Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Sx3 mill

Spindle speed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike guitar06/08/2019 16:56:08
38 forum posts

Hi I've recently bought an sx3 mill. I was pleased with the whole process of the purchase, delivery when promised and delivered very driver pushed mill into garage on palette truck all highly satisfactory. Bought the mill from arceurotrade so congrats to them.

lifted mill onto stand with engine crane no problem whatsoever. I just have a question for other seig sx3 owners. When initially pushing the start button the up arrow enables the final speed of the spindle to be achieved. I appreciate by pressing the stop button at the chosen speed next operation of the spindle resumes from that last speed. I can't quite make my mind up if it's best policy to reduce the spindle speed with the down arrow to its original low speed rpm before pressing stop..just wondered what other owners of the mill do

JasonB06/08/2019 17:02:40
16269 forum posts
1721 photos
1 articles

The SX2.7 has a similar arrangement to set the speed. I just press the stop button and then the start so it ramps upto the previous speed which seems fine.

Only use the emercency stop as just that not for general stopping of the machine.

Mike guitar06/08/2019 18:47:37
38 forum posts

Thanks Jason. I've tried both methods both work fine of course. I.e. Reduce speed to nearly zero then stop. Then when required press start and increase speed. Also just pressed stop with spindle speed as set. I appreciate the electronics can handle the request was just interested in what was perceived to be the accepted method.

thanks again

JasonB06/08/2019 18:58:08
16269 forum posts
1721 photos
1 articles

For anyone with one of the Sieg mills with push button speed adjustment I wrote this about the SX2.7 with input from Ketan and is basically what I said above.

Mike guitar06/08/2019 21:13:13
38 forum posts

Thanks Jason

Kerrin Galvin07/08/2019 01:27:10
42 forum posts
9 photos

Hi Guys,

I have an SX4, but this may also apply to the other models, have heard that it did happen to an SX3. I had my control board die. After a bunch on google searching it appears that using the stop button puts a pulse thru the board, which is ok for awhile, then it kills the board!

Some guys had managed to fix there boards & the same thing happened again. I ended up replacing my board, had to wait several week, at the time my mill wasn’t that old! Oh I also used the speed control knob to stop the mill but used to push the estop when changing tooling etc...estop if a panic arose!

There is a fix by putting a relay in, where & how is outside my ability’s!

Jason maybe Ketan may be a where of this & can offer advise?

cheers Kerrin

JasonB07/08/2019 07:01:51
16269 forum posts
1721 photos
1 articles

Ketan does not stock the SX4 so won't have first hand experience of it. Also it used a knob to adjust speed not up/down buttons

What I wrote for the SX2.7 was as a direct request from Ketan as he had become aware of people (like yourself) using the e-stop for general stopping of the machine and that could do damage. He is away for a couple of days and possibly not watching the forum as much as he usually does.

Mike guitar07/08/2019 07:04:40
38 forum posts

Hi Kerrin thanks for reply. I spent all my working life in electronics.i was just interested on how other users stopped their mills. Sounds a bit daft eh...oh well..I know I'm an old nerdie.i think even though it's a longer operation I prefer to reduce the spindle speed then press stop. I also have a wm16 and must admit I've never bothered about reducing the spindle speed on that or on a 250vf lathe. I'm pleased with the mill so was not complaining.thanks for your input

Kerrin Galvin07/08/2019 14:35:47
42 forum posts
9 photos

Hi Jason,

Yes i am aware that Ketan doesnt sell the SX4, just thought he may have info on the issue.

I reduce the speed to zero using the speed knob. Its been a couple of years since the board failed im pretty sure that i used to do it then as well but used to push the estop to change tooling, cant remember using it to just stop the mill

Like i said i only gad the mill a couple of years & hadnt done that many hours when it failed. Searching online

indicated that it was not an uncommon occurrence!

Mike,

Since having to fork out the thick end of $400 for a new board i havent used the estop! After all replacing boards cuts into other tool purchases!

Cheers Kerrin

Mike guitar07/08/2019 16:16:51
38 forum posts

Just as a follow up. I had emailed arceurotrade with a question along the same lines. I received a call back from Ian ( very rapid response) how often do you get that kind of service from a supplier?) We had quite a long conversation Ian reiterated never use the emergency stop switch to stop the spindle ( unless of course in an emergency).

basically I can use either method. I think I'll adopt the ( probably old and nerd version) run the spindle speed down each time before pressing stop then run it up again to continue milling. Occasionally I may just push the stop button.

I'll just add I've only had the Mill operational for four days but find it excellent and arcs service unquestionably first class and I've got no axe to grind

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne oct 2019
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest