By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Using a brake cylinder

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nathan Sharpe24/07/2019 23:15:18
131 forum posts

Just a general question. Has anyone used or thought of using a vehicle brake cylinder in their modelling? Nathan.

Mike Poole24/07/2019 23:34:03
2115 forum posts
51 photos

What did you have in mind?

Mike

peak424/07/2019 23:41:29
852 forum posts
71 photos

I used a Landrover one as a universal head to hold end mills for sharpening on my Clarkson..

A bit rough and ready, but sufficed for several years.

Next plan, when I get round to it, is to source a slightly larger clutch slave cylinder to make some top hat bushes to allow the use of my ex-brake slave cylinder end-mill collets with my larger proper universal head.

Bill

Edited By peak4 on 24/07/2019 23:44:21

Nathan Sharpe25/07/2019 00:04:56
131 forum posts

Mike, I was thinking about a traction/steam cylinder. Much modification but is it possible? N

Howard Lewis25/07/2019 12:12:38
2341 forum posts
2 photos

A clutch slave cylinder will have a blank end and an inlet port at the other end. There may be enough "meat" to drill for ports to the valve face / bore at the other end. A drum brake slave cylinder is likely to be open at both ends with a central inlet port.

Hopefully, the material will be cast iron, rather than light alloy.

The material should be capable of withstanding far higher pressures than those seen in a model loco, or road engine.

Howard

John MC25/07/2019 12:33:09
181 forum posts
24 photos

Was there a design for a Robinson type hot air engine using a car brake cylinder described in ME some years ago?

May have used a beer can for the displacer, (I could be wrong about that).

John

Ian S C25/07/2019 15:46:57
7447 forum posts
230 photos

According to James G, Rizzo, there is a brand of drink in UK that uses a stainless steel can this is used in at least one of his engines that was featured in Model Engineer. Aluminium cans are far from ideal for use as displacers.
I have a brake cylinder somewhere in the workshop waiting for a motor to need a cylinder, I have decided that to make the best use of it, I will turn the outer diameter, and use it as a cylinder liner. I was looking at a (full size) cylinder liner in the junk box the other day, I think that if I cut it in half I might make a Ross Yoke type ALPHA motor with about a 4" bore. The liner needs reboring (that's why I'v got it).

Ian S C

DiodeDick27/07/2019 11:27:59
3 forum posts
2 photos

I used a cast iron double-ended rear brake cylinder from a Hillman Avenger as the body for a baby VDH for my Norfolk (nee Flexispeed Meteor) 2" x 12" lathe. I had to cut off the bit that takes the brake pipe and bleed nipple and fix the rest to a piece of 1/4" plate from below. There might have been some packing to get the centre height right. I made a shouldered bush for the mandrel nose end to support a 1/2" mandrel and a double ended one, like a stud coupling with no threads, to support the index plunger at the other end.

That little lathe was also fitted up with a Cowell screw-cutting kit and a back-gear using gears from a scrap damper actuator. It did a lot of good work for me. All that stuff went when I traded up to a Myford.

I sometimes wish that I had kept it for the mantelpiece.

DiodeDick

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Meridenne Boat 2019
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest