT reamer?

3404607/08/2019 20:53:27
738 forum posts
8 photos

Large end diameter for a no O MT is 0.3561

Bandersnatch08/08/2019 02:00:04
1248 forum posts
40 photos

Does it need to go all the way in?

Frances IoM08/08/2019 07:38:03
643 forum posts
24 photos
the small end of a MT0 taper is also used on the Cowell's - you can buy these from Cowells tho not cheap - Tracy tools sell full size MT0 dead centres but they stick out a fair amount - you can buy small chucks intended for Dremels that can better hold small drills once you have a way of making a taper with the needed UNF thread
Howard Lewis08/08/2019 12:22:28
2337 forum posts
2 photos

Earlier drill chucks, if not taking one of the Jacobs tapers, are usually 3/8 UNF thread.

later ones, intended for reverse running, with a centyral L H thread Csk screw, are 1/2 UNF.

If this is any help

Howard

Steve Crow08/08/2019 17:27:06
151 forum posts
32 photos

Sherline use a half length MT0 taper in the tailstock. I can't remember whether it is the big or small end though.

Steve

Ashley ferguson08/08/2019 17:48:05
9 forum posts

I'll look into the yard length chucks and try and work out the best solution

Robert Dodds08/08/2019 22:14:18
264 forum posts
29 photos

Ashley,
This topic came up in 2014 and I copy a part of the thread with my photo of the modified arbor and drill chuck.
The thread was entitled "0MT drill chuck" under Workshop tools and tooling but I don't seem able to reference it directly for you.
Hope this helps

Bob D

Extract from 18/12/2014 thread, 0MT drill chuck

A photo of my turned down, cut down RDG arbor ready to fit to the chuck
The as turned taper needed a bit of lapping paste and polishing up to get it to grip reasonably in the tailstock socket
Note the flats on the 15mm shoulder dia. to allow a13mm spanner to tighten/undo the arbor from the drill chuck

Bob D

img_20141218_180234.jpg

Edited By Robert Dodds on 18/12/2014 19:39:23

Thats very good..Wish my little lathe did tapers!I was wondering about cutting the top off, leaving the narrow part the right lenght then welding a little blank on and use a die for the thread..Then I realised I need a straight shank with a 0mt to get it in the lathe chuck to turn it .I m on the trail of a short one..

U J,
I'm not clear what stage you're at. Does your little lathe let the small end of an M0 into it's sockets or are you, like me, unable to even start the standard M0 into the hole. Neil called the Adept a M00 and thats not a bad definition.
If Adept is what you've got then taper turning is probably involved but if you can get an M0 stubby into the headstock spindle taper you can proceed from there. cut off the excess leaving enough to turn a screwed spigot, say M4 or M5 on the end.
Now make a screwed bush out of say 15mm dia bar, matching your M4/M5 and rough turn to size for your drill chuck. To get best concentricity mount the part finished bush on the stubby arbor, put it back in your headstock spindle and turn the remaining dias true. Die the thread for your chuck, assemble it and go drill some holes.
I would not do any welding, too many stresses and distorsion. All normal cutting tends to tighten the threads up so there is little chance of things coming loose unexpectedly.
If you are stuck wiith lathe that has no facility for offsetting the tailstock, like the Adept, and want to do a slow taper there are simple attachments to put an adjustable centre on the tailstock barrel. these often use the MT hole but can also mount straight onto the outside diameter of the barrel. Making from scratch can be a bit involved but simpler designs should be possible with little more than a lathe with chuck and a pillar drill.
The frustrating part is setting it up to accurately match an existing, M00 say, taper

Bob D

Roger Woollett09/08/2019 14:46:35
109 forum posts
3 photos

I may be able to help - I have sent a PM.

If you do decide to make them for youself the most difficult part is setting the top slide to the correct angle. Once you have done this make several so you have some spares.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne oct 2019
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest