By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Motor plate help needed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Evans29/07/2019 13:32:38
311 forum posts
8 photos


I would really appreciate some help with this motor plate. Would this be a motor I could run from a 3 phase digital inverter from a 240v supply? seems to have a delta symbol and then a sort of star symbol but also can run a 2 speeds. Andy

Emgee29/07/2019 14:12:09
1439 forum posts
212 photos


Dahlander circuit with 2 speeds in 1 direction, the motor is intended to be used with a special contactors switching arrangement that uses a Delta or Star connection for Low speed and a Double Star for High speed.
There will be 2 sets of windings and both are used in each configuration, in series for the low speed Star or Delta and in Parallel for the High speed star connections.

I can't see any voltage stated on the plate but would think 380/440v as it is a 50Hz motor.



Edited By Emgee on 29/07/2019 14:13:41

old mart29/07/2019 14:30:41
1501 forum posts
136 photos

Running an inverter from single phase mains usually requires the motor to be setup in delta, so if you can figure out how to set the links it should be fine.

It looks like the motor is 3.7 - 5.5 KW according to the speed selected, you are unlikely to be able to able run from an ordinary socket, it will have to have a dedicated consumer unit, like an electric shower. That 3.7 - 5.5 might be the amps per phase though.

It would help if you tole us what machine the motor is used on.

Andrew Evans29/07/2019 23:39:17
311 forum posts
8 photos

Thanks, that helps. It's from a Reiden lathe I am thinking of buying. Andy

Robert Atkinson 230/07/2019 07:34:10
600 forum posts
16 photos

This will run from an inverter but as old mart says you will need a dedicated feed. Not necessarily it's own consumer unit (CU) but certainly it own 25 or 32A circuit breaker in an existing CU and either 4mm2 (possibly 6mm2) twin and earth cable or if the workshop is outside 2.5mm steel wire armoured cable (possibly 4mm 2 if a long run) to a dedicated isolator and box for the inverter.
If you have other large electric loads like a cooker, shower, water heater etc that may be on at the same time you need to look at the supply capability. Many houses only have a 60 amp main fuse so a bit of heavy turning while SWMBO is showering while dinner cooks and the washing machine is on might exceed the capacity of the supply.

Robert G8RPI

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest