Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Armchair Engineering?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SillyOldDuffer29/07/2019 11:12:58
4711 forum posts
1010 photos

Help! One of those jobs I expected to be easy has gone sour.

My devotion to Armchair Engineering has worn out my single most important tool, a Sedus Office Chair.

seat.jpg

Foolishly I thought this would be a simple upholstery job. I've replaced fabric before on a office chair that came apart with no trouble. This one's not obvious because the seat sits in a plastic pan which hides how it's fixed together:

labelled.jpg

Short of violence I can't see how to take it apart. Most of the holes have nothing underneath. The exception is two holes at the rear of the pan allowing access to a pair of small splined-head bolts (about 4mm diameter). Loosening them has no obvious effect. (I'm nervous of taking them out in case something falls off inside!)

Any advice please?

Ta,

Dave

Nicholas Farr29/07/2019 11:23:43
1976 forum posts
936 photos

Hi SOD, maybe its just clipped into place like car door panels are, if so you'll just have to find where they are and maybe make a suitable forked tool to get behind them to pop them out. Just a thought.

Regards Nick.

HOWARDT29/07/2019 11:25:55
452 forum posts
14 photos

I replaced the material on mine which I bought in 1991 for sitting in front of the computer for six years doing an OU degree. I think the original material lasted about ten years and replaced it with some upholstery fabric which still shows no sign of wear.

The base and back plastic covers are actually clipped in place, a b it of brute force and ignorance is required to separate them. I think that they are like most things and not meant to be recycled. I did break some of the clips in taking it apart but it has held together and is used daily for some hours.

Not much help but unless someone has took some photos of one that is all I can offer.

V8Eng29/07/2019 11:46:30
1314 forum posts
28 photos

I stripped an old office chair some years ago, the cushion was fixed to a wooden plate which had captive nuts and was removed by undoing four (I think) screws from underneath. The backrest was of very very similar construction.

The wood was hidden under the upholstery, hope I got that right as my knowledge of furniture is minimal to say the least.

Edited By V8Eng on 29/07/2019 11:51:48

3404629/07/2019 12:00:49
738 forum posts
8 photos

Slip on covers which can then  be easily taken off for washing ?

Bill

Edited By 34046 on 29/07/2019 12:12:11

Baz29/07/2019 12:12:20
256 forum posts

Is it worth all the aggravation, bin it and buy a new one.

Bob Stevenson29/07/2019 12:29:20
302 forum posts
6 photos

Select a long(ish) beefy screwdriver and slide it between the plastic pan and the cusion and see if you can lever enough gap to shine a torch to see what holds the two together......

Neil Wyatt29/07/2019 14:53:14
16568 forum posts
687 photos
75 articles

You are clearly in need of a stool softener.

N.

Meunier29/07/2019 19:56:12
247 forum posts
1 photos

Neil, do you mean 'not so much a repository as a suppository' ?
DaveD

Howard Lewis29/07/2019 22:30:16
2337 forum posts
2 photos

You are not alone, too many hours on this site has rendered my chair similar.

Looks like Upholstery will need to be added to the short list of skills before too long

Howard

Blue Heeler29/07/2019 23:16:16
189 forum posts

Worn out? That's just broken in.

Mick B130/07/2019 08:34:04
1187 forum posts
66 photos

I use this one from Ikea - it's a sort of Gucci swivel tank-gunner's seat. wink

Roberget chair

It even comes in WW2 German Panzer Grey.

It discourages verbosity 'cause you don't wanna sit on it that long.

Pity it seems to be NLA.

SillyOldDuffer30/07/2019 08:47:12
4711 forum posts
1010 photos
Posted by Blue Heeler on 29/07/2019 23:16:16:

Worn out? That's just broken in.

True, but you should see the state of my bottom!

30460 - slip on covers - yes, though the arm-rests make it harder.

Bob Stevernson - 'see if you can lever enough gap to shine a torch ' - good idea, and reminds me I have an endoscope that might fit in.

V8Eng, Howard & Nicholas - the other seat I mended was screwed together as V8Eng describes, but given the lack of access from underneath I think clips are a distinct possibility. I'm confident to try violence now..

Baz - buy a new one - goes against the grain because I'm canny with my money, but I take your point. Depending how unclipping goes, this might be the right answer.

Neil & Meunier - I'm sitting on those ideas! smiley

Thanks

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowbells
Warco
Meridienne oct 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest