Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Blast

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Vic29/07/2019 11:23:40
2255 forum posts
11 photos

I was flattening the end for a ceramic lamp holder on the belt sander the other day and failed to either tighten or remove the screws to prevent them getting lost. One fell out and I couldn’t find it anywhere. No problem, bound to have an M2.5 x 5 somewhere. I spent about 30 minutes trying to find one so gave up and ordered some online. A day later going through my fasteners for another job a found a packet of you guessed it, some M2.5 x 5 screws. To add insult to injury I found the original “lost” screw sitting on my bench about an hour later. Some days you just can’t win.

Nicholas Farr29/07/2019 11:25:52
1976 forum posts
936 photos

Hi Vic, been there, done that, sort of thing.

Regards Nick.

mark costello 129/07/2019 18:15:45
541 forum posts
12 photos

Went to put some surplus brake hardware away, found 2 -not 1-2 kits already there with the needed parts mocking Me.

Vic29/07/2019 18:18:42
2255 forum posts
11 photos

I keep buying stuff in the hope of it coming in handy at some point and then forget I’ve bought it. Buying twice is a false economy ... laugh

Nigel Graham 229/07/2019 19:02:04
386 forum posts

Vic -

The absent screw turned up on your bench... You too have a house-proud mouse in your workshop?

+

Some years ago - before I owned a computer - I wanted to carry out an rather awkward calculation, a bit too much for pencil-and-paper. I forget what but it was model-engineering related.

Could not find my scientific calculator anywhere!

Slide-rule then? Could not find that either.

Nothing for it but to use logarithm tables, with a little revision from the example in an old engineering text-book that contains the tables.

Next day, went to Woolworths for a replacement calculator; surprised to find that in a reverse pattern to early portable 'phones they'd not shrunk but expanded from shirt-pocket to cagoule-pocket dimensions.

Three weeks later, searching for something else, I opened a drawer and there was the original calculator! I decided homes and workshops develop tiny black-holes, floating randomly but invisibly around the place (light can't escape...). They eagerly swallow anything loose in gravity-range but with insufficient energy to sustain themselves, soon dissipate and drop their loot anywhere but where you'd originally put it.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowbells
Warco
Meridienne oct 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest